G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Making a road and track G37! Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
What times were you running a VIR and Spring Mountain and in what car for each respective time?

I may be able to better point you in the right direction based on that.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:37 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scaglietti
I know what you're saying, if this car was solely for the track id get the Z, no questions. But i want something that will be reasonable for the daily errands and such.
In that case, get an used EVO IX MR. Great car that can do both things quite well, and has those very practical extra two doors. Oh and did I mention that the aftermarket is HUGE and parts are considerably cheaper than those for the G? I mean the G is a great car but it has a tiny trunk, small rear seats, it's heavy and luxurious which is completely unnecessary when you're building a track car.

Get a daily driver G and a dedicated track car. Problem solved.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:59 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive spent a couple days at the Virgina international raceway in the R8 (4.2) and a couple trips to the las vegas speedway in a F430 scuderia, carrera S (997), LP 540-4, and a V8 vantage.
I see... don't take this the wrong way but you are basically at the point after a half dozen trips to the track that even with some natural talent you know just enough to be dangerous.
I take it that since this G is to be your daily driver as well as your track car the list of ponys that you have tracked so far are not your own?
I think the only car that you could ever expect the G to even come close to with mods is the Vantage, another portly GT cruiser. The other vehicles you have experience with are in another class.
Seriously, I think 1NEETO hit it on the head with keeping the G as a street car and get something else that is track dedicated, (MX-5 Miata) is probably the best tool in the box for honing track skill.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:09 PM
scaglietti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
What times were you running a VIR and Spring Mountain and in what car for each respective time?

I may be able to better point you in the right direction based on that.
At VIR i was running 3:15-20 fairly consistently with my best run at 3:12, this was in the R8 and the only car i tracked there.

I think you're mistaken on the track i ran out in NV. This was where i drove the exotic lot, the track was 1.3 miles however i cant find my numbers at the moment.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:12 PM
scaglietti

Originally Posted by 1NEETO
In that case, get an used EVO IX MR. Great car that can do both things quite well, and has those very practical extra two doors. Oh and did I mention that the aftermarket is HUGE and parts are considerably cheaper than those for the G? I mean the G is a great car but it has a tiny trunk, small rear seats, it's heavy and luxurious which is completely unnecessary when you're building a track car.

Get a daily driver G and a dedicated track car. Problem solved.
Haha, later in life im sure ill have two, hopefully an atom! But right now i want to ruin a good car by trying to do it all in one car! I actually have a test drive of the evo in line come spring, but i will say im sold on the looks, and the interior is a bit... cheap.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:18 PM
scaglietti

Originally Posted by mikelr
I see... don't take this the wrong