Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

If you ordered your car, be prepare to wait a little bit longer

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 12:20 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
This entire thread is indicative of what's wrong with the world. Yes I realize that this is an automotive forum and the information is topical. But does anyone else find it incredibly insensitive that the discussion is on damaged vehicles and how much they're worth when one of the biggest natural disasters in recorded history is still taking place and hundreds of people have lost their lives, the entire country of Japan is in ruins, and there's an imminent large scale nuclear disaster unfolding and untold suffering? Have just a tiny bit of decency and compassion people. Not a single sentiment of caring toward Japan or it's people was expressed by a single person in this thread.
To be clear I'm not directing this at BB, this is a thought for all and brings up an interesting discussion in it's own right. You have to ask yourself one question though... what good does it do to type on a forum about your best wishes for the Japanese people... to type concern and show yourself to be a "sensitive" person. Who exactly does that help.. answer yourself, cause it damn sure didn't do a lick of good for anyone currently in Japan.

What would be more useful.. someone's best wishes and sensitivity or someone that actually looked into buying a damaged GTR to try and return some financial benefit to the Japanese people whle achieving their own personal goal.

Taking a look at humanity today is a scary thing. I think most if presented with a need for charity would provide assistance IF it were in thier immediate circle. The farther you get from that the more likely that assistance dwendles to "best wishes." How many of us right now are looking into a hiatus from work and making arrangements to join the peace corp or other relief organization to fly over to Japan and provide assistance? How many have looked into finacial contribution organizations to provide assistance?

Reality is if your not actually doing something real to help these people.. you might as we'll get back to the discussion on salvaging GTR's... at least there you may actually be able to make a difference.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:07 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
i keep watching lots of videos and pictures and it is amazing the strength of a lot of these huge buildings and their design structure that prevented more damage than possible.

I think people need to worry about the residal effects in the upcoming days... i heard the west coast of the US migth be affected by impurities in the air from the nuclear plant
Old 03-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
To be clear I'm not directing this at BB, this is a thought for all and brings up an interesting discussion in it's own right. You have to ask yourself one question though... what good does it do to type on a forum about your best wishes for the Japanese people... to type concern and show yourself to be a "sensitive" person. Who exactly does that help.. answer yourself, cause it damn sure didn't do a lick of good for anyone currently in Japan.

What would be more useful.. someone's best wishes and sensitivity or someone that actually looked into buying a damaged GTR to try and return some financial benefit to the Japanese people whle achieving their own personal goal.

Taking a look at humanity today is a scary thing. I think most if presented with a need for charity would provide assistance IF it were in thier immediate circle. The farther you get from that the more likely that assistance dwendles to "best wishes." How many of us right now are looking into a hiatus from work and making arrangements to join the peace corp or other relief organization to fly over to Japan and provide assistance? How many have looked into finacial contribution organizations to provide assistance?

Reality is if your not actually doing something real to help these people.. you might as we'll get back to the discussion on salvaging GTR's... at least there you may actually be able to make a difference.
I understand that position. Of course it's only human nature to be more sympathetic toward people you personally know or have a connection to. Makes sense.

Words of sympathy typed on a forum will do nothing tangible to help them. That's very true. However, well wishes and condolences tend to make most people feel a little better about a bad situation that is what it is, both the sender and the receiver. For example when I've had close loved ones die, they are dead. No amount of sorrow or condolence will bring them back. But it made me feel much better when my friends, family, or coworkers took the time to offer condolences. Some even offered to do anything they could to ease the grief. And the really good ones just took it upon themselves to actually take the initiative and do something thoughtful like cook a meal, clean the house for the arrival of visiting well wishers, or run errands without being asked, etc. I even found some money that someone(s) had left to help with costs. Anonymously. Don't know who gave it to me. That's the right thing to do. If they'd immediately offered to buy my relative's clothes or belongings for half price because he's dead now and he won't be needing them and the money would help our family, I'd have found that a bit crass and off putting. And I'd have probably been just a little bit pissed at their audacity to make it seemed like they were trying to help me instead of personally profit from my loss themselves.

In practical terms of the Japan earthquake/tsunami, one of the best things you can do IMO short of going there to help out hands on (which isn't very practical for the vast majority of people) is to help out financially. Every single one of us without exception driving a $40K car has the ability to do something. The Red Cross is my personal organization of choice because they are experienced and the money actually goes toward helping people who need it. My belief is that will help a whole lot more than buying flood damaged vehicles in an effort to "help" others.

Japan earthquake relief: How to help - Mar. 11, 2011

American Red Cross
Old 03-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Art Vandaley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im pretty sure those are water damaged.. i hardly think the earthquake was strong enough to bounce the car 3 feet or more in the air to stack them like that..

and as far as buying them after the water damage, I wouldn't, electrical is defiantly all gone, I mean if you buy it and then completely rip it apart in to pieces i can see that, but don't expect using it... its not a 1950s dodge... its going to need tons of things replaced.. Same thin happened after the flooding in New Orleans and somewhere else in US, all these cars started surfacing in Canada,and all with electrical problems

the odds are all these are headed to china and Russia, with no actual car plants in Russia so they are by far the biggest importer of used Jap cars, there are cities where all the cars are right hand drive by this point.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:14 PM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
They be burning...
YouTube - ShippingCarsFire
Old 03-13-2011, 03:27 AM
tWistedMissiOn
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ NNNNNOoOOOOOooooooo.......... hopefully Japan will heal from this disaster..
Old 03-13-2011, 07:03 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The insurance companies will make a payout to the car companies to cover the loss and then the insurance companies will scrap them. They may also be cut up and parted out.

A few of them may find their way onto the black market but insurance companies are generally pretty good about making sure vehicles like this that have been written off are scrapped.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:45 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
http://inapcache.boston.com/universa...uake2/bp22.jpg

Old 03-14-2011, 03:33 AM
JuicyG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats crazy