G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

my key is not recognized by the car...wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:01 PM
adam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my key is not recognized by the car...wtf?

I haven't driven the car all winter. Both of the spares don't work. The battery died but I recharged it and I'm guessing the key needs to be reactivated or something?

When I physically open the door and press the "lock" button on the remote it does that "beep beep beep beep beep beep" sound and that's the only way to get a response from the key.

When I put the key into the little socket (left side of steering wheel)it doesn't recognize the key. The push ignition button is lit and shows "ON") So I know that there is some contact between the car and the key and I know that the battery in the remote is good since the car does respond to pressing the lock button.

I'll try disconnecting the battery and playing around with it a little more.
Anyone have any tips before I hook it up to the computer later?
Old 03-10-2011, 03:54 PM
JustNgo

What do you mean you "recharged it"? You just replace the battery on these. Whenever I swap batteries, I have to manually unlock the door, then place the key fob in the socket and it re-initializes it. Has disconnecting the battery and reinserting the key fob in the socket worked?
Old 03-10-2011, 05:06 PM
adam

The battery discharged itself so I recharged it and then I hooked it up. Why would I buy a new battery when I have a good one?

I connected the battery first then put it in the socket, but I'll give it another go. this time I'll put the key in the socket first and connect the battery.

What use does it do putting it into the socket if there is no plug-in or infrared connection?

It seems like that socket is just a place to keep the key if you dont wanna keep it in your pocket...
Old 03-10-2011, 05:33 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by adam
The battery discharged itself so I recharged it and then I hooked it up. Why would I buy a new battery when I have a good one?

I connected the battery first then put it in the socket, but I'll give it another go. this time I'll put the key in the socket first and connect the battery.

What use does it do putting it into the socket if there is no plug-in or infrared connection?

It seems like that socket is just a place to keep the key if you dont wanna keep it in your pocket...
How did you recharge the battery? It's just a regular batter, not a recharageable one.

If the battery is dead, putting the key into the socket allows the car to read the RFID chip in the intelligent key.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Jakex1

are you referring to the socket in the left side of the cockpit? that doesnt charge the battery.....
Old 03-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
So THAT's what that socket is for..
Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 PM
jdljr

I THINK he's saying he recharged the car's battery, not the FOB battery.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:34 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
So THAT's what that socket is for..
It's no secret, it explains it in the manual.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:54 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 03-11-2011, 12:07 AM
JuicyG37

go to dealer
Old 03-11-2011, 12:07 AM
JuicyG37

the keys are pricey though
Old 03-11-2011, 12:12 AM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JuicyG37
the keys are pricey though
LMAO. Why would he need a new key? I would assume he only needed a battery. Explain to the dealer what happened and give him the $5 for the new battery. The tech will put it in and reinstate the connection with your car if need be...
Old 03-11-2011, 01:29 PM
JustNgo

Ah, I see, you recharged the car battery. Yes, the socket, as explained earlier, is a place to recognize the key when the key fob battery has been drained. Is your car not starting when the key is in the socket? I would suggest getting a new battery for the key and if all else fails, the dealer is the way to go.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:24 AM
alinmontreal

Same thing happened with my 2011 M37x after the car battery died I jump started it but it wouldn't start and I got the Warning Key System message. Odd since it worked to lock/unlock the doors and lit up the door handles when I approached. Tried everything, charged the battery full overnight without luck. Was going to call for a tow to the dealer but thought to disconnect the positive terminal from the battery and then with the intelligent key being held up against the start button by my daughter, reconnected the positive terminal. After a few seconds got a "key recognised" message and it started. Don't know that it would work for everyone but it worked for me.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:25 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
I think the OP did a poor job of explaining, he's talking about recharging the car battery not the FOB .... but, I bet his FOB batteries are dead too. I wish more people would RTFM.

Quick Reply: my key is not recognized by the car...wtf?