Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What Is Your Break-In Method?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ImStricken
EVERY OIL BREAKS DOWN. FROM THE MOMENT IT IS USED, IT IS NOT THE SAME OIL AS IT WAS BRAND NEW.
EVERY OIL BREAKS DOWN. SOME SOONER THEN OTHERS. BUT YOUR STATEMENT THAT YOUR OIL DOESNT BREAK DOWN, IS FALSE AND COMPLETE BS.

AGAIN, YOU CAN DO OIL ANALYSIS ON AN AN OCI OF 5,000MILES, ON A 7,500-15,000mile OIL AND YES IT WILL NOT BE BROKEN DOWN COMPLETELY, BUT IT SURE WILL BE HALF WAY THERE.
And, what exactly is a 7500-15000 mile oil?

If you can find me an oil that GUARANTEES that it will be good for 7.5k or 15k miles, you have a customer. If my engine blows because the oil went bad, are they going to replace my engine for me?
Old 03-29-2011, 01:56 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I STILL STICK TO MY GUNS.
this guy might know his book stats, but at the end of the day the book smart cop gets shot & jacked, and the book smart mechanic is still looking for the influx capacitor because thats what he read in a book to check for(along with blinker fluid) lol.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:59 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mike
And, what exactly is a 7500-15000 mile oil?

If you can find me an oil that GUARANTEES that it will be good for 7.5k or 15k miles, you have a customer. If my engine blows because the oil went bad, are they going to replace my engine for me?
ok smart@ss:
care to explain BMW's oil change interval then of 15,000???

AMSOIL:

AMSOIL - 100% Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil (ASL)

AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline fueled vehicles as follows:

• Normal Service(3) – Up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
• Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
• Replace AMSOIL Ea oil filter at the time of oil change up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first (other brands at standard OEM* intervals).

MOBILE1

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance.aspx

"Improvements that add up to exceptional protection for 15,000 miles. Guaranteed."

MERCEDES BENZ:
AND ON TOP OF IT ALL: RIGHT FROM THE WEBSITE: "As of model year 2010, Mercedes-Benz vehicles follow a maintenance schedule of 10,000-mile or 12-month intervals" - THAT INCLUDES OIL YOU DIPSHT

Last edited by ImStricken; 03-29-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:01 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there is a reason why nissan insists on light weight Ester 5W3 Oil being used in our cars.
the 'Variable Valve Event & Lift' is a complex system that needs precise & exact clearance and gap to be dead on. ester 5W3 & synthetic oils provide less rolling resistance while maintaining the proper lubrication & coverage on the parts.

being a lighter weight oil, it also cools down faster, and is able to maintain its composure under extreme heat/stress conditions.
Actually they don't.

The oil requirements for the VQ37VHR are:

•Engine oil with API Certification Mark*2 *11
•Viscosity SAE 5W-30

Ester oil is recommended if you have the "VVEL tick". You can use ester oil normally but it's not a requirement.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:08 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

since i just provided you with 2 companies that are major leaders in oil, that provide 7,500 & 15,000mile service life GUARANTEED.... AND SINCE IM SPONSORED BY AMSOIL.... and since now your a customer:

would you like to place your oil order through me to save you money???

some people really need to wake the f up
Old 03-29-2011, 02:13 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

your last post was 1:56pm... its now 2:14pm

why so quiet? digging google?
Or are you searching through those chemistry books of yours to try & contradict me?
HERE IS A HINT: IN YOUR BOOKS, ITS GOING TO BE THE CHAPTER RIGHT AFTER BLINKER-FLUID
lol

again since now your a customer: would you like to order oil through me?
Old 03-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Mike

since i just provided you with 2 companies that are major leaders in oil, that provide 7,500 & 15,000mile service life GUARANTEED.... AND SINCE IM SPONSORED BY AMSOIL.... and since now your a customer:

would you like to place your oil order through me to save you money???

some people really need to wake the f up
I'll be a purchasing customer, when you provide me with empirical evidence that Amsoil can protect my engine for 15k miles under my driving conditions.

I use proven products. Amsoil is not proven to me, because I've yet to see any evidence.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:18 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you think about it, the ring exerts maybe 5-10 lbs of spring tension against the cylinder wall ... How can such a small amount of spring tension seal against thousands of PSI of combustion pressure ?? Of course it can't.
If you think about it, the pressure from combustion is exerted on three sides of the ring. It’s pretty obvious there’s a force on the top of the ring pushing down.

