Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New 2011 G37 Coupe - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Duster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2011 G37 Coupe - First Impressions

Hey everyone. I've had the G for about a week now, so I thought I'd post my first impressions in case they'll help someone who's trying to decide on the car.

First off, when I was shopping for this car I was trying to decide between it and the BMW 335i. On paper, and in reviews, they seem similar, and seem to appeal to the same market. The reasons I went with the G are as follows:

- cheaper
- more reliable
- conveniently located dealer
- my wife thinks it looks better
- doesn't have the negative image associations of the BMW
- the G was more fun to drive in a test drive

After driving the car even for a couple of days, my first thought was, I don't think the BMW is really the car to compare with. In actual driving, they are very, very different.

I found the BMW quite stiff, particularly at low speeds. It has a heavy feel to it (even thought it's lighter). Also, the design of the car, from the tires to the shifter, isolate the driver much better. There is less noise, less vibration, and I'd even say less feedback. The BMW is a luxury car with a refined driving experience. Also, because of the superior torque, you don't rev the BMW quite as much to get up to speed. I found myself driving very fast, very easily, even though I felt I was going much slower. This is both good and bad.

The G feels much lighter. Partly it's the steering, which has more assist, but also it's the revviness of the motor. You have to work it a bit harder to get the acceleration and get to speed. And when you're going fast in the G, you know it. It feels much more like a sports car than the BMW. And the BMW feels much more like a luxury car.

I actually think they appeal to very different drivers, and that comparisons of the two cars don't really make that much sense.

Now, regardless of comparisons, here's what I think of the G.

The good:

This car is a joy to drive. It feels light and revvy, the brakes are great, and the acceleration is strong. It's fun to drive at 60kph, 80kph, and 120kph. You don't have to be going super fast to be having a good time - it's fun everywhere. But when you do get it up to 140-150kph, it really does feel fantastic. The suspension is tight and firm, and they seem to have found the line between sporty and too-hard. The sound of the exhaust is great. The nav & audio package is great. Buttons and controls are well laid out and easy to use. Despite complaints about cramped interior space, for one or two people, it's more than fine, and the trunk is actually more usable than it looks. The cockpit is comfortable. And I should mention, in black, it is a very hot and sporty looking car. The BMW looks richer, probably, but the Infiniti looks younger and hotter.

The bad:

Most of the bad stuff consists of a bunch of niggles. Nothing big enough to really counter the enjoyable driving experience, and it's the kind of stuff that a lot of cars will have. There isn't much storage space for small stuff in the cabin. The seat is adjustable, but at 6' tall, I think I'm at the maximum height for what would be considered comfortable. I don't know if it's the tires or the firm suspension, but the car does seem to follow some road imperfections, so it takes a bit of effort to keep it in a straight line. There's kind of a dead spot in the steering when it's straight, and this compounds the problem. This might just take some getting used to. The gear box is a little notchy. Sometimes it has a hard time finding fourth, sometimes second. Sometimes both are easy. Again, this could smooth out over time as well.

All that being said, I find the driving experience better than the BMW. The BMW has a smoother shift, but it also feels a little "rubber-band"-y. And the power is turbine-smooth, but it takes away some of the fun and excitement.

Again, I don't think the cars are that much of a direct comparison, and I think people will easily find themselves on one side or the other once they've given them a try.

Hope this helps any potential buyers.

--- D
Old 03-24-2011, 04:19 PM
11_xS_coupe

Originally Posted by Duster
Hey everyone. I've had the G for about a week now, so I thought I'd post my first impressions in case they'll help someone who's trying to decide on the car.

First off, when I was shopping for this car I was trying to decide between it and the BMW 335i. On paper, and in reviews, they seem similar, and seem to appeal to the same market. The reasons I went with the G are as follows:

- cheaper
- more reliable
- conveniently located dealer
- my wife thinks it looks better
- doesn't have the negative image associations of the BMW
- the G was more fun to drive in a test drive

After driving the car even for a couple of days, my first thought was, I don't think the BMW is really the car to compare with. In actual driving, they are very, very different.

