G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Time to say goodbye to my G37 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:58 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ well your car has something in common with his civic. "a farty and inappropriate exhaust" sounds like you should upgrade to another g37

2010 Audi A5 2.0T - Short Take Road Test - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
Old 06-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Alto101
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that it is time for this thread to end. OP, enjoy your car but don't expect many G enthusiasts to like your new car. The G coupe (my wife's car) and its cousin (370z - my car) are amazing cars and you not find many people here that think the Audi is at the same level as our beloved G's/Z's....

I am sure that you will have a much warmer reception on the Audi boards.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:18 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cvroom
^ well your car has something in common with his civic. "a farty and inappropriate exhaust" sounds like you should upgrade to another g37

2010 Audi A5 2.0T - Short Take Road Test - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver
Yup, I read that review already. I find the exhaust extremely quiet...almost too quiet. That's one thing I miss about the G37. But at least I can hear the turbo spool up.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:42 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Alto101
I think that it is time for this thread to end. OP, enjoy your car but don't expect many G enthusiasts to like your new car. The G coupe (my wife's car) and its cousin (370z - my car) are amazing cars and you not find many people here that think the Audi is at the same level as our beloved G's/Z's....

I am sure that you will have a much warmer reception on the Audi boards.
No problem...I'm not looking for approval or a warm reception. I've been a member here for a looong time. As much as I liked my G, I've have to say that I obviously like my Audi even more. It would be weird for me to get rid of my mint 1-year-old G37 for a car that I liked less.

And as for this thread...if you want it to end, just stop posting in it.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:58 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
I'm not Jesus...I'm just a mere mortal.
har har
You've never even driven one, so your opinion is meaningless. Your only comparison is that you've driven a VW. Sorry, but it's a different driving experience. BTW, a Jetta TDI doesn't compare to an A5 at all.
Have you driven a GTI? Because I find it funny how you accuse me of having an invalid opinion because I haven't driven an A5, then that makes yours just as invalid since you have probably never driven a GTI. I'm sure the driving dynamics of the A5 are much different once you start to turn the wheel but when it comes to straight line acceleration, I don't see how the A5 with its extra 600 lbs will be much different than a GTI. Both cars peak horsepower and torque at the same RPM's. One has more torque but it's also much heavier but in the end both cars post near identical 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with the GTI having a slight edge.
I'll say it one more time since you seem to have missed it--the A5 is more than fast enough for me. If someone else likes the car, but it's not fast enough for them, they have two good options: 1-Buy an S5. Same car, with a V8 engine and will run away from a G37. Yes, it's more money, but still...it's a faster car. 2- Chip the A5. Then you'll be right with the G37 in acceleration. Want to go even faster? Swap the KO3 for a KO4.
My money is still on the G against a chipped A5. One thing you're right though, it's easyto add power to turbo cars. But it's also easy to do things wrong and seriously affect its reliability.
Obviosly if power/acceleration were an issue for me, I would either gone with option 1 or option 2.
Good for you. Enjoy your sexy but slow car.
Ironically, I never thought my G37 was a fast car. Like the Audi, it's a decently powered car that has more than enough performance to drive nicely on any road. The boy racers can argue about tenths of a second all day long and I'll just sit back and smile. Seriously, some people really need to grow up already...
The G is not that fast, but it's certainly not a slow car. Can't say the same about a 2.0T powered A5.
LOL, I just read in another thread that you're 35 years old and you drive a Civic.

Just about anything should be an upgrade to you. Seriously, time to dump the teenagers car...
Yes that civic serves one and one purpose only: To take me to and from work while averaging 34 mpg's. I keep the miles in the G low and save some money in the process. It has zero mods, not even rims. Nothing wrong with owning a civic if it's used for what was designed for.

Oh yeah and it's incredibly reliable. An my previous Toy was a 2006 Mazdaspeed6. A very nice, rare and pretty quick car. But I wanted something a bit more luxurious with an AT. Owning a M6 on Hawaii traffic gets old.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Trincap

Well here's my replacement. But it replaced the 458 Italia. I was going to get nothing but then they sold me the FF. (I know I know, it's ugly. It's not like it's costing me anything so don't beat me up for it. Besides it has 670 HP and I can take it uh skiing. not that I would)
Anyways, the FF isn't due to get here till November and they wanted to make sure to keep me in a current model so they gave me this thing. It's no 458. Had three of those and loved em. But I suppose for 4 or 5 months it will be fine. Then the FF for the winter then the 458 Spyder in the spring. Can't wait for that. Might even keep that for a more then 3 months!

