Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What Is Your Break-In Method?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What Is Your Break-In Method?

i did this on every single sportbike & car i have owned.
1. SIGN THE PAPERWORK & SHAKE THE DEALERS HAND.
2. WARM THE CAR UP.
3. GENTLY PULL OUT OF THE DEALERSHIP
4. REACH THE FIRST TRAFFIC LIGHT OUT OF THE DEALERSHIP'S SIGHT
5. (green light)RIP THE **** OUT OF HER TILL I GET HOME!

The biggest factor is that engine manufacturers now use a much finer honing pattern in the cylinders than they once did. This in turn changes the break-in requirements. The window of opportunity for achieving an exceptional ring seal is much smaller with newer engines than it was with the older "rough honed" engines.
These same break in techniques apply to both steel cylinders and Nikasil, as well as the ceramic composite cylinders that Yamaha uses in it's motorcycles.
Nowadays, the piston ring seal is really what the break in process is all about. Contrary to popular belief, piston rings don't seal the combustion pressure by spring tension. Ring tension is necessary only to "scrape" the oil to prevent it from entering the combustion chamber.
If you think about it, the ring exerts maybe 5-10 lbs of spring tension against the cylinder wall ... How can such a small amount of spring tension seal against thousands of PSI of combustion pressure ?? Of course it can't.
How Do Rings Seal Against Tremendous Combustion Pressure ?? From the actual gas pressure itself !! It passes over the top of the ring, and gets behind it to force it outward against the cylinder wall. The problem is that new rings are far from perfect and they must be worn in quite a bit in order to completely seal all the way around the bore. If the gas pressure is strong enough during the engine's first miles of operation (open that throttle!!!) then the entire ring will wear into
the cylinder surface, to seal the combustion pressure as well as possible.

Change Your Oil Right Away !!
The best thing you can do for your engine is to change your oil and filter after the first 20 miles. Most of the wearing in process happens immediately, creating a lot of metal in the oil. Plus, the amount of leftover machining chips and other crud left behind in the manufacturing process is simply amazing !! You want to flush that stuff out before it gets recycled and embedded in the transmission gears, and oil pump etc...

Personally i want those piston rings to get their seat in correctly, i want those valves to
seat in right, and i want the piston to start honing its home at top deadcenter at a higher RPM from day one- so when in a few thousand miles i decide to gun it later, it wont chip off the unused parts of the upper most portion of the cylinder sleeve.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Last edited by ImStricken; 03-29-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:47 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Please quote your source next time:

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by G37Sam
MY BAD, I GOT SIDE TRACKED TRYING TO FIND A GOOD ANIMATION lol
Old 03-29-2011, 09:02 AM
theaudir8fan

interesting, but i must ask, if this is the case, why do manufactures still says in the owner's manual to drive the car slowly for the first 1000-2000 miles?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:07 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by theaudir8fan
interesting, but i must ask, if this is the case, why do manufactures still says in the owner's manual to drive the car slowly for the first 1000-2000 miles?
IN SHORT, they dont want the legal responsibility in the rare case of someone saying "WELL YOU TOLD ME TO RUN IT HARD! SO I DID- NOW A PISTON ROD IS LOOKING AT ME THROUGH THE BLOCK."

listen your supposed to run it hard. but hard under extreme supervision. (a mechanics trained eyes & ears & nose.)
a mechanic can tell by a tiny sound- something is off. or he can tell by a smell, which fluid is burning, or if that smell is the normal rtv silicone burning off.

give a new car to the average moron & tell him to "run it hard", and he's gonna have it towed back in 30mins.
or the average stick shift driver who doesnt understand the difference between SMOOTH, FAST, RPM MATCHING, SHIFTING and HARD, GEAR GRINDING, GRANNY-SHIFTING.

Last edited by ImStricken; 03-29-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:20 AM
theaudir8fan

^ that's true, but the other thing to note is that most of our cars have somewhere around the range of 50miles put on the car when it is delivered to us. so wouldn't that mean the first "20miles" which is the main time to bore the engine have past already?
also what happens after you drive the car hard for the first time? are you suppose to keep driving it hard all the time or just normally?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:31 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

^ that's true, but the other thing to note is that most of our cars have somewhere around the range of 50miles put on the car when it is delivered to us. so wouldn't that mean the first "20miles" which is the main time to bore the engine have past already?
also what happens after you drive the car hard for the first time? are you suppose to keep driving it hard all the time or just normally?
the car once delivered to you, wont have 50 miles. it will have 5-10miles at most. unless you buy a "managers special" which means it was the 'test drive ****' of the lot.

here is the thing. if you drive it gently, you dont allow for the parts to expand within their seat. secondly you dont allow things to undergo proper extension under pressure. meaning, if the piston never travels past it normal low rpm 'top-dead-center' state, and the piston rod, and pin never experience the proper extension under pressure, and the piston starts its honing process, there is going to be a microscopic area of untraveled territory on the cylinder wall that will be narrower then the rest of the normally traveled cylinder wall.
if in 6000 miles you decide to really rev it up, the piston will experience some slight pressure and extend into the previously untraveled area of the cylinder and will break off, bend, or chip off the previously untraveled area, possibly causing serious engine damage.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Legz
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
lol that's what I did, was getting a little worried, was red lining her from light to light non stop 24/7 when I first got her
Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

that red area, is the area you want to allow your piston to travel into from day one. otherwise if you dont travel that area today, and do it in 5000 miles, damage could occur.
Attached Thumbnails What Is Your Break-In Method?-squishband-copy.gif  

Last edited by ImStricken; 03-29-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:01 AM
theaudir8fan

Really? your delivery mileage is that low??? my family's latest new car is a Venza and i remember when we picked it up, it had 70ish kms on it.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:12 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Really? your delivery mileage is that low??? my family's latest new car is a Venza and i remember when we picked it up, it had 70ish kms on it.
it also depends how close the gas station the dealership has a contract with.
if its 15miles one way, then yes 30miles isnt bad.

but in jersey we have a gas station on every corner.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 AM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ImStricken
i did this on every single sportbike & car i have owned.
1. SIGN THE PAPERWORK & SHAKE THE DEALERS HAND.
2. WARM THE CAR UP.
3. GENTLY PULL OUT OF THE DEALERSHIP
4. REACH THE FIRST TRAFFIC LIGHT OUT OF THE DEALERSHIP'S SIGHT
5. (green light)RIP THE **** OUT OF HER TILL I GET HOME!
And I stopped reading.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:30 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ImStricken
IN SHORT, they dont want the legal responsibility in the rare case of someone saying "WELL YOU TOLD ME TO RUN IT HARD! SO I DID- NOW A PISTON ROD IS LOOKING AT ME THROUGH THE BLOCK."
If the manufacturer don't want the legal responsibility, all they have to do is NOT to mention "break in period" at all. Why do they still choose to mention about break in period telling you to take it easy for the first 1200 miles???
Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
If the manufacturer don't want the legal responsibility, all they have to do is NOT to mention "break in period" at all. Why do they still choose to mention about break in period telling you to take it easy for the first 1200 miles???
like every knife, saw blade, etc that mentions DONT DO THIS, DONT DO THAT OR ELSE.
they gotta mention something or there reason enough to not know.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by breftayka
And I stopped reading.
that proves your mental capacity. thanks for reading tho.

Quick Reply: What Is Your Break-In Method?