Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Objective IPL Opinions -- Looking to Buy an IPL

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 01:42 AM
IPL - NYC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Objective IPL Opinions -- Looking to Buy an IPL

Just drove an IPL -- Malbec/Monaco Red/Auto -- and thought it was awesome!

I currently lease a '08 G35 S 4Dr Auto, but the lease is up in six months. Feeling like a coupe is just what the doctor ordered and my pops just bought a '11 G37 XS Coupe and its a pretty sick car.

Drove the 335i and Audi A5 Prestige Sport, both of which you can keep for the lease price ($700+ per month plus several grand out of pocket).

Felt the IPLs lightness, tighter suspension and extra power as soon as I pulled off the dealer lot and thought it looked much better in person than it does in pics. Plus the exhaust growl is hot!

Curious what others think -- specifically those who own an IPL? Is it worth the extra $5K when compared to an '11 G37 S with Navi? No denying the IPL is exclusive with only 400 made, 200 of which are available in the Malbec/Monaco combo.

Also, I got a quote of $619/month for a 42 month lease with 15K miles and $0 down. Only out of pocket is 1st month and a couple hundred in state registration fees. All taxes and acquisition fee rolled into the monthly payment (no security). Plus, the dealer will eat $3,200 of remaining payments on my current G. I would literally give them a check for $612 plus a couple hundred more to cover state fees and they would give me the keys to the IPL and take the key to my G. I pay $539/month for my current '08 G35 S with Navi and only put first month down at the time, so the IPL would only be $80 more per month for a car that is about $9K more.

Is this a good price/swap? What are others paying?

Cannot wait for new G Coupe (2012+) to come out so I need to crap or get off the pot now!

Any objective thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 02-25-2011, 01:46 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I think the IPL looks better in person than in pictures. The one I saw in person recently looked pretty sweet.

However, it's basically for people that want to throw more money at something to be "exclusive."

If you want to pay for that, go ahead and enjoy it.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:27 AM
aexis

You can get a loaded 2011 prem/sport/nav coupe for well under the MSRP of 45k, while many dealers are staying firm on around 50k for the IPL. So what do you get for the extra 5-8k? Suspension, special paint, aero kit (you can have a similar aero kit on regular coupes as well though), 18hp, graphite wheels, red stitching etc.

Like many others have said you can get a loaded G and put 5-8k in mods and outperform an IPL, but if you just want a nice stock G with everything on it the IPL is not a bad choice at all. It comes down to are you willing to pay the premium for the exclusivity? If so go for it! if not get a loaded G and spend the extra cash on mods yourself.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:39 AM
Breitling65

Get it man, we need someone first!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I thought the car looked pretty good in person (saw a Malbec Black/red monaco)

Im not a fan of the huge exhaust tips, I think the wheels look pretty good. Not so sure about the aero kit.....it looks a little too squared off. I honestly think the OEM aero kit (non-IPL) is a really nice setup for these cars.

I talked to my salesman about it (i.e. only 18HP extra, etc) when I went to pick up my car and he said Infiniti had a price in mind so they kept the car at that price range. Not quite sure how well that will work out for them, because as mentioned above you can "build" yourself pretty much the same car for less $$$.

It'll be interesting to see if people start buying IPLs and Ebaying their wheels.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:19 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I would go loaded Sport, Got a Great quote( PM me) For $415 a month on a loaded G37XS 6 SPD Coupe. For me to pay an Extra $200 a month for 18HP and road and track's road test show the IPL to be the same performence wise as the sport. I saw one in person when I went to lease my G37X Coupe. I did love the way it looked and the rims are NICE . But for that much more no thanx, Be smart IMO but the Sport the look for your own wheels and exhaust if you want, The money difference just doesnt did it for me. .02
Old 02-25-2011, 08:41 AM
MoonliteMadness