Old 06-30-2011, 10:29 PM
1NEETO

Originally Posted by Trincap
Well here's my replacement. But it replaced the 458 Italia. I was going to get nothing but then they sold me the FF. (I know I know, it's ugly. It's not like it's costing me anything so don't beat me up for it. Besides it has 670 HP and I can take it uh skiing. not that I would)
Anyways, the FF isn't due to get here till November and they wanted to make sure to keep me in a current model so they gave me this thing. It's no 458. Had three of those and loved em. But I suppose for 4 or 5 months it will be fine. Then the FF for the winter then the 458 Spyder in the spring. Can't wait for that. Might even keep that for a more then 3 months!

I.hate.you.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:23 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by 1NEETO

Have you driven a GTI? Because I find it funny how you accuse me of having an invalid opinion because I haven't driven an A5, then that makes yours just as invalid since you have probably never driven a GTI. I'm sure the driving dynamics of the A5 are much different once you start to turn the wheel but when it comes to straight line acceleration, I don't see how the A5 with its extra 600 lbs will be much different than a GTI. Both cars peak horsepower and torque at the same RPM's. One has more torque but it's also much heavier but in the end both cars post near identical 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with the GTI having a slight edge.
I have driven a GTI. Several times, in fact. A good friend of mine owns one. Actually, he on his 3rd GTI and I've driven them all.

My money is still on the G against a chipped A5. One thing you're right though, it's easyto add power to turbo cars. But it's also easy to do things wrong and seriously affect its reliability.
A chipped A5 is should run about the same times as a stock G37. I'm just putting that out there...I can't prove it and I really don't care. Like i said, mine is stock and is very likely to stay that way. It's just nice to know that a simple chip can make big gains on this engine. And the KO4 turbo upgrade brings everything to another level. If I were still 20 years old, I'd probably already be chipped with a KO4.

Good for you. Enjoy your sexy but slow car.
Thanks. I will. Actually, I already am

Yes that civic serves one and one purpose only: To take me to and from work while averaging 34 mpg's. I keep the miles in the G low and save some money in the process. It has zero mods, not even rims. Nothing wrong with owning a civic if it's used for what was designed for.
Hmmm....34 mpg? That's it? I can nearly get that in my A5. Personally, I'd hate to drive an econobox just for the fuel economy. It really doesn't make much sense to me to have a second car to save gas money. The money spent on purchasing (or leasing) the car, plus the tax/tags/insurance etc..that I'd have to pay would more than offset anything I could save at the pump. Plus, I'd be stuck driving a crappy little econobox, wishing I was in my nice car instead. But hey, if it works for you, more power to ya.

Oh yeah and it's incredibly reliable. An my previous Toy was a 2006 Mazdaspeed6. A very nice, rare and pretty quick car. But I wanted something a bit more luxurious with an AT. Owning a M6 on Hawaii traffic gets old.
Yeah, I'm sure it's a reliable car...they've always been known for that. Traffic or no traffic, I'd still have to have a manual trans. I live in NY (just north of Manhattan), so I know all about traffic.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:19 PM
1NEETO

I have driven a GTI. Several times, in fact. A good friend of mine owns one. Actually, he on his 3rd GTI and I've driven them all.

A chipped A5 is should run about the same times as a stock G37. I'm just putting that out there...I can't prove it and I really don't care. Like i said, mine is stock and is very likely to stay that way. It's just nice to know that a simple chip can make big gains on this engine. And the KO4 turbo upgrade brings everything to another level. If I were still 20 years old, I'd probably already be chipped with a KO4.

Thanks. I will. Actually, I already am

Hmmm....34 mpg? That's it? I can nearly get that in my A5. Personally, I'd hate to drive an econobox just for the fuel economy. It really doesn't make much sense to me to have a second car to save gas money. The money spent on purchasing (or leasing) the car, plus the tax/tags/insurance etc..that I'd have to pay would more than offset anything I could save at the pump. Plus, I'd be stuck driving a crappy little econobox, wishing I was in my nice car instead. But hey, if it works for you, more power to ya.

Yeah, I'm sure it's a reliable car...they've always been known for that. Traffic or no traffic, I'd still have to have a manual trans. I live in NY (just north of Manhattan), so I know all about traffic.
Yes it does 34 mpg's on mixed city/highway driving, that's not bad at all almost matching hybrids. Plus it takes regular gas. My G on the same conditions average around 18.5 on premium gas. Also driving the civic makes me appreciate the G even more when I drive it. Plus it's paid off and the insurance is dirt cheap. I've been very tempted to give it some more power, maybe a turbo kit. But that non VTEC 1.7 liter is completely hopeless, so if I ever modify it, that would mean a motor swap.