But you also have pressure on both SIDES of the ring. There’s pressure on the outside of the ring pushing toward the piston and pressure on the inside of the ring pushing toward the cylinder wall.

The surface area of the outside of the ring is slightly larger than the inside and would tend to compress the ring. On the other hand, the PSI on the inside of the ring would likely be greater due to the flow restriction of the groove in the piston. Either way, very little tension would be required to counteract any differences in these forces. Not to mention the downward pressure on the ring would tend to hold it in place due to friction against bottom of the cylinder groove.

Anyway, your engine will far outlast the rest of the car so as long as you don’t through a rod, I doubt the way you break it in matters.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:23 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

I'll be a purchasing customer, when you provide me with empirical evidence that Amsoil can protect my engine for 15k miles under my driving conditions.

I use proven products. Amsoil is not proven to me, because I've yet to see any evidence.
dude you got caught up in your own hype. you just got sh!tted on... give up man.
you asked for an oil that will last 15,000miles. i sent you Amsoil, Mobile1, and major companies like BMW who use 15,000mile drain intervals(i doubt that bmw would risk the engines in their own leases) and i sent you mercedes benz that recommends 10,000mile intervals. YOU REALLY SHOULD QUIT NOW.

but if you insist:
AMSOIL:

<table width="100%" border="1" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2">
TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">
AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil (ASL)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>CCS Viscosity @ -30°C, cP (ASTM D-5293)</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97)</td> <td>
-50 (-58)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)</td> <td>
226 (439)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)</td> <td>
244 (471)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Four Ball Wear Test
(ASTM D-4172B: 40 kgf, 75°C, 1200 rpm, 1 hr), Scar, mm</td> <td valign="top">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Noack Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D-5800)</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>High Temperature/High Shear Viscosity
(ASTM D 4683 @ 150°C, 1.0 X 10<sup>6</sup> s.<sup>-1</sup>), cP</td> <td valign="top">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Total Base Number</td> <td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

MOBILE1:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="header" valign="top">Mobil 1 Extended Performance</td></tr><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td class="cnhdr-blue ContentAreaPadding">Limited Warranty</td></tr><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td class="bodyText ContentAreaPadding">What The Warranty Covers
ExxonMobil Lubricants & Petroleum Specialties Company, a division of Exxon Mobil Corporation (“ExxonMobil”), provides this limited warranty to the purchasers who use Mobil 1 Extended Performance lubricant in their vehicles. This limited warranty covers the lubricant and critical engine parts lubricated by the lubricant. ExxonMobil warrants its lubricants to be free from defects and that the lubricant you purchased will protect your vehicle’s critical engine parts from oil related failure.

Be advised that if your vehicle is covered by a warranty, you should follow the vehicle’s oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner’s manual to avoid a disruption in your vehicle warranty. Follow your owner’s manual if the vehicle is operated in any of the following severe services: racing or commercial applications including taxis, limousines, etc.; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or under excessive idling conditions.

What The Warranty Does Not Cover
This Limited Warranty excludes:
  • Mobil lubricants used in mechanically deficient equipment as a result of abnormal operation; negligence; abuse; damage from casualty, shipment or accident; or equipment modification done without written authorization from the original equipment manufacturer (“OEM”).
  • Situations where the OEM required lubricant standards do not match those stated by ExxonMobil without written approval from ExxonMobil.
  • Mobil lubricants that have been used in conjunction with any other product or additive that has not been authorized for use by ExxonMobil.
  • Failure of equipment due to a pre-existing condition that is unrelated to the use of Mobil lubricants.
  • Repair or replacement of equipment due to normal wear.
What The Period Of Coverage Is
This limited warranty is valid for 15,000 miles or one (1) year from the date of purchase or installation, whichever is earlier, regardless of the vehicle's mileage.

What We Will Do To Correct Problems
ExxonMobil will replace any lubricant that is defective. In addition, if there is equipment failure due to the lubricant you purchased, and the engine was serviceable at the time the oil was installed, ExxonMobil will repair any equipment damage directly caused by a defect or malfunction of the lubricant, at no cost to you, provided that the lubricant was selected and maintained in accordance with specifications of the OEM or the written instructions (which includes product packaging) of ExxonMobil.

