G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Making a road and track G37! Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:46 PM
scaglietti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making a road and track G37! Need advice!

Alright here's the deal. Ive been saving for an extraordinarily long time and im finally ready to buy a daily driving coupe that *will* be tracked on the weekend. Here's my game plan, purchase a couple year old g37 (~20-30 on the clock). Fairly standard plan so far, then come the upgrades.

first 6 months:

STILLEN 350Z / G35 / G37 / 370Z Headers -- 700
STILLEN : STILLEN 350Z / G35 / G37 / 370Z Headers

STILLEN Generation 3 Ultra Long Tube Dual Intake Kit -- 520
STILLEN : STILLEN Generation 3 Ultra Long Tube Dual Intake Kit

Debating Exhaust
Looking for exotic sound -- Recomendations?

Come next spring (2012):

STILLEN High Performance Clutch / Aluminum Flywheel Combo - 1065
STILLEN : STILLEN High Performance Clutch / Aluminum Flywheel Combo

STILLEN Oil Cooler Kit - 545
STILLEN : STILLEN Oil Cooler Kit

STILLEN Performance Lightweight Pulleys -- 160
STILLEN : STILLEN Performance Lightweight Pulleys

STILLEN 370Z / G37 Intercooled Supercharger System -- 6300
selected atm, good power, has warranty, im open to discussion on this.
STILLEN : STILLEN 370Z / G37 Intercooled Supercharger System

STILLEN Camber Adjusters & Toe Arms -- 745
STILLEN : STILLEN Camber Adjusters & Toe Arms

TEIN SUPER STREET Damper Kit -- 1530
STILLEN : TEIN SUPER STREET Damper Kit

Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Kit -- 230
STILLEN : Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Kit

Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars -- 420
STILLEN : Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars

AP Racing AP Racing 6-Piston Big Brake Kits -- 2520
STILLEN : AP Racing AP Racing 6-Piston Big Brake Kits

Which puts in right on course for spring/summer racing next year. Now i've just narrowed down that the g37 is the car i finally want. Im coming to you all because i know you have more knowledge, experience, and a view that i may not have. I want to hear what you think, aside from the obvious stillen heavy equipment list.

One topic i specifically want to hear about is the exhaust and the FI issue. I'd like to know more about exhausts that have that italian sound (the drive-by on this video should help YouTube - G37 : MXP Exhaust : Drive-By). And a bit about the supercharges out there (turbos too); im looking for something a bit north of 500, but that shouldnt be hard with all the other mods in the pipeline.

If ive made a fool of myself and there is already a thread like this let me know, but i didnt see one after a bit of searching. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:47 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Have you considered the 370z?

a 6mt base should be pretty cheap.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:51 PM
scaglietti

I borrowed a buddies for a weekend, it was pretty noisy and it lacks two tiny seats in the back. wrote up a review of it too!

https://www.iwork.com/document/en/?a...z_review.pages
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Great plan! Lots of luck & be sure to keep us posted on your progress. If you are gonna track the G you will need an oil cooler too.
Good luck.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I like your ideas! im trying to do the same. Currently i have BC coilovers, R2c Intakes, gt spec strut bar, bb grounding kit,spc front camber arms berk test pipes, hotchkis sway bars (in the mail) plus various small things. My future plan is : oil cooler, Cat back exhaust (likely a gemini).

A few suggestions: As for pulleys, there has been alot of discussion on the forums, some say they remove the factory harmonic dampener and will cause long term engine damage, i was, and am still considering one. Sam has one i believe and im gonna wait to see if his engine blows up or not, if i were you i would put it on the back burner.

Everyone on this forum will tell you headers arent worth the time, very minimal gain for lots of $ + lots of work. But i believe they will be a good benefit if you get a supercharger, so purchase those with eachother if thats what you decide.

As for the supercharger, talk to weiboy, he had the stillen one and has loads of problems with it i think. Honestly i would take anything GTM over stillen, stillen has some really nice stuff but imo their supercharger isnt as widely tested as GTM.

Think of getting test pipes or HFCs, they will replace the most restrictive part of your exhaust. and imo, if your gonna track, get coilovers not springs.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:18 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You should get sponsored by stillen hahaha

Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 PM
scaglietti

Originally Posted by Steveo47
I like your ideas! im trying to do the same. Currently i have BC coilovers, R2c Intakes, gt spec strut bar, bb grounding kit,spc front camber arms berk test pipes, hotchkis sway bars (in the mail) plus various small things. My future plan is : oil cooler, Cat back exhaust (likely a gemini).