At least it's 5 speed and has a tach LOL!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Breitling65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL, you're absolutely clueless.

BTW, I am on the Audi forums. I'm also still a member here. Don't let that bother you, m'kay?

And I didn't say I'm out 10 times already. Not even close. ReNow go read your comic books or ride your skateboard, junior.
Clueless of what? Why are y still here? Time to post some non-sence on Audi forum, for example how much more powerful A5 than G37. They might believe you there...
Old 07-02-2011, 02:36 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A chipped A5 is should run about the same times as a stock G37. I'm just putting that out there...I can't prove it and I really don't care
I LOL'd at this...

But alot of emphasis is on the power deficit on the A5. it's slower than the G37 in terms of magazine numbers but in the real world the more important aspects are day to day drivability. things like luxury, reliability, and other amenities come into play. it's obvious MSCA didn't need 330hp and was going for a more a 'lean back cruiser' with really hot looks. Isn't that what an A5 is? I've test driven the 2.0T on the A4...it's 'slower', but the acceleration is more than adequate for anything 99% of people need. I'm not even going to get into the interior of Audis which is just ridiculous. Back in late 07 I was looking into a used B7 S4...sure a used E46 M3 would have gotten me better magazine numbers and would have danced around the S4 on a track....but the S4 was definatley more of the every day car for me.

btw for everyone else's info chipped A5:

APR Presents Stage II ECU Upgrade for the B8 A4/A5 & Q7 2.0 TFSI « APR News

Stock – 212 HP & 260 TQ

Stage 1 91 Octane – 229 HP & 323 TQ
Stage 2 91 Octane – 239 HP & 353 TQ

Stage 1 93 Octane – 234 HP & 333 TQ
Stage 2 93 Octane – 242 HP & 362 TQ

About 250hp (flywheel) on a good day (with 93 octane). but look at the puttering around usable tq at 362! not bad...
Old 07-03-2011, 12:24 AM
MSCA
Banned

I find it ironic that there are G37 fans/owners who focus so much on speed when the G37 isn't really all that fast in the grand scheme of things. Is it a quick car and fun to drive? Absolutely. Will it get it's *** handed to it by a number of faster cars? Absolutely. But so what? If someone is so into street racing, there are certainly faster cars available, some even less expensive than a G37. Anyway, the point is that a G37 isn't exactly a car I'd want if the stoplight Grand Prix was my thing.

And that's also exactly how I feel about my A5. Like my G37, the A5 has more than enough power to be a lot of fun on any road. Whether it's climbing a winding mountain road or just blasting down the interstate, the power is NEVER lacking. Maybe I'm just a bit more of a mature driver than some of the people posting in this thread...

Yes, the A5 is a high 14 second car in stock form. And that's just fine with me. Hell, back when I had my 5.0 Mustang, it ran high 14's to low 15's in stock form. And that was considered fast back in those days. Sure, other cars have caught up and/or surpassed that level of performance, but that doesn't make an old 5.0 Mustang any less fun to drive. It was fun then and it's still fun now.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:28 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Breitling65
... non-sence ....
Didn't I already tell you how to spell that word? Silly kid...
Old 07-03-2011, 08:17 AM
1NEETO

I find it ironic that there are G37 fans/owners who focus so much on speed when the G37 isn't really all that fast in the grand scheme of things. Is it a quick car and fun to drive? Absolutely. Will it get it's *** handed to it by a number of faster cars? Absolutely. But so what? If someone is so into street racing, there are certainly faster cars available, some even less expensive than a G37. Anyway, the point is that a G37 isn't exactly a car I'd want if the stoplight Grand Prix was my thing.

And that's also exactly how I feel about my A5. Like my G37, the A5 has more than enough power to be a lot of fun on any road. Whether it's climbing a winding mountain road or just blasting down the interstate, the power is NEVER lacking. Maybe I'm just a bit more of a mature driver than some of the people posting in this thread...

Yes, the A5 is a high 14 second car in stock form. And that's just fine with me. Hell, back when I had my 5.0 Mustang, it ran high 14's to low 15's in stock form. And that was considered fast back in those days. Sure, other cars have caught up and/or surpassed that level of performance, but that doesn't make an old 5.0 Mustang any less fun to drive. It was fun then and it's still fun now.
Yeah low 15's was considered fast back in 1990. It's 2011 now and nowadays grandma's camry can do mid 14's.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Breitling65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't I already tell you how to spell that word? Silly kid...

yap-yap, nothing else to say?

Quick Reply: Time to say goodbye to my G37 coupe