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I suggest you go with a 2011 G37xS Coupe and save a few thousand dollars. Since you live in NY, you'll appreciate the AWD in the winter months. Plus, your payment should be in the $550/month range. By the way, the current Infiniti pull-through program covers your last three payments. So, I would double-check with the dealer to see if they are actually eating the other three payments or if they are simply rolling them into your monthly payment. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:48 AM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the IPL was available when I bought my 2010, I would have bought that instead of my G37S. It's a small price to pay for the exclusivity, and I would have just upped my downpayment to make up the difference for the monthly payment.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:38 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I could see leasing a IPL now otherwise I think if you buy into Infiniti's marketing ploy by buying today's exlusive IPL, you'll be setting yourself up for an even greater let down since today's exlusivity will most likely be tomorrows standard options or worse, the last of a 5 year line now obsolete. Besides a stock IPL is not exlusive... it's just another IPL G. Also with next gen entering the picture late 2012, that's a pretty short honeymoon for $50K.

Other side of that coin is that you'd be benefiting from 5 years of "refinement", versus the high risk of jumping in to a first year next gen.

While I typically like to own, right now I'd do a 2 year lease and avoid buying a G now.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:13 PM
DaCePtak0n

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, IPL looks and is nothing special to me. If it was puttin up M3 numbers, then it'd be worth it...
Old 02-25-2011, 01:18 PM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know I have bashed the IPL, mostly it is a first year run car. What does the future hold for the Infiniti Performance Line? Is next year the year they drop something that produces a large gain than 18hp? Which 18hp is not a big gain or much to brag about. Do I like the look absolutely, the wheels are impressive the Malbec Black is a great color. I am not a fan of the Monaco Red interior, however I am impressed with the Graphite with Red Stitching on the 6 spd coupe. This car really should not have been put into production with a 7AT, but I can certainly understand the popularity need for it. I think it is a great car to LEASE, is it going to be a Collectors car, possibly if you never drive it. There are just too many uncertainties with this car and Infiniti does a great job of keeping things a secret. What could next years IPL look like, since Infiniti likes to keep things changed up, is it going to spread into other model lineups, who knows or is the IPL going to be a one time shot? Maybe the one time shot would help out those collectors. Is there much that they could do different, I don't know. There is just too many uncertainties with the IPL.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:35 PM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
For that price if you really want it jump on it, some people are paying over 600mo for coupes non fully loaded. I think there's 2 guys on here with IPL's if you want a detailed owners point of view. But the IPL is not quicker nor does it handle better than an S5 so that was pure mental. But it's not about that, if you want it... Pull the trigger! But who told you their would only be 400? You can build them online now, are you telling me if they randomly got 300 orders Infiniti wouldn't build them? Tell your salesmen to show you that in writing. Besides that yeah buy it!
Old 02-25-2011, 02:04 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
saw the IPL in person at the showroom and although it does look better in person than in pictures, I'm still not sold. Only thing that I'd really want are the red stitching and the red leather. I'd still rather get a loaded sport coupe and spend the money saved with the mods that I really like.

But you're talking leases here so I guess modding will be out of the question.

My question to the OP is, why would the IPL's exclusivity matter to you if it is just going to be a lease?
Old 02-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Honestly, the extra money you pay for the IPL is for exclusivity. Your not paying for performance, or an exclusive look (minus the red seats/stitches). You pay for the little badge of the back and the fact there arent many around. My g37x that i have modded could run circles around the ipl's 18hp and "tuned" suspension and i have spent less than the extra 5-8k te ipl is
Old 02-26-2011, 12:01 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
my boy loves having his exclusive anniversary sedan. my good client gets stares all day long with his graphite shadow IPL...

honestly, it's still a great lease price on the IPL... look at what people were paying to be one of the first g37's on the block back in August 2007.

Infiniti's pull ahead program works out well now if you want to get out early it just pays

Quick Reply: Objective IPL Opinions -- Looking to Buy an IPL