How You Can Get Service
To file a claim under this Limited Warranty, you must:
  1. Upon discovery of the damage (but not later than six (6) months from the date the damage occurred), call 1-800-AskMobil (275-6624).
  2. Allow an ExxonMobil representative to examine the equipment and maintenance records, if available, and provide proof of purchase to determine the extent of the damage and to confirm that the lubricant was the cause.
  3. Allow an ExxonMobil representative to obtain an oil sample from the engine for oil analysis at no cost to you to assist in determining the cause of the equipment failure.
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Old 03-29-2011, 02:29 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

WHATS THE MATTER MIKE?? CHANGING YOUR DIAPER?
OR STILL TRYING TO FIND THAT CHAPTER IN YOUR BOOKS? lol
(i told you, its after the blinker fluid LOLOLOLOLOLOL)
Old 03-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Mike

friggin scrubs.

I asked for empirical evidence, not marketing crap straight off of their website. I can google too.

Originally Posted by wikipedia
The word empirical denotes information gained by means of observation or experiments.[1] Empirical data is data produced by an experiment or observation.
A central concept in modern science and the scientific method is that all evidence must be empirical, or empirically based, that is, dependent on evidence or consequences that are observable by the senses. It is usually differentiated from the philosophic usage of empiricism by the use of the adjective empirical or the adverb empirically. The term refers to the use of working hypotheses that are testable using observation or experiment. In this sense of the word, scientific statements are subject to and derived from our experiences or observations.
Provide me with empirical evidence.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:37 PM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

friggin scrubs.Provide me with empirical evidence.
now your arguing semantics.
no multi billion dollar company is going to market and sell an item that could potentially kill millions of engines.

(lets just take Amsoil out of the question, since you hate them so much)
dont forget, not only does Mobile1 sell its product without fear of false claims, or "false advertising" lawsuits, but its contracted with BMW to install that oil from the factory into its vehicles.

to be honest with you, MIKE. you realize you got **** one right? if not- everyone else here will realize it when they see your posts stating: "If you can find me an oil that GUARANTEES that it will be good for 7.5k or 15k miles, you have a customer." - and visit the Mobile1 website and the bmw website, and Amsoil websites, AND MAYBE EVEN A DEALERSHIP!!- and quickly realize MIKE GOT **** ON.

thanks for chatting MIKE- WHO KNOWS VERY LITTLE ABOUT OIL, im done with you.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:46 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Edit. Lots of love.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Mike

You've yet to provide a single shred of evidence that the said oils can protect my engine for 15k miles.
What The Warranty Does Not Cover
This Limited Warranty excludes:
Mobil lubricants used in mechanically deficient equipment as a result of abnormal operation; negligence; abuse; damage from casualty, shipment or accident; or equipment modification done without written authorization from the original equipment manufacturer (“OEM”).
Situations where the OEM required lubricant standards do not match those stated by ExxonMobil without written approval from ExxonMobil.
Mobil lubricants that have been used in conjunction with any other product or additive that has not been authorized for use by ExxonMobil.
Failure of equipment due to a pre-existing condition that is unrelated to the use of Mobil lubricants.
Repair or replacement of equipment due to normal wear.
My equipment isn't OEM. That guarantee/warranty means nothing to me.

You said they will guarantee 15k miles. I just showed you otherwise.

Again, provide me with evidence.

Or, better yet, put your money where your mouth is. You provide me with empirical evidence that it will protect my engine for 15k.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:51 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hahah, MOAR MOAR. ImStricken for president, please show Mike that he's a noob in life.

Um yeaa, I don't think "everyone else will realize" anything except you're taking your argument down to a level that Mike doesn't care to step down to.

FYI, Mike is not a Amsoil hater, and "empirical" is not semantics. Also, a lot of people on the forum prefer and do the research for themselves instead of believing the big companies' claims at face value.

For example, would you believe the +20hp gain of dyno chart posted by an aftermarket company on their new exhaust or would you rather see an independent dyno run done by another member on the forum?

Do you categorize that difference in data to to be semantics? Or is one just more believable since it's not marketing materials. You have to realize that companies have an interest in selling their product, so whatever they put out will HAVE to be awesome.

Last edited by ucla bruin; 03-29-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: What Is Your Break-In Method?