I found the BMW quite stiff, particularly at low speeds. It has a heavy feel to it (even thought it's lighter). Also, the design of the car, from the tires to the shifter, isolate the driver much better. There is less noise, less vibration, and I'd even say less feedback. The BMW is a luxury car with a refined driving experience. Also, because of the superior torque, you don't rev the BMW quite as much to get up to speed. I found myself driving very fast, very easily, even though I felt I was going much slower. This is both good and bad.

The G feels much lighter. Partly it's the steering, which has more assist, but also it's the revviness of the motor. You have to work it a bit harder to get the acceleration and get to speed. And when you're going fast in the G, you know it. It feels much more like a sports car than the BMW. And the BMW feels much more like a luxury car.

I actually think they appeal to very different drivers, and that comparisons of the two cars don't really make that much sense.

Now, regardless of comparisons, here's what I think of the G.

The good:

This car is a joy to drive. It feels light and revvy, the brakes are great, and the acceleration is strong. It's fun to drive at 60kph, 80kph, and 120kph. You don't have to be going super fast to be having a good time - it's fun everywhere. But when you do get it up to 140-150kph, it really does feel fantastic. The suspension is tight and firm, and they seem to have found the line between sporty and too-hard. The sound of the exhaust is great. The nav & audio package is great. Buttons and controls are well laid out and easy to use. Despite complaints about cramped interior space, for one or two people, it's more than fine, and the trunk is actually more usable than it looks. The cockpit is comfortable. And I should mention, in black, it is a very hot and sporty looking car. The BMW looks richer, probably, but the Infiniti looks younger and hotter.

The bad:

Most of the bad stuff consists of a bunch of niggles. Nothing big enough to really counter the enjoyable driving experience, and it's the kind of stuff that a lot of cars will have. There isn't much storage space for small stuff in the cabin. The seat is adjustable, but at 6' tall, I think I'm at the maximum height for what would be considered comfortable. I don't know if it's the tires or the firm suspension, but the car does seem to follow some road imperfections, so it takes a bit of effort to keep it in a straight line. There's kind of a dead spot in the steering when it's straight, and this compounds the problem. This might just take some getting used to. The gear box is a little notchy. Sometimes it has a hard time finding fourth, sometimes second. Sometimes both are easy. Again, this could smooth out over time as well.

All that being said, I find the driving experience better than the BMW. The BMW has a smoother shift, but it also feels a little "rubber-band"-y. And the power is turbine-smooth, but it takes away some of the fun and excitement.

Again, I don't think the cars are that much of a direct comparison, and I think people will easily find themselves on one side or the other once they've given them a try.

Hope this helps any potential buyers.

--- D
You do know your not supposed to go above around 4 thous RPM's for the first 1 thousand miles right? ahaha
Old 03-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Duster

Originally Posted by 11_xS_coupe
You do know your not supposed to go above around 4 thous RPM's for the first 1 thousand miles right? ahaha
Even just taking it to 4k gives plenty of rev. I may have gone over a couple of times. I'm also not much of a "break-in period" guy. I think you have to be nice to the engine, but I don't think you have to baby it so much.

I have a theory about break-in recommendations. I can think of 2 reasons they tell you to keep the revs down. First, is to lessen the likelihood of people getting into accidents in the first few weeks behind the wheel of a new car. By encouraging you to keep the revs down, they encourage you to get more familiar with the car and its handling before opening it up.

Second, if they've made an error somewhere on the car, and haven't tightened something properly, or you have a faulty part somewhere, you'll likely find out in the first 1,000 miles. During that time, they'd like you to keep the revs down so you don't do too much damage if something is loose/broken/failing.

I interpret their recommendation as "take it easy" the first 1,000 miles, learn how to drive the car, and make sure everything works right. More of a "shakedown" than a "break-in".

