Sponsored By:

Time to say goodbye to my G37 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:55 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aexis
Some of the negative comments I've seen are about spending equal or more money for the A5 that has less HP. HP isn't everything, some people value interior/exterior aesthetic (subjective), comfort, different performance bands (low end torque vs pure HP), clutch engagement differences etc. Anyway, if the price to HP ratio is really the driving factor for so many people all of us should have just gotten the 2012 Mustang that makes 400hp+ for 30k instead of the 330hp G for 40k+! Ya it is not a sport luxury car and the numbers might be slightly off but you get the idea. The A5 is a great car and I hope you enjoy it.
Good point about the Mustang...if HP per dollar were a big concern, the Mustang would definitely be on the top of my list. But as you said, I'm not focused on HP.

The interesting thing here is this-- Although the A5 engine makes less HP than the G37 engine, it actually makes more torque in the lower rev range. So yes, the G37 is the faster car, but the A5 feels just as powerful (or even more powerful) when driving around simply because the engine makes quite a bit more torque throughout most of the RPM range. That's why I said it's a fantastic car to drive, even though I wouldn't drag race it. I really don't want to start a big pissing match, so let me just say that the A5 never feels underpowered to me, and that's compared to my G37 that I've had for about a year now.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:09 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by koa789
The guy has been a member here since 2005 and has been a long time Infiniti owner. I think that not only as Infiniti enthusiasts, but also as car guys in general, we would be open to the idea of someone from our community getting a new car and wanting to share it with the rest of us. It's not like he came in here and said "A5 is so much better than the piece of **** Infinitis you all drive, I can't believe I ever owned one!" There is absolutely no need for negative comments at all. And on what level is the A5 worse than the G? In pure HP? (yes) In smoothness of the engine? (no)In terms of cargo capacity and passenger space?(no) Looks? (subjective) AWD performance? (Quatro>ATESSA in the G) Fuel efficiency? (no) Everyone has their own criteria of what is good and what is bad in the car. I for one hate how coarse and rough the VQ is. I wish it was half as smooth as the EA888 and I wish it made the torque the EA888 makes at 2000rpm. I would be a lot better driving experience in traffic. A vast majority of the people don't spend their time driving their G37 between 5200 and 7800rpm.
Yeah, man...I love my G37, no doubt about it. The problem here is that I love the A5 more. Still though, I wouldn't have made the switch so soon if things didn't align perfectly for me. First, I'm selling my car to a friend for a good price. Secondly, I'm getting a great price (invoice deal) on the Audi. So why not make the switch? If I regret my decision, I can easily get back into another G again. Honestly, if I would have driven the A5 prior to buying my G, I probably would have bought the A5. It is incredibly difficult to find an A5 with a manual transmission (which is a must-have for me) to test drive at Audi dealerships. They just don't have any on their lots. Still though, I don't regret any of my decisions so far. the G was great and I'm sure the Audi will be too.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:28 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
well the A5 is alot slwer 0-60 times to the g37.. i love the car my friend owns one i and love it.. the power off the line is amazing and with just a chip you can get great tq numbers and alittle bit more HP..but if i was going to buy a audi it would be a S model.my other buddy owns a S4 and it just insane
Old 04-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Art Vandaley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL and another one bites the dust... alot of BMW owners are going to the A5 coupe... there is about 4 white ones that are parked outside my gym... im not sure where the A5 or S5 is going to fit in the line up when 2012 Quattro will come out... more aggresive look possibly more HP.. and way lighter...

in any case good luck with the new car!!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:46 AM
MSCA
Banned

From what I've read, the new Quattro will not be coming out in 2012. Maybe 2013 or 2014 is more realistic. Either way, it's supposed to start at $90K, so don't expect to see many of them on the roads. It's definitely not going to compare with the A5 or S5 in any way.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Art Vandaley

lol its going to be built on the A4-A5-S5 platform...
Old 04-19-2011, 12:09 PM
ACoupe

I can never truly say a car is really "rare" in the area in which I live and work (Toronto and a suburb). I see just about anything you could want to see with regards to hot cars. And in the summer months it's just silly.

Two weeks ago I saw a new Black 458 Italia parked outside my office and that weekend saw a red one as I was picking up my new Coupe.
I see A5s and S5s almost on a daily basis. Porches, BMWs, Audis, all are plentiful. Ferraris and Lambos are a touch more rare, though in the summer months they are out in force on the weekends.

I bet within a month of Canada seeing the Quattro, that I will see one on the road near work or home!

