Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Time to say goodbye to my G37 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:31 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
No, because Audi apparently doesn't want to crank them out as fast as they can make them. They are obviously not going for the high sales/low profit business model. If they were, there would be a lot of them sitting on dealer lots.

BTW, the S5 comes with the same size wheels and tires as the A5 (with the sports package) and I prefer the design of the wheels on the A5 much more than the S5. Personal choice, I guess. The seats on the S5 are not as nice as the seats on the A5 (again, with the sports package) either. I don't like the highback bucket seats on the S5. I prefer the bucket seats with the separate headrest on the A5. Power side mirrors are on both cars (are you kidding me?) Suede roof? WTF are you talking about? The headliner? LOL, who gives a crap about that? Yeah, I guess you're right that I don't care.
Yes the headliner, sorry about that. I actually looked at the S5 when I was pricing my e550 coupe. I liked the headliner and mirrors, did not like the feel of the seats either. Enjoy your car man.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:37 AM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't believe I read all 3 pages...anyways op must be getting a deal because to get all the matching features to a loaded G37S, you need to order the prestige package and S line and that pushes the price to like 52k....Don't get me wrong I think the car is a nice choice for some, but they do still have reliability issues according to my friend who is an Audi/vw mechanic... Good luck, and happy trails to you !
Old 04-17-2011, 12:48 AM
tfongg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
probably already saw but I got the same thing, love it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 04-17-2011, 01:15 AM
1NEETO

Originally Posted by MSCA
Maybe I will just to prove you wrong and make you look stupid. Problem is that Id have to scan them in because the were taken back in the very early 90's before digital cameras.
I think it would be cool to see some vintage import drag racing pictures. Making me look stupid would be a nice bonus.
Who said anything about needing it? I just said it was a mod I made to the car. It was new technology back then.
that's why i asked what kind of hybrid. An HKS T3 exhaust manifold is not something you could order from HKS catalog in those days. Unless you had one of the very early "frankestein" hybrid turbos (Mitsubishi turbine side with Garret impeller side) since that's the only hybrid turbo that would bolt on the stock exhaust manifold. I highly doubt there were anyone building frank turbos for dsm's back then.

Again, this was 20 years ago. Sorry that I haven't thought about the diamond star cars for all these years. I never cracked open the engine or did anything at all to the car other than bolt-ons.
Well to know what kind of engine you had, you didn't need to open up the engine. A clutch replacement (which I'm sure you must have had in order to run 12's since the stocker would not be able to take the abuse of 12 second passes, at least not for long) would be more than enough to know to see if you had a 6 bolt or 7 bolt engine. I'll help you out, the 7 bolt came out in 1993 which suffers from the dreaded crankwalk.

Nonexistant? Really? LOL. Greddy wasn't around yet, but you must have heard of HKS, right? Did you know that they had stages for building up the Eclipse/Talon in 1990? Stage 1 was just their exhaust. Stage 2 was their PowerFlow intake, complete with the big green filter element. Stage 3 was an EVC....etc... I can probably find my old HKS catalog if I dig through my closet.
a power flow intake and cat-back was good for mid 14's. Cranking up the boost to 15 psi (15 was considered safe on stock fuel system, which raises the question what kind of fuel upgrades you had on your 12 sec talon) would make you reach high 13's. So even if HKS had a few parts for the 4G63, those bolt ons would make your car run mid 13's at best. You were basically on the trial and error days of DSM tuning. If you were indeed on the 12's you must've broken a few parts in the process.

LOL, no, it wasn't. Not everybody was trying to make a name for himself (like Buschur) by building a Talon. I wasn't the only one who broke into the 12's back then. You've got to be kidding me if you think Buschur was the first.
I'll take the benefit of the doubt about this since there's simply no proof. I do remember one of my DSM friends claimed that he got into the 12's before Buschur on his 1990 talon in 1991. So who knows. Fact remains that a DSM in the 12's back in 1991 would be something to talk about back on those days, and many would know your name.

Wrong again. Like I said, HKS could get you into the 12's in 1990 with nothing but bolt-ons from their catalog. I'm not the only one who did it.
bs again. You needed a bit more than bolt ons in those days to reach 12's. A evc, intake and exhaust was nowhere near enough for 12's. Even with a hybrid turbo 12's was not easy.

