Sponsored By:

IPL test drive impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:28 PM
usndocgreen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IPL test drive impressions

So, I finally had the chance to drive an 2011 IPL 6MT. Here are my impressions

Appearance: The car I drove was Graphite Shadow and I really like the color. It goes really well with the rim color and the new headlights which are no longer all chrome (ugly orange strip is still a necessary get rid of item) At first I wasnt a fan overall, but the body kit is really growing on me. Since there is no adhesive and this kit comes from manufacturer it looks really clean. My favorite part is actually the side skirts. They look really good on the car. Just enough flair out at the bottom. The front and rear as well as spoiler seem to go well together. It does look better in person than in pics. I think the car will look MUCH better after being lowered!!

Interior: Interior is pretty similar to my G37S. The interior was the black with red stitch which look pretty sweet! I did like the new NAV screen which is much brighter and appears much clearer. The salesperson did insist that the new unit features much easier sync capabilities and phonebook access. I did not try to sync so I cant vouch. The Restaurant Zagat rating thing seemed silly at first but I was thinking about all the times my wife drive around trying to find a good place to eat. It could be helpful. Otherwise clean interior all around as usual!

Performance: Sooo... I asked the salesperson "What's the big difference between the IPL and the G37s" and the response was "Horsepower". After chuckling to myself I managed to get out a "Not so different then" at which point the salesperson got very quiet. I mean I don't know how you can call +18 HP a MAJOR difference. Honestly as I pushed the car a little bit I found little difference between it and my G37s. Perhaps a slightly quicker throttle response but nothing overwhelming by any means. Car held the road a little better but nothing to write home about.

Transmission: This was honestly, besides the exterior, the biggest change for me when driving the IPL. The manual seem to shift which much less effort and smoother transitions. Up and down shifting were much nicer!! Also, lower gears did not feel as notchy. I don't think it was my imagination but there was a much longer clutch travel. Great improvement here with the IPL. I have not driven a 2011 G37s this may be an improvement there also.

Overall impressions are that this car has some nice features, but I don't see anything that would make me want to rebrand this car as an entirely new line!! Would I pay the bigger price tag?? I am torn!! I do like the new rims but I would probably go to Volks anyway. The suspension is better but that will probably become KW V3 very shortly. Oh and Exhaust sounded better too but thats gonna have to be upraded most likely.... SOOOO.....all that considered I dont know if I want to spend that more for a nice body kit and new electronics that are a NICE addition as well as the rims.... HMMMM might have to really fall in love with that body kit before making that decision!!! For what its worth thats my $.02!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:45 PM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice write up. I've only driven the 7AT version, which I was not impressed with, glad to see that the 6MT has nothing more to be desirable.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
nice! honestly i think the ipl is a waste. Sport "tuned" suspension will not be as better as after market coils, transmission with upgraded flywheel+clutch will probably be better than the ipl. that +18 horsepower can come for cheaper with a catback/testpipes. Id much rather save the $$$ and spend it on aftermarket parts.

Though i do agree black seats with red stitching is cool, and i like the look on the engine cover under the hood... nut not for the premium
Old 02-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Quicker throttle response?" Really? It would be worth the money for that alone... LOL
Old 02-18-2011, 03:41 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice review.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:58 PM
yogregb

Nice job. Really, you like the rims? The only thing that I would appreciate is a cleaner screen with more graphics... my G is modded to the point that it out performs this car in stock form.....

On second look, those wheels aren't bad....

Last edited by yogregb; 02-18-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:59 PM
aexis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The higher screen res is standard on all 2011 nav's, not just the IPL so it is not really a "IPL" selling point. I do agree though the higher res navs are much nicer compared to the 08's
Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 PM
usndocgreen

Yeah the rims grew on me. I plan on modding a long way from stock so all of the "enhancements" on this car I would probably replace. So..probably just gonna go with a new 2011 G37s with NAV.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:56 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Funny have looked at this twice at my dealer, Agree with the above coment that it was a waste,, I had a salesman ask me if I like it and told him it was a waste, If infiniti wanted a serious Performence line, IPL they should have slapped a Stillen super charger on it.. Lexus at least made a serious HP difference in their performence line, ISF,, Infiniiti wasted there money,

I do like the rims tho, ,AHAH
Old 02-19-2011, 07:22 AM
Chico

The IPL will eventually become a performance coupe with 400+ HP. The problem is that it will cost north of 60K. Infiniti has been very clear about how they don't want to compete with high performance cars because it will inflate the price too much. The IPL has a great residual value making it a great lease. Can you say that about the M3 or S4? However, Infiniti will eventually go for the high performance mark, but we can forget about being able to afford one. At least I won't be able to afford one. I'll take it as it is.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:16 AM
usndocgreen

LEase

Originally Posted by Chico
The IPL will eventually become a performance coupe with 400+ HP. The problem is that it will cost north of 60K. Infiniti has been very clear about how they don't want to compete with high performance cars because it will inflate the price too much. The IPL has a great residual value making it a great lease. Can you say that about the M3 or S4? However, Infiniti will eventually go for the high performance mark, but we can forget about being able to afford one. At least I won't be able to afford one. I'll take it as it is.
Now that you mention it they were really insistent on the lease option. I mentioned I owned and I was looking to buy again most likely. At least 5 times and 3 different people their from the salesperson to the manager to his manager asked me if I had ever leased before or would I be interested in leasing.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Chico

Originally Posted by usndocgreen
Now that you mention it they were really insistent on the lease option. I mentioned I owned and I was looking to buy again most likely. At least 5 times and 3 different people their from the salesperson to the manager to his manager asked me if I had ever leased before or would I be interested in leasing.
Makes sense. You can get into an IPL for way less money than any other $50K coupe.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:07 AM
chairman25

I test drove the IPL and compared it to the XS. IPL is lighter (obvious, I know). The car is fast and has all the options I wanted.

My problem with the car is that it is about a half an inch lower, and with the body kit, you will hit speed bumps, low driveways, and the occasional parking lot cement stopper. I also felt that unless I lived in an area where winter weather consisted of lows in the 40's and 50's and no snow/ice, I'd have to say "thanks, but no thanks".

A friend of mine in the NYC metro area, saw things differently and just bought the IPL. He'll buy "winter tires" next fall and "enjoy it" from spring to the first frost. Good luck with the NYC area roads. We'll compare notes my XS vs his IPL, not in speed or comfort, but in durability.

As a side note, his dealer is "etching" his vin on all of his windows claiming that as a high profile car this "may" prevent theft and parting out of the car. I think it is a good idea.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:35 AM
SpartanG37S

Originally Posted by aexis
The higher screen res is standard on all 2011 nav's, not just the IPL so it is not really a "IPL" selling point. I do agree though the higher res navs are much nicer compared to the 08's
The hi-res screens debuted in 2010 for the G. That was a selling point for me because the 08-09 screens look too cartooney. The GT-R had the same lower res screen until 2011 as well if I'm not mistaken.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:43 PM
usndocgreen

So, quick question here. After more reading I realized that the exhaust on the IPL is a true dual setup. Infiniti swears this increases air flow by 30%. If that is the case this should have a significant affect if you TT the car right?