A few suggestions: As for pulleys, there has been alot of discussion on the forums, some say they remove the factory harmonic dampener and will cause long term engine damage, i was, and am still considering one. Sam has one i believe and im gonna wait to see if his engine blows up or not, if i were you i would put it on the back burner.

Everyone on this forum will tell you headers arent worth the time, very minimal gain for lots of $ + lots of work. But i believe they will be a good benefit if you get a supercharger, so purchase those with eachother if thats what you decide.

As for the supercharger, talk to weiboy, he had the stillen one and has loads of problems with it i think. Honestly i would take anything GTM over stillen, stillen has some really nice stuff but imo their supercharger isnt as widely tested as GTM.

Think of getting test pipes or HFCs, they will replace the most restrictive part of your exhaust. and imo, if your gonna track, get coilovers not springs.
Couple questions for ya, do you think the grounding kit makes a difference?

Who seems to make the most reliable oil cooler?
What is the reasoning behind the headers having more "value" in conjunction with a SC?
SC aside, is stillen a pretty solid company?
Can you elaborate on "Think of getting test pipes or HFCs, they will replace the most restrictive part of your exhaust. and imo, if your gonna track, get coilovers not springs." I didnt really understand that.

Thanks in advance, its always nice to have a sounding board to bounce ideas against!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:34 PM
scaglietti

Originally Posted by ipitythefoo
You should get sponsored by stillen hahaha

Oh god would what be nice!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

You should consider starting with your suspension mods and brakes before you do any HP mods. You will benefit from it on the track more than bolt on HP MODS.

Start with sway bars, . I like the EIBACH since they are front adjustable.
Springs or Coilovers, depending on what setup your looking for
Underbraces and strut bar - GT SPEC

Upgrade your brake pads, brake lines and fluids. Stopping is more important on the track than HP.

Most important mod for track: OIL COOLER. 34 row will do the trick
Old 02-10-2011, 09:35 PM
scaglietti

Originally Posted by bschurr
Great plan! Lots of luck & be sure to keep us posted on your progress. If you are gonna track the G you will need an oil cooler too.
Good luck.
Ill make sure to get high-res coverage of the evolution once it begins.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
If you are going with a S/C system, then the Stillen gen 3 is just handing over cash for something that will not apply, they will possibly take the cash too so be careful. But point in case, you can't have both so please don't get the gen 3 if you are serious about forced induction.

Also, if you are tracking a S/C car, get HFCs
Old 02-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Also, Stillen is a great company that has been around for a long time with a great history of producing quality products for Zs and Gs.

With that being said, their S/C has had some issues but have been working to correct them. One of the worst experiences has to be weiboys and a lot can be learned from it so read up on what happened to him. This is one instance though so learn from it but do not make your decision soley based on it.

GTM has had a few issues along the way as well but have now corrected seemingly all of it and are producing a very consistent and powerful set up with their supercharger. As far as turbocharging being an option. I think I speak for everyone on saying: GTM, twins, and DO IT!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:40 PM
dal1307

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree that if you are going FI then don't pay the money for the NA Intake as it will just be wasted. Weiboy had some issues with his Stillen SC (Carb Legal out of the box Stillen Tune) but there are others on this forum and my370z.com, inculding myself who have had a great experience from the Stillen SC kit. That being said, I also think that the GTM kit is a good option. Here is a link on myG37.com to my review of the Stillen kit with custom tune which I have had for a few weeks now (https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...c-install.html) Here is a link to my reivew on my370z.com this is the same review except that it was posted after completion and you won't have to wade through so many off topic posts (Review: MAC Autosport Stillen SC Install on G37s - Nissan 370Z Forum)

I am pretty much on the same track as where you are headed. Brakes and suspension are next for me this summer then a real set of tires. PM me if you want any additional information.

Dave
Old 02-11-2011, 12:00 AM
BiscuitWeasel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Contact Sam@GTM, he can advise you on which direction to go.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:18 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Lou is the man! Always hooks me up with what I need!

Quick Reply: Making a road and track G37! Need advice!