It wasn't a save. I never said anything about having Talon parts on my Eclipse as a reason I said TSi instead of GSX. I just liked the Talon parts better. I also put the wrap-around spoiler from the Talon on my Eclipse, but I had it painted gloss black first. Looked better than the flat black that it was painted from the factory.
Again I'll take the benefit of the doubt. I just found it extremely odd you said eclipse tsi.

I'm sure you probably owned one I'm not doubting that. What I doubt is that you ran 12's with it back in the early 90's.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:09 AM
chairman25

Good luck on the Audi, the A5 is a great looking car. I have driven the S5 and it is stupid fast and pushes all of the right buttons for me. But that car comes in around 60k
You will love the A5's fit and finish, tight handling, and the aroma of the leather interior. The only thing that I do not like is the sun roof does not retract it only tilts.

I am sure you will enjoy it. Go over to AudiWorld and get familiar with the car, many of those guys have modded them successfully.

Good Luck
Old 04-17-2011, 10:22 AM
chairman25

I have been reading all of the negative comments and back and forth, it makes for an unfriendly environment. If he is happy with the car, it is his money and he should spend it any way he wants. My opinion is that it is a better made car than the G (I have owned several Audis and Infinitis) has much more trunk room, the Quattro is second to none.

I ordered an S5 when they first came out, I could not wait 8 months since my lease was expiring on my current car. I went to Infiniti and bought a G35 XS. At first, I was extremely disappointed, the car handled like a turd. Come to find out that the entire front suspension and all of the shocks had to be replaced, they were prematurely worn. The car was 1000% better after it had a good supension installed (under warranty), but I digress.

My biggest problem with Audi (I looked at the current S4 before leasing my G37XS) is their leasing programs stink. With residuals at 44% as opposed to Infiniti at 64% the money factors are similar, and the S4 pricing was at invoice. Still, I refuse to pay $250 more per month (I lease for business reasons) for a car that comes in at a difference of about $2,000. I could have gotten the A5 for less, but that is not what I was looking for.

Cars are very personal, what one person likes and wants may be totally different from anyone else. If you look on the road most people do not care about their cars, they are appliances (like a toaster) to them. We are enthusiasts, we care about what we drive and the like dynamics, we are more passionate about our cars than most people. Our cars are cleaner, and nicer than 90% of the cars on the road so lets celebrate the differing opinions and stop the name calling.

MSCA, good luck with your purchase, I look forward to seeing pictures either here or on Audiworld.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Breitling65

Originally Posted by chairman25
I have been reading all of the negative comments and back and forth, it makes for an unfriendly environment. If he is happy with the car, it is his money and he should spend it any way he wants.
I would assume if someone is happy with his new car which is different to current forum they are not going to post about here. It is provocative in my opinion, otherwise wait for negative comments.
In my opinion this car is worse than G since it is big with tiny engine from Golf. And I own several cars in this market segment as well.

My opinion is that it is a better made car than the G (I have owned several Audis and Infinitis) has much more trunk room

Great argument for sports luxury car, more trunk space could be used for shopping and transporting bricks and potatoes? Is this why most people own SUV's or pickups as second or third car?
Old 04-17-2011, 03:06 PM
aexis

Some of the negative comments I've seen are about spending equal or more money for the A5 that has less HP. HP isn't everything, some people value interior/exterior aesthetic (subjective), comfort, different performance bands (low end torque vs pure HP), clutch engagement differences etc. Anyway, if the price to HP ratio is really the driving factor for so many people all of us should have just gotten the 2012 Mustang that makes 400hp+ for 30k instead of the 330hp G for 40k+! Ya it is not a sport luxury car and the numbers might be slightly off but you get the idea. The A5 is a great car and I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by aexis; 04-17-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 PM
koa789

Originally Posted by Breitling65
I would assume if someone is happy with his new car which is different to current forum they are not going to post about here. It is provocative in my opinion, otherwise wait for negative comments.
In my opinion this car is worse than G since it is big with tiny engine from Golf. And I own several cars in this market segment as well.
The guy has been a member here since 2005 and has been a long time Infiniti owner. I think that not only as Infiniti enthusiasts, but also as car guys in general, we would be open to the idea of someone from our community getting a new car and wanting to share it with the rest of us. It's not like he came in here and said "A5 is so much better than the piece of **** Infinitis you all drive, I can't believe I ever owned one!" There is absolutely no need for negative comments at all. And on what level is the A5 worse than the G? In pure HP? (yes) In smoothness of the engine? (no)In terms of cargo capacity and passenger space?(no) Looks? (subjective) AWD performance? (Quatro>ATESSA in the G) Fuel efficiency? (no) Everyone has their own criteria of what is good and what is bad in the car. I for one hate how coarse and rough the VQ is. I wish it was half as smooth as the EA888 and I wish it made the torque the EA888 makes at 2000rpm. I would be a lot better driving experience in traffic. A vast majority of the people don't spend their time driving their G37 between 5200 and 7800rpm.

