G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Making a road and track G37! Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by scaglietti
Im not entirely sure about which does what. At the risk of sounding lazy, would you mind to give me the simplified summary of the aforementioned? Or point me to a good database to learn for myself?
I'm not sure what exactly you want....

You can just get KW V3s and call it a day for less than 2k, or you can spend 15k and get something really nice.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:04 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, i know just enough to know i know very little. The R8 is my dads and eventually my own, however id never mod that. Its so damn prefect for a daily driver supercar that adding anything would be blasphemy (also S/C it runs around 30k!!!!!). The Vantage was an absolute dog (driving a F430 scuderia beforehand didnt help either) and its what id most liken to what a G37 would track-like.

Im very grateful for everyone offering advice on DD with a G and buy a dedicated track car, however i cant see myself owning two for at least a decade.
Believe it or not you could buy a race preped Spec Miata (which has a full cage and full compliment of safety equipment) for the same money that you will be dumping into a G to make it track worthy.

BTW, My average time at VIR in my 200 whp track car is 2:12 running full track.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Mike

For those that are unaware, VIR has significant elevation change, and tends to favor horsepower over handling/aero.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The grounding kit Will help. It will help with throttle response a bit and smooth out the idle a bit. It is a super difference? No but for 100 bucks you get a minor upgrade and you get a dress up for the engine bay!

Keep us update on this. I'm very interested!

Do you think the grounding cables would help out with a mt6?
I think 60% of the posts on here have included "XYZ bigger oil cooler" so thats going to happen haha!
Thanks for the explanation on the SC+header, that makes perfect sense.
Coils it is!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:25 PM
scaglietti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
I'm not sure what exactly you want....

You can just get KW V3s and call it a day for less than 2k, or you can spend 15k and get something really nice.
Not the actual types of parts available but the actual function of each part (shocks, springs, and bushings)

ie: brakes: Slows down the car by using friction from a brake pad squeezing the roters thusly turning kinetic energy into heat. Additionally, traditional brakes "fade" over time and lose effectiveness during periods of aggressive use (tracking a car); carbon ceramic brakes are an expensive alternative and do not suffer from fading. However, they can be a bit squeeky and therefore annoying for everyday use.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:29 PM
scaglietti

Originally Posted by mikelr
Believe it or not you could buy a race preped Spec Miata (which has a full cage and full compliment of safety equipment) for the same money that you will be dumping into a G to make it track worthy.

BTW, My average time at VIR in my 200 whp track car is 2:12 running full track.
For all 4.2 miles?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:40 PM
mikelr

For all 4.2 miles?
No, that is for the "full course" configuration 3.27 miles.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:55 PM
scaglietti

Originally Posted by mikelr
No, that is for the "full course" configuration 3.27 miles.
Weird, im almost positive the track i ran was 4.2 (I thought it was neat that it matched the displacement of my engine)

Have they done a McDonalds and made an "extra large full course"?
Old 02-11-2011, 09:23 PM
scaglietti

Originally Posted by Steveo47
The grounding kit Will help. It will help with throttle response a bit and smooth out the idle a bit. It is a super difference? No but for 100 bucks you get a minor upgrade and you get a dress up for the engine bay!

Keep us update on this. I'm very interested!
Sounds like a solid upgrade and its very cheap, this could very well be apart of my future car; Thanks!

Ill be sure to keep a solid record of the progress!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Mike

Not the actual types of parts available but the actual function of each part (shocks, springs, and bushings)

ie: brakes: Slows down the car by using friction from a brake pad squeezing the roters thusly turning kinetic energy into heat. Additionally, traditional brakes "fade" over time and lose effectiveness during periods of aggressive use (tracking a car); carbon ceramic brakes are an expensive alternative and do not suffer from fading. However, they can be a bit squeeky and therefore annoying for everyday use.
Shocks - variable spring rate, reduces bounciness, increases grip. Damp as soft as possible without compromising grip (also applies the other way around)

springs - suspends the car and absorbs minor imperfections (e.g. vs a kart) Increase as little as possible without losing speed to raw scrubbing.

bushings - absorbs the 'rubbing' between components. replace with stiffer ones to reduce flex, or better yet replace with monoballs (at high cost and low life)

carbon ceramic brakes fade. The benefit is reduced wear and tear and unsprung weight, not "more braking power and less fade". Never worth the cost unless your budget is unlimited.

I'd invest in some camber arms as well; you're gonna need more camber.

A probe pyrometer to measure hot tire temps (and to determine your tire pressures and camber)

Possibly an oil temp probe.

Grounding kit won't do anything for you. It's a dress-up part.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:10 PM
dal1307

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Just wanted to let the OP and all other posters know that I think this is an excellent thread. We need more like this on myG37. There are a lot of good threads on appearance mods, maintenance etc. as our cars are less sport and more luxury than the 370Z but they also have pretty good potential.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:57 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carbon brakes would be downright dangerous on the street.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:18 AM
Okita240

1st mod should be the oil cooler. Don't forget to set aside a good amount of money for the tires as well. There's no point in spending all these money on the car if you can't use it at the track.

I'm excited to see your progess as I might be doing something similar with my Sedan.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:24 AM
mikelr

Weird, im almost positive the track i ran was 4.2 (I thought it was neat that it matched the displacement of my engine)

Have they done a McDonalds and made an "extra large full course"?
Looks like you did the "Grand East Course" which is 4.2 miles, I don't believe that was available the last time I was there. They seem to have added a connector to one of the infield sections so that it could be included into the "full" course layout, that makes for quite a long track but it looks like you lose the back straight..
Old 02-12-2011, 07:17 AM
usndocgreen

If your going will all that check out Fast Intentions exhaust. I would skip the stillen headers and go with long tube headers and the cat back from Fast Intentions...Great sound and if you S/C you will see more horsepower with the increased flow from the Long tube headers!! Not to mention customer service is the best! They are sponsors on here I would strongly recommend checkin out their stuff. Also, stick with your plan and you'll be happy dont get bit by the TT bug! Bigger budget required=Longer wait!! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Making a road and track G37! Need advice!