Sponsored By:

Feedback on buying a new G37

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:11 AM
mirage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feedback on buying a new G37

Hi all,

I'm new to the board, but hopefully can make some acquaintances in the future! I'm interested in a new G37 (2010?), not sure I want to pay the 2011 prices yet. I'm coming from a BMW 5 series. Although the driving experience is great, the reliability and frequent trips to the dealer cannot be said of the same.

Are there any known issues with the G37? I've searched this board and seem to have come across some discussions with:

• 7AT transmission issues (jerky/inconsistent)
  • paint quality issues (should i get clear film protector for the front in freeway driving?)
  • leather seat bubbles?
  • brake squeals?
  • body rattles, squeaks, creaking? (normal wear and tear ok after several years)

Is the G37 easy to work on (Can the G37 be modified easy without tripping any computer issues)? I'm so used to changing oil, brake pads, sparkplugs, filters, fluids, routine maintenance myself without having to make a trip to the dealer reset some stupid computer error codes that you can't reset yourself. I guess some of the above is covered under new warranty/service? I hated BMWs for the fact that some modifications require dealer visits to program the computer, but looking to the fact that I can work on my car.

I'm looking for a very reliable car that will last me 10 years at a minimum, and I plan to rack up 100k miles (maybe 150-200k if it has treated me well and I plan to take care of it thoroughly throughout my 10 years). I've read Consumer Reports and other reviews which grade the G35/G37 favorably in terms of overall reliability.

I do about 50 miles per day of mostly freeway driving in southern California. Sometimes stop and go, for the most part, I can get away with local/longer routes so I won't have to suffer through the traffic.

I'm leaning towards the G37 journey Automatic, bluetooth, no navigation (can't think of anything else for now), but that should be a start.

Thanks all for your feedback,

Nicholas

Last edited by mirage; 03-01-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:23 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
7 AT tranny... I've driven loaners with it and it seems okay to me. Just like any other AT tranny.

Paint: Yeah, we got soft paint quality. Clear bra is a good investment.

leather seat: seen a handful of really bad bubbling issues here (from the thread), but mine has been excellent. (almost 3 years now)

brake squeal: only happens initially when the car's been parked for the whole night or day and in reverse only. (probably just a layer of dust/rust coating the rotors)

body rattles and squeeks: non existent on mine.

I know a few guys here do their own oil changes and other fluid changes...

I think you'll be happier with the G than the beemer.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:27 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Get the sport! Don't be like me and regret not getting it. Happy modding!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:37 PM
qwerty0092
Registered Member

sport for sure! much bang for the buck.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:30 PM
csnpsu

It you are going to sit in traffic get the AT, you will hate the S.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:35 PM
mirage

Originally Posted by qwerty0092
sport for sure! much bang for the buck.
I'm confused. So when you guys say sport, do you mean the sport which has the manual transmission, instead of the journey?

Or do you mean get the sport package with the journey?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:00 PM
beattyG37

Get the Journey with the sport package, same thing as the sport but automatic. It is still a G37S. Mine has been great!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:22 PM
chairman25

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The "sport" is available in automatic and in AWD, which being in SoCal you most likely will not need. There is a different front facia, paddle shifter, rev matching down shift, larger brakes, stiffer suspension, etc.

I have had the G 35 Sport (sedan) and now have the G37 XS coupe (all wheel drive sport). These cars are solid and reliable, but unless you have your own shop, leave the maintenance to the pros, at least until your warranty expires.

Now is the best time to get an 11, I just did and the dealer was very agressive on pricing, etc.

I agree with the others, sport is the only way to fly. For what it is worth, get the Nav the system is far superior to anything I have seen recently. The bluetooth is clear and easy to set up.

Do your homework and you will have what you really want, a good car with few problems and a good dealer network.

Good luck.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:40 PM
trippen

Are there any known issues
You forgot one issue, batteries, I'm on my third.
First lasted thee months, second lasted six months and my current battery is working good so far Purchased car new Nov 2009.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:58 PM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Known issues have been sorted out as of MY2010. My car has been flawless. Get the Sport model without a doubt. Transmission choice is up to the driver. I prefer MTs, hence the choice. 7AT is a good auto trans, so you can't really go wrong.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:24 PM
4drScreamer

+1 Journey Sport package automatic. No issues with mine to date. Close to 12,000 miles and 6 months old.

Get it. You'll love it. Enjoy the ride!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:42 PM
mirage

For what it is worth, get the Nav the system is far superior to anything I have seen recently. The bluetooth is clear and easy to set up.
I have been using Google maps/navigation on my Android phone for quite awhile now, and I am happy with it. I can't think of any other reason to spend an extra $2k on navigation, but I could be wrong.

I utilize the bluetooth functionality a lot, and the only thing that irks me is when the car does not recognize the address book. The only thing is that I have to dial from the phone (which I have in my pocket and dislike taking out while driving). I tend to use the last-dialed # frequently or speed dials which I hope this has.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:45 PM
mirage

Originally Posted by 4drScreamer
+1 Journey Sport package automatic. No issues with mine to date. Close to 12,000 miles and 6 months old.
Although I don't typically like the sedan on the Infiniti, yours is clean and made me appreciate them much more. Very nice.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 AM
glassjaw047

Originally Posted by chairman25
The "sport" is available in automatic and in AWD, which being in SoCal you most likely will not need. There is a different front facia, paddle shifter, rev matching down shift, larger brakes, stiffer suspension, etc.

I have had the G 35 Sport (sedan) and now have the G37 XS coupe (all wheel drive sport). These cars are solid and reliable, but unless you have your own shop, leave the maintenance to the pros, at least until your warranty expires.

Now is the best time to get an 11, I just did and the dealer was very agressive on pricing, etc.

I agree with the others, sport is the only way to fly. For what it is worth, get the Nav the system is far superior to anything I have seen recently. The bluetooth is clear and easy to set up.

Do your homework and you will have what you really want, a good car with few problems and a good dealer network.

Good luck.
He's 100% correct. Just got my G37xS coupe Monday night. I got around $6,000 off the MSRP which was $47,550. Get in asap if u want an insane deal. My lease payment is $415 a month on a 36 month with 15,000 miles.
Only taxes and fees up front. I'm extremely happy with the outcome so far.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:57 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mirage
I have been using Google maps/navigation on my Android phone for quite awhile now, and I am happy with it. I can't think of any other reason to spend an extra $2k on navigation, but I could be wrong.
The navigation is definitely worth the $. I have a Driod X and Google Maps / Navigation is great, but I don't even bother to use it any more. The G's navigation is a large 7" display and best of all it is integrated, all I have to do is start the car and drive. Voice is crystal clear and loud. And I love the touch screen!

When I was shopping for the G, like you, I thought it was a waste of money to spend extra $$$$ for the navigation. I was wrong. I am so happy that I got it. Absolutely no regret.

Quick Reply: Feedback on buying a new G37