--- D
Old 03-24-2011, 04:47 PM
OHyeaCooL

Never thought about it like that, very good response sir.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:01 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
Break in period is overrated. I do believe it takes a little time until the brakes, clutch and tires are optimal, but I don't buy not revving past 4K.

Some actually advise on running the car hard to redline right away as it may yield more power and be healthier for the engine in the long run. Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

theses threads are in every car forums as is the link above..

There is also some speculation, that break-in periods still exist to allow the new owner to get accustomed to the car which protects the car company legally.

i drove my car hard soon as i got it!!

Originally Posted by 11_xS_coupe
Old 03-24-2011, 06:56 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckie311
Break in period is overrated. I do believe it takes a little time until the brakes, clutch and tires are optimal, but I don't buy not revving past 4K.

Some actually advise on running the car hard to redline right away as it may yield more power and be healthier for the engine in the long run. Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

theses threads are in every car forums as is the link above..

There is also some speculation, that break-in periods still exist to allow the new owner to get accustomed to the car which protects the car company legally.

i drove my car hard soon as i got it!!
This. I have never owned a brand new car but I did rebuilt a few engines and broke them in doing dyno pulls. You have to rev it like you mean to drive it if you want those rings to sit properly. most car companies dyno test their engines before installing them. And I've seen how new cars get unloaded from the barges they come in. Trust me, those guys don't baby them off the boat!

Buy the car and enjoy it from day one. Your car will be fine.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 PM
benseen

I have both coupes in automatic. The 335i has power in all gears and all speeds. The G when cruising in 5th gear has no power. I find the G has a more comfortable ride and more luxurious feel because of the assisted steering.

The 335i definitely has a more sporty feel and handling, better brakes, more precise steering when doing quick lane changes.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:34 PM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I too, drove the beamer and found it un-comfortable ,seats and ride . Not to mention WAY OVER PRICED for what you get..... My break in period was varied not full out, but not babied either...
Old 03-25-2011, 11:04 AM
11_xS_coupe

yea i completely agree, i just take it easy 95% of the time up untill 1000 miles, but i have redlined my G every time i have driven it and i only have 360 miles, so yes i completely agree. Was just making a point that you probobly dont even really have the engine fully broken in yet, ie full power from it.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:12 AM
audtatious

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Duster
I don't know if it's the tires or the firm suspension, but the car does seem to follow some road imperfections, so it takes a bit of effort to keep it in a straight line.
Take the car to an alignment shop and have them check the toe.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 PM
bitNine

I always start an engine break in slowly, but push it hard within a few drives. It's all about the warming/cooling cycles. Run it a little harder each time, and keep the revs varied. Use strong compression in both directions (accel and decel) to let the piston rings get a good seal.

Manual says to not rev past 4k for the first 1200 miles! I had my car redlined by about 200 miles, but it was a slow progression to that point.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:03 PM
siggo

I agree with 11_xS_Coupe..... I just got my 2011 G37 two weeks ago.... ditto to everything, I've had a couple friends tell me since they rode with me, they switched from wanting to buy a BMW to the G37 coupe...
When I was going shopping for a new car I couldnt see myself riding in nothing else but this car. been loving every minute of it.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:15 PM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by benseen
I have both coupes in automatic. The 335i has power in all gears and all speeds. The G when cruising in 5th gear has no power. I find the G has a more comfortable ride and more luxurious feel because of the assisted steering.

The 335i definitely has a more sporty feel and handling, better brakes, more precise steering when doing quick lane changes.
This is definitely true. I get jealous of my gf's 335 because it is definitely more sporty. Stiffer suspension, less body roll, steering is phenomenal, and no leather seat issues. Not to mention the power is awesome for daily driving. I would have bought the 335 if the price was comparable to what I got my coupe for.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:18 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
it's ok, I found out a friend snagged up a 3yr old m6 for 47k.
that car new is in the 100k catagory.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:49 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Great first impressions! I totally agree with all of 'em.

My younger brother just placed his order for a 2011 sport. Due to arrive late June or early July. Granted, Japan stays stable.

Quick Reply: New 2011 G37 Coupe - First Impressions