Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New 2011 G37 Coupe - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:40 AM
Duster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ImStricken
you can add: "(and did i mention last a long time without fussy electrical issues? Ahem, that means you Mercedes/Audi/BMW!)"
I'd like a nickel for every Audi I see driving around with one headlight, foglight, or tail-light not working. Or you can play the old "punch-buggy" game every time you see one.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Duster
I'd like a nickel for every Audi I see driving around with one headlight, foglight, or tail-light not working. Or you can play the old "punch-buggy" game every time you see one.
thats the least of their concerns.
those pretty red dashboard LED's are constantly going out.

those cars have more electrical issues then Edison's first lightbulb.

my old army recruiter got an audi, and i warned her: DONT DO IT.
within months she would put her turn signal on, her sunroof would open. she would open her driver window- the trunk would open. she would push the horn.. the wipers would turn on. that car was plagued with issues JUST LIKE ALL GERMAN CARS.

my gf's 2005 dodge(mercedes) ram daytona (guys dont ask-this was prior to knowing me lol) she had more dash issues, then god knows what. she had an ipod interface installed and her wipers would turn on intermittently lol. i ran a carfax on her car- the girl was at the dealer every 3 weeks for electrical issues LOL... THANK GOD SHE'S NOW PUSHING A 2010 G37S
Old 03-29-2011, 02:35 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many of those issues are really non-issues. Not all of them, but many of them. For example, a lot of people don't know that many German cars have rear foglights that illuminate one of the brake/tail lights (or a portion of it) brighter than they are normally. When people see that, they tend to think that there's an electrical problem with the tail/brake lights. Another example--the A5 has the LED daytime running lights and when you hit the turn signal, the LEDs on the corresponding side go out. Again, many people don't know this and assume that there's a problem with the car. So some of these issues really aren't issues at all.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:36 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
.... plagued with issues JUST LIKE ALL GERMAN CARS.

All German cars? LOL, that's pretty absolute, no? Not all German cars are plagued with issues. I never had a single issue with my M3 for the entire time I owned it. And it's a German car.... LOL
Old 03-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Duster

Originally Posted by MSCA
Many of those issues are really non-issues. Not all of them, but many of them. For example, a lot of people don't know that many German cars have rear foglights that illuminate one of the brake/tail lights (or a portion of it) brighter than they are normally. When people see that, they tend to think that there's an electrical problem with the tail/brake lights. Another example--the A5 has the LED daytime running lights and when you hit the turn signal, the LEDs on the corresponding side go out. Again, many people don't know this and assume that there's a problem with the car. So some of these issues really aren't issues at all.
Yeah, but I'm not one of those people.

I didn't say I was talking about rear fog lights or turn signals. I'm talking about cars driving around with only one headlight or foglight working, or a taillight that doesn't work. Most people know what that looks like.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:55 PM
prankiRL

Im redlining and I bought it yesterday =o
Old 03-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Art Vandaley

saw the new IPL at the dealer yesterday, and the new bodystyle does look nicer in person!!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:33 PM
smashhell

Originally Posted by aexis
Funny I actually like the new 335is more than the M3. The M3 sort of seems like overkill for a daily driver. Everyone who wants a 450+ hp G56 or something for $65,000 how often will you use that power unless your at a track, and how much more is the insurance premium+maintenance costs? I read the GTR maintenance recommends replacing brakes / maintaining parts at 10,000 miles at a cost of $8,000! Dunno if that's really necessary though, anyone have GTR maintenance reports?

Anyway the S5 with phantom package is a beautiful car as is the 335is..

Leaning towards the F30 2012/13 BMW update same time Infiniti should release the next gen G too so we will see!
Can't say about how much parts cost yet.

But maintenance for GTR is about $200 buck every 3000 miles.

The insurance though is expensive as HELL for the GTR. Almost gave me a heart attack when the insurance told me GTR are THE(not one of) most expensive car to insure on market right now. Cost around $4000 per year just for insurance alone.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:19 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
has anyone actually managed to get smoother shifts out of the gearbox with time? mine's gotten...worse! but it's apparently "natural"

GOOD CHOICE by the way! Bimmer's are overrated, albeit fast with a tune and some bolt ons. Oh well, our internals are stronger than meager I6's
Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smashhell
The insurance though is expensive as HELL for the GTR. Almost gave me a heart attack when the insurance told me GTR are THE(not one of) most expensive car to insure on market right now. Cost around $4000 per year just for insurance alone.
$4000 per year to insurance a GTR is not bad. I expected more. I once paid over $3,200 to insure my Maxima and I had perfect driving record. If you account for inflation, it is well over $4000 per year!

Last edited by HappyG; 04-04-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:15 AM
xenaskyline

thats the least of their concerns.
those pretty red dashboard LED's are constantly going out.

those cars have more electrical issues then Edison's first lightbulb.

my old army recruiter got an audi, and i warned her: DONT DO IT.
within months she would put her turn signal on, her sunroof would open. she would open her driver window- the trunk would open. she would push the horn.. the wipers would turn on. that car was plagued with issues JUST LIKE ALL GERMAN CARS.

my gf's 2005 dodge(mercedes) ram daytona (guys dont ask-this was prior to knowing me lol) she had more dash issues, then god knows what. she had an ipod interface installed and her wipers would turn on intermittently lol. i ran a carfax on her car- the girl was at the dealer every 3 weeks for electrical issues LOL... THANK GOD SHE'S NOW PUSHING A 2010 G37S
Hey take it easy IMstricken I loved that car..So what if it broke down almost every day. IT was my first baby. I accepted her for what she was-a piece of crap.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:56 PM
prankiRL

Originally Posted by 1NEETO
This. I have never owned a brand new car but I did rebuilt a few engines and broke them in doing dyno pulls. You have to rev it like you mean to drive it if you want those rings to sit properly. most car companies dyno test their engines before installing them. And I've seen how new cars get unloaded from the barges they come in. Trust me, those guys don't baby them off the boat!

Buy the car and enjoy it from day one. Your car will be fine.
This just made me feel less guilty for what ive been doing with my g
Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Interesting... I drove the A5 and was so happy to get back in my G after the test dry e. It's nose heavy and felt sluggish and heavy compared to the G.
Originally Posted by MSCA
Tell you what.....I still love my G37, but I have to admit that driving some of the German competitors makes me think twice about going Japanese next time. I've always been a fan of the 3-series BMWs and they are still great driving machines these days. And I still can't get over how fantastic the Audi A5 is to drive. Everything on that car just feels perfect. I like it so much that I might just make the switch in the not-too-distant future.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Dejan

Same here...my boss has an A5 - great looking car, love the interior, but when pushed, it is very nose heavy, and AWD doesn't seem to help much.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Breitling65

- more reliable
- my wife thinks it looks better
- doesn't have the negative image associations of the BMW
All above is weird to me. 1 - wait until rain for water leaks, 2&3- first heard things like this about bimmer. 335 is better car hands down in most aspects, I would get it if not as high $.

Quick Reply: New 2011 G37 Coupe - First Impressions