Sponsored By:

New 2011 G37 Coupe - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:13 PM
htownboy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duster
Even just taking it to 4k gives plenty of rev. I may have gone over a couple of times. I'm also not much of a "break-in period" guy. I think you have to be nice to the engine, but I don't think you have to baby it so much.

I interpret their recommendation as "take it easy" the first 1,000 miles, learn how to drive the car, and make sure everything works right. More of a "shakedown" than a "break-in".

--- D
I agree 100% I always take it easy for about 1000 miles and then I start driving it like I stole it. I believe this actually helps properly seat rings etc as I've never had an oil burner since I've been driving (1978)...
I mean when I was a mechanic and built engines at a custom shop, we would install then run for about 15 minutes, tune and then race. If they were for street machines, they got the same treatment.
Never had one come apart or any weird issues. Toyota's 5MGE - 7M's, Nissan's (all), small block Chevy's, Ford's Mopar's turning consistent 7000, 8000+ RPM's for a few race seasons or hundreds of thousands of road miles...
I know if you are too easy on break in, the entire VQ and older Nissan series engines tend to burn oil as they get older. Thus my harder break in-ring\valve seat theory works well for me and others.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 PM
htownboy
Registered Member

Good report and comparison on that 2011 G
Thanks

Last edited by htownboy; 03-27-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:41 PM
G-MENTED
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like the 335i, but in the long run, it would cost more to maintain.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:10 AM
aexis

Originally Posted by G-MENTED
i like the 335i, but in the long run, it would cost more to maintain.
New BMW's get maintenance included in purchase price for their warranty. What sucks though is that you can not get any warranty maintenance done for free outside of this schedule, so if the BMW computer tells you oil change every 15,000 miles that's all you get (unless you pay out of pocket). A loaded 335i also costs about 10k more so ya you are right
Old 03-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Duster

Originally Posted by aexis
New BMW's get maintenance included in purchase price for their warranty. What sucks though is that you can not get any warranty maintenance done for free outside of this schedule, so if the BMW computer tells you oil change every 15,000 miles that's all you get (unless you pay out of pocket). A loaded 335i also costs about 10k more so ya you are right
However, they do burn less fuel than the G. I wonder how long it would take to save $10K in gas...? I'll run the numbers on that.

Edit: Scratch that. I was going to do the numbers, but when I looked for fuel economy numbers (NOT from the company websites), they both show a combined 12.0 l/100km. I guess the beemer won't save you any money then. But, if a car can save 1 liter per hundred kilometres, and assuming you drive 25,000 km per year, that car will save you 250 litres per year. At $1.25 per litre, that car is saving you just over $300 per year. It would take a long time for the beemer to make up $10,000, unless it is MUCH more fuel efficient.

Last edited by Duster; 03-28-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:37 PM
jfitzoz

Exclamation I am probably older than most of you.

I am 57 years old and I have owned and driven everything except the Italian and British made sports cars.

My 2011 G37 coupe is great! I decided to get away from the German brands simply because their prices kept going up, up and their quality was going south due to the volume of cars produced.

Make no mistake, the Porsche, Mercedes, Audi and BMW I purchased are excellent motor vehicles, but they cost way too much to buy/lease and maintain plus they don't always work like they are suppose to.

I can't remember the last time I had to take one of my Japanese luxury or sports car in for unscheduled service work. The Lexus, Infiniti and Acuras are fair priced, high quality cars for those too busy to spend their time being hosed by the European brand dealers or the after market shops.

Some people say the Japanese cars have no soul. I say rubbish, people are suppose to have souls and automobiles are suppose to take you fast and safely to your destination and back again.

Not all Japanese are wealthy so please give what you can to the American Red Cross to help the mothers, fathers, sons and daughters, brothers and sisters of the people that helped design and manufactured your Infiniti.

Cheers!

JohnDOMO
Old 03-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Duster

Originally Posted by jfitzoz
Some people say the Japanese cars have no soul. I say rubbish, people are suppose to have souls and automobiles are suppose to take you fast and safely to your destination and back again.
Quote of the day. Thanks for the reality check!

--- D
Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Chico

Originally Posted by jfitzoz
I am 57 years old and I have owned and driven everything except the Italian and British made sports cars.

My 2011 G37 coupe is great! I decided to get away from the German brands simply because their prices kept going up, up and their quality was going south due to the volume of cars produced.

Make no mistake, the Porsche, Mercedes, Audi and BMW I purchased are excellent motor vehicles, but they cost way too much to buy/lease and maintain plus they don't always work like they are suppose to.

I can't remember the last time I had to take one of my Japanese luxury or sports car in for unscheduled service work. The Lexus, Infiniti and Acuras are fair priced, high quality cars for those too busy to spend their time being hosed by the European brand dealers or the after market shops.

Not all Japanese are wealthy so please give what you can to the American Red Cross to help the mothers, fathers, sons and daughters, brothers and sisters of the people that helped design and manufactured your Infiniti.

Cheers!

JohnDOMO
Well said sir!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:17 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know my Infiniti interior has more zen than any eurocrap.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 PM
NYCMaxima

Sheet I have a Nissan and I have a much more welcoming interior then those entry level German cars.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:18 PM
MSCA
Banned

Tell you what.....I still love my G37, but I have to admit that driving some of the German competitors makes me think twice about going Japanese next time. I've always been a fan of the 3-series BMWs and they are still great driving machines these days. And I still can't get over how fantastic the Audi A5 is to drive. Everything on that car just feels perfect. I like it so much that I might just make the switch in the not-too-distant future.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:34 AM
aexis

Funny I actually like the new 335is more than the M3. The M3 sort of seems like overkill for a daily driver. Everyone who wants a 450+ hp G56 or something for $65,000 how often will you use that power unless your at a track, and how much more is the insurance premium+maintenance costs? I read the GTR maintenance recommends replacing brakes / maintaining parts at 10,000 miles at a cost of $8,000! Dunno if that's really necessary though, anyone have GTR maintenance reports?

Anyway the S5 with phantom package is a beautiful car as is the 335is..

New 2011 G37 Coupe - First Impressions-fwep1.jpg

New 2011 G37 Coupe - First Impressions-nwe5g.png

Leaning towards the F30 2012/13 BMW update same time Infiniti should release the next gen G too so we will see!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:55 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by aexis
Funny I actually like the new 335is more than the M3. The M3 sort of seems like overkill for a daily driver. Everyone who wants a 450+ hp G56 or something for $65,000 how often will you use that power unless your at a track, and how much more is the insurance premium+maintenance costs? I read the GTR maintenance recommends replacing brakes / maintaining parts at 10,000 miles at a cost of $8,000! Dunno if that's really necessary though, anyone have GTR maintenance reports?

Anyway the S5 with phantom package is a beautiful car as is the 335is..

Leaning towards the F30 2012/13 BMW update same time Infiniti should release the next gen G too so we will see!
Actually, that Audi has the Titanium Sport Package (those wheels and the blacked out trim are a dead give-away) and the "Phantom Black Pearl Effect" is just the name of the paint color, if I'm not mistaken. You can get the Titanium Sport Package on the A5 as well and it looks excellent on several different paint colors.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:58 AM
MSCA
Banned

Simply beautiful....

Old 03-29-2011, 08:11 AM
ImStricken
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Duster
Quote of the day. Thanks for the reality check!

--- D
you can add: "(and did i mention last a long time without fussy electrical issues? Ahem, that means you Mercedes/Audi/BMW!)"

Quick Reply: New 2011 G37 Coupe - First Impressions