One car I've not seen is a Veyron. Hopefully I'll be able to tick that off the list.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:22 PM
jlac13

A5 and S5 are common here in south florida. I see them all the time especially in miami beach... I would say that I see 3 for every 1 G... So I guess it really depends where you live. About the Veyron... I've seen 2 so far here is evidence!
Attached Thumbnails Time to say goodbye to my G37 coupe-imagejpeg_2.jpg  
Old 04-19-2011, 12:26 PM
ACoupe

NICE!
It really does depend on where you live. I visit a friend in Rochester and it's always: Chevy. Chevy. Ford. Chevy. Chevy. Ford. Honda. etc.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:33 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Art Vandaley
lol its going to be built on the A4-A5-S5 platform...
So what? That means nothing. It's supposed to be a $90K car that makes 450+ HP. Do you really think its going to mean anything to the A5/S5 models? Seriously?

Like I said, you'll hardly ever see one on the roads. Probably about as much as you see the R8. In other words, they won't be selling many of them. So again, the Quattro (if it ever even makes it into production) will have zero impact on the A5/S5.

Last edited by MSCA; 04-19-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:38 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by ACoupe
I can never truly say a car is really "rare" in the area in which I live and work (Toronto and a suburb). I see just about anything you could want to see with regards to hot cars. And in the summer months it's just silly.

Two weeks ago I saw a new Black 458 Italia parked outside my office and that weekend saw a red one as I was picking up my new Coupe.
I see A5s and S5s almost on a daily basis. Porches, BMWs, Audis, all are plentiful. Ferraris and Lambos are a touch more rare, though in the summer months they are out in force on the weekends.

I bet within a month of Canada seeing the Quattro, that I will see one on the road near work or home!

One car I've not seen is a Veyron. Hopefully I'll be able to tick that off the list.
Seeing any car on the road a few times doesn't make it common. I see Camrys and Accords everywhere I look. Those are common. To a lesser extent, I see BMW 3-series a lot also. Those are somewhat common.

I live less than a mile away from a Ferrari dealership, so I see various Ferraris in my area as well. Are they rare cars? Sure they are...just because I see them every now and then doesn't make then any more or less exclusive.

If you really want to know which cars are rare and which cars are common, just look up the sales numbers.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:48 PM
ACoupe

I'm not saying they aren't "rare" by sales or by brand definition, but as I mentioned I see them, pretty much every day, all over the area. And as was mentioned, it depends on where you are located. I couldn't buy most cars out of some desire to own a car no one else does, or rather that few do, because of how common place some sports/exotic cars are around here.

Sure, Ferraris are far less common than a Honda, or Toyota, however in the summer months I can honestly say I see one nearly every day, and that's a variety too, not the same car (last summer I was seeing a plethora of Californias, such a great-looking car in person).

I did a BMW and Audi count on my way home a few weeks back, and before I gave up out of bordom, I had counted roughly 40+ for BMW and in the 30's for Audi, on a 50 minute drive home.

The A5 is really nice, as all Audis are. That Quatro looks pretty damn cool too.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:05 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by ACoupe
I'm not saying they aren't "rare" by sales or by brand definition, but as I mentioned I see them, pretty much every day, all over the area. And as was mentioned, it depends on where you are located. I couldn't buy most cars out of some desire to own a car no one else does, or rather that few do, because of how common place some sports/exotic cars are around here.

Sure, Ferraris are far less common than a Honda, or Toyota, however in the summer months I can honestly say I see one nearly every day, and that's a variety too, not the same car (last summer I was seeing a plethora of Californias, such a great-looking car in person).

I did a BMW and Audi count on my way home a few weeks back, and before I gave up out of bordom, I had counted roughly 40+ for BMW and in the 30's for Audi, on a 50 minute drive home.

The A5 is really nice, as all Audis are. That Quatro looks pretty damn cool too.
I totally understand what you're saying. I see at least 3 Ferraris every single day, just because I live so close to a Ferrari dealership. I'd guess that most people don't usually see a single Ferrari in an entire week. Or maybe a month, depending upon where they live. So by that theory, I agree with you that it depends upon your area.

At the same time, for every Ferrari I see, I probably see 200 Accords and Camrys every day. So when I say a car is rare, what I mean is that I don't see one at every intersection. One of the things that I like about the A5 is that it is not a car that I see all over the place. I'm lucky if I see one per day. Actually, I'm always on the lookout for them on the roads now that I'm buying one. In the last week, I spotted 2 of them on the road and one parked in a commuter parking lot.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:11 PM
ACoupe

Agreed.
Tragically, most of the Ferraris I see are being driven by wives of the obviously ultra rich, who really shouldn't be driving a Ferrari.

Congrats again on the A5, it's always been one I've admired.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:02 PM
mike904

Originally Posted by MSCA
Actually, it's not easy to find many new A5s on a dealer lot....so no specials, lol. They just don't make many of these cars, so most people have to place an order and wait. This is especially true if you want a manual transmission A5.
I drove through the local Audi lot last weekend and they had more R8s (2) than A5s (1). The red convertible R8 was gorgeous enough to make a deal with the devil............

But the A5 is also a beautiful car - congrats!

Quick Reply: Time to say goodbye to my G37 coupe