Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Baby on the way, should I sell my G?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:39 PM
FireSquirrel540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baby on the way, should I sell my G?

To make a long story short I bought my G this past Christmas. 1 Week later I found out my GF is pregnant. We are going to move in together in late June which will increase my commute to work by quite a bit. Now I am wondering if having a G would be feasable in my situation. Before the G I had a cheap Nissan Sentra which saved me quite a bit of money on gas. There wasnt too much of a difference in monthly payments since getting the G the only thing that really went up was my insurance and gas money. Anyways, I talked about it with my father and he said I would actually lose more money downgrading to another car and to just keep the G being that's it's fairly new it will last me a while. Alos, I put a few aftermarket thing on the G since hacving it (rims, headlights, tailights) and I'm wondering if all of these things would help or hurt me when looking for a good trade in value. This is all very frustrating and I'm just looking for some honest advice.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Z gave way to G

If you're going to sell, definitely sell your a/m items and go back stock. List them on this forum and it should be a pretty simple task. Your kid will be your first and foremost priority, but if you can afford your G and still give your soon-to-be child the life they deserve, then keep it. You'll regret and miss it otherwise. I have a little boy who turns 2 in 2 weeks and I have a coupe, so it's definitely possible. Plus a G37 coupe is a really nice "daddy mobile!"
Old 04-09-2011, 11:58 PM
hoofhearted

Keep the G for now and see how your finances go. You will definitely lose money in the trade. You'll find buyers for your aftermarket parts on this forum for sure.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:11 AM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
you should be saving money if you and your GF are moving in.....keep the G for now
Old 04-10-2011, 12:45 AM
koa789

Here is a formula you should follow:

1. Can I afford the G? Yes or No. If yes, continue to #3. If no, go to #4.
2. Can I afford the G with the kid? Yes or No. If yes, go right to #3. If No, see #4.
3. Get a DILF shirt.
4. Sell G and get a car cheap enough to offset the loss on new car. Can I afford kid now? Yes or No. If Yes, see #3. If no, get a second job.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:57 AM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by koa789
Here is a formula you should follow:

1. Can I afford the G? Yes or No. If yes, continue to #3. If no, go to #4.
2. Can I afford the G with the kid? Yes or No. If yes, go right to #3. If No, see #4.
3. Get a DILF shirt.
4. Sell G and get a car cheap enough to offset the loss on new car. Can I afford kid now? Yes or No. If Yes, see #3. If no, get a second job.
shiet man thats confusing as fack
Old 04-10-2011, 01:29 AM
worldcrafter

did you the pay car off already? if so, keep the car. find another used car that gets better gas mileage, is reliable, and is cheap on insurance (stick to the nissan family, look for an sr20-powered fwd car like an earlier sentra se/se-r). carry only liability on the g37 and designate it as a weekend car.

if it's not paid off yet, just keep driving it as usual. just reallocate your budget somehow--stick to the dollar menu at mcdonalds. drink less beer, you know, that sorta thing.

tldr: keep the car.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:35 AM
LizardBreath

Originally Posted by worldcrafter
did you the pay car off already? if so, keep the car. find another used car that gets better gas mileage, is reliable, and is cheap on insurance (stick to the nissan family, look for an sr20-powered fwd car like an earlier sentra se/se-r). carry only liability on the g37 and designate it as a weekend car.

if it's not paid off yet, just keep driving it as usual. just reallocate your budget somehow--stick to the dollar menu at mcdonalds. drink less beer, you know, that sorta thing.

tldr: keep the car.
keep just liabilty on a 28k plus car?? r u being serious?
Old 04-10-2011, 01:40 AM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
MY advice? Listen to your father.

My son is 22 and when he was 18 I told him to stay at home for FREE and go to school for FREE and he chose to move out.

Now he's back home, paying for school... when he would have been done if he'd listened to me.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:58 AM
worldcrafter

Originally Posted by LizardBreath
keep just liabilty on a 28k plus car?? r u being serious?
i didn't seem to get the point across that the g37 would effectively become a garage queen. not paying full coverage while having the car just sit would save the OP hundreds.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:54 AM
gooddeal

Father knows best. You don't downgrade the car to save gas/money unless you do it in the extreme way. If you can afford the payment, keep it. You only trade down if you cannot afford the payment and you're willing to get a beat up car for a couple grands.

I don't know what kind of deal did you get when you bought your car but the depreciation can be 4-6K + sale tax, fee and registration (It's about 3.5K in Philly on a 40K car). You don't get the sale tax back when you sell the car. You can use the sale tax as a credit toward the next car in most states but it won't help you much since you're looking to replace with a very cheap car.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Vasher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It isn't just a matter of "being able to afford the G" and scraping by. You need to look at the big picture.

You need to purchase a home.
You need to have money for your kid's needs.
Wedding (?)
Aside from the "commuter", your girl will need a "mommy mobile". One package of diapers and the G's trunk is full. Trips to Costco/Walmart require more cargo space.
In two years you will be faced with the question "public or private". Since public schools are a joke, I highly recommend you start looking at private schools now and consider that expense while evaluating finances.
Getting the child out of the back of a coupe will be hard on your back, seriously.

If your current finances can cover the above, then all you have to worry about is trunk space and your back ( ). If not, sell the G (aftermarket items separate) and pick up something less expensive, far more practical, and better on gas. I think a 4 door hatch would best fit the bill.

In my opinion, now is not the time to lengthen your commute. Gas is on the rise and your girl (and soon the baby) are going to require more of your time. Find a way to save that time for your family and don't waste it on the road. Maybe she could move in with you?

Just my 2...
Old 04-10-2011, 05:54 PM
s2ktoEvo

I was going to make a wise *** comment but I changed my mind. I've had too many friends in the same boat. Had to do with condoms being cheaper than kids...

Anyway, if you bought the car new your father is right. You are going to take a pretty big loss trading in a new car you just bought. If you bought it used at a good price you may break even or take a small loss. You'll do better with a private sale than a trade in, so keep that in mind. If you paid 28k for example, you might get 23k, 24k max as the dealership is going to want to make money. Private sale you can get a lot closer to amount owed.

The problem with a private sale though is if you owe 28k but sale for 26k, you have to pay the bank the difference right then and there out of pocket before they'll transfer the title.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:01 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Vasher
In two years you will be faced with the question "public or private". Since public schools are a joke, I highly recommend you start looking at private schools now and consider that expense while evaluating finances.
I'm sorry for the off topic, but I would like to point out that not all public schools are a joke, it all depends on your area. There are a lot of area with great public schools. In fact, a lot of my friends move to to certain neighborhoods just to send their kids to public school.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:01 PM
mike904

Originally Posted by worldcrafter
i didn't seem to get the point across that the g37 would effectively become a garage queen. not paying full coverage while having the car just sit would save the OP hundreds.
Just liability? So if his car gets totaled by a hit and run when he is out on a Saturday cruise, who will pay for it?

A good rule of thumb about whether to have just liability on a car is when the annual insurance costs more than 10% of the value of the vehicle, its time to drop the comprehensive and collision (or get a new car).

Quick Reply: Baby on the way, should I sell my G?