G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Will Infiniti make a G37x with a manual transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Duster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Infiniti make a G37x with a manual transmission?

I think offering the G in an AWD version with the 6MT would make it the absolute perfect car involving a lot less compromise. I was forced to choose between the 6MT and the AWD, and time will tell if I'll regret the choice.

Do you guys think Infiniti will offer them both in the same vehicle in coming years? Have there ever been rumours of such a thing?

--- D
Old 03-17-2011, 04:08 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
no. it would be great, but since 6MT are in the minority already, re-engineering the X package is probably not worth the effort. of course, BMW makes the 335X in 6MT and only sells a few of them, but i suppose they are more invested in the "ultimate driving machine" motto and providing manual gearboxes in as many models as possible.

another rationale could be that Infiniti probably feels that anyone wanting the 6MT S package doesn't plan on driving their G's in snow conditions because they have alternate vehicles...like my situation. i never drive mine in the snow, the wife's CRV is used for that.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:22 PM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as far as we know, there is nothing of that sorts upon the horizon.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Duster

I guess if I want AWD and a manual transmission, I'll have to get the GT-R to eliminate the compromise.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:32 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Duster
I guess if I want AWD and a manual transmission, I'll have to get the GT-R to eliminate the compromise.
The GT-R doesn't have a traditional manual transmission; it has a DSG. It you want a "true" manual transmission then you'll need to get a 335xi with a manual or a Acura TL with S-AWD which has a manual option.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:40 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I wish but never,, I don't think they will ever offer it, the X has been out for a long time and for them to not offer a manual before I dont think they will change now...

But they could make it a option on a new are odrer, That would be someting.. Make it only a custom order car..But again . . ...
Old 03-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Duster

Or maybe they'll make it part of the IPL line as it develops? With more and more horsepower, maybe they'll need AWD to keep it all together, and for a car targetted to enthusiasts, maybe they'll have a 6MT option.

In any case, that decision is a few years away for me. At that time I'll look at the 335xi again and see if the reliability problems have been solved. In the meantime I'll enjoy my G!

--- D
Old 03-17-2011, 04:45 PM
jsp872

I was in the same boat, and I had to go with the 7 spd AT due to the amount of snow we get in michigan. rwd manual would have been awesome, but I know I would regret it during winter. but if anyone is willing to sacrifice a little luxury for the 6mt/awd, I'd look into the STI, it's a fun car!!
Old 03-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Duster

Originally Posted by jsp872
I was in the same boat, and I had to go with the 7 spd AT due to the amount of snow we get in michigan. rwd manual would have been awesome, but I know I would regret it during winter. but if anyone is willing to sacrifice a little luxury for the 6mt/awd, I'd look into the STI, it's a fun car!!
I made the opposite choice. I took the RWD 6MT, even though I live in Toronto. I might regret it during the winter, but hopefully my enjoyment in the summer will make up for it!
Old 03-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Romulus1

My cousins husband was talkin to me about this about a month ago, he's worked for infiniti for 9 years now, don't remember exactly what he does but he said its a plan in the works. They loose. A lot of business to bmw and mb because they offer it and infiniti doesn't, so they're lookin to take a little back
Old 03-02-2012, 01:15 PM
mtrsprt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since the G is not true AWD, you can't have a manual transmission. True AWD cars can, because they are always 4 wheels driven....... So no power transferring drive train systems.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Romulus1
My cousins husband was talkin to me about this about a month ago, he's worked for infiniti for 9 years now, don't remember exactly what he does but he said its a plan in the works. They loose. A lot of business to bmw and mb because they offer it and infiniti doesn't, so they're lookin to take a little back

Not going to happen, in fact all indications point to Inifiti doing away with the MT's altogether.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:56 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't think MB even offers manuals anymore in the states.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mtrsprt
Since the G is not true AWD, you can't have a manual transmission. True AWD cars can, because they are always 4 wheels driven....... So no power transferring drive train systems.
AFAIK the AWD system in the G is fed off a pressure line from the rear diff. Not quite sure how that would preclude a manual transmission.

And I thought there never really is "true" AWD in the sense that the systems are always xferring power where it needs to be.....just because the G leaves power in the rear (where it should be, IMHO) 99% of the time doesnt mean its not a true AWD system.

Are all the other AWD systems (BMW, Audi, Acura, etc) driving all 4 wheels at all times?
Old 03-02-2012, 03:18 PM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your best best is an Audi A5 or a 335xi if you want that combination. Otherwise, it's the boy racer options, Subaru WRX and Mitsu EVO.

AWD and manuals, especially with the "weather AWD" type systems (read: not performance oriented systems) are prone to mechanical issues over the years. How do I know? I owned a Jaguar X-Type Sport AWD 5MT and the transfer case did not like spirited driving.

Last edited by SpartanG37S; 03-02-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Will Infiniti make a G37x with a manual transmission?