Great argument for sports luxury car, more trunk space could be used for shopping and transporting bricks and potatoes? Is this why most people own SUV's or pickups as second or third car?
Most people don't have a second or third car. Most people have one car, and their spouse would have another. I would prefer to have a luxury car that is an all in one, because frankly, I do not enjoy driving trucks or SUVs unless I have to tow my boat. It's nice to be able to fit more than 1 suitcase in the trunk and go on a nice long, comfortable, and fuel efficient road trip.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Vasher

Beautiful car. Only reason I didn't go with an S5 (the second time around) was that I'm so comfortable with Infiniti's interface. Well, that... and the S5 doesn't have the turbo 6 yet. Honestly, past few weeks I've been tempted to run over to the Audi dealer, but patience is a vertue.

For me, it'll be a toss-up between the next gen G (if it's tt'd, sc'd, or has a v8), or the next gen S5.

Congrats on finding a buyer, made the decision easy. Hope He's still around in a few months.

BTW: Fk all the nay-sayers.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:13 PM
koa789

Originally Posted by Vasher
Only reason I didn't go with an S5 (the second time around) was that I'm so comfortable with Infiniti's interface. Well, that... and the S5 doesn't have the supercharged 6 yet.
Fixed :-)
Old 04-18-2011, 04:12 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1NEETO
I'm sure you probably owned one I'm not doubting that. What I doubt is that you ran 12's with it back in the early 90's.
Listen, we're already crapping up my Audi A5 thread with this nonsense. You can believe whatever you want...it doesn't mean a thing to me. If you want to start another thread about Diamond Stars, I'll join in the discussion. I'll even post pics and my timeslips if that will make you happy. For now, lets stay on topic in this thread.

Oh, and just to reply to your quote above, I said from the beginning that I got into the 12's AFTER changing the turbo. Intake/exhaust/boost controller only got me into the low 13's. Okay, I'm done with this part of the discussion.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:14 PM
MSCA
Banned

Good luck on the Audi, the A5 is a great looking car. I have driven the S5 and it is stupid fast and pushes all of the right buttons for me. But that car comes in around 60k
You will love the A5's fit and finish, tight handling, and the aroma of the leather interior. The only thing that I do not like is the sun roof does not retract it only tilts.

I am sure you will enjoy it. Go over to AudiWorld and get familiar with the car, many of those guys have modded them successfully.

Good Luck
Yup, I've been reading several of the Audi forums for a while now. The sunroof only tilting doesn't really bother me, as I hardly EVER open the sunroof on my car or my SUV anyway...
Old 04-18-2011, 04:17 PM
MSCA
Banned

...Cars are very personal, what one person likes and wants may be totally different from anyone else. If you look on the road most people do not care about their cars, they are appliances (like a toaster) to them. We are enthusiasts, we care about what we drive and the like dynamics, we are more passionate about our cars than most people. Our cars are cleaner, and nicer than 90% of the cars on the road so lets celebrate the differing opinions and stop the name calling.
Exactly. I would hope that as enthusiasts, we would all share a passion for cars in general. I'm not loyal to any single brand and I can appreciate all kinds of different cars. I just happen to have a thing for sporty cars like most of the rest of the people on this forum.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:21 PM
MSCA
Banned

My intention wasn't to start a flame war. I just decided to start a thread to say that I'm moving on from my G to an A5. All comments are welcome, even the so-called "negative" ones. At the end of the day, it's my money and my choice. I'm certainly not going to drop a bunch of cash on a car that I don't think is worth it. To me, I think it was a good decision. To others, it might not be such a good decision. But hey, we all have our own thoughts and that's what makes the world go around, right?

Quick Reply: Time to say goodbye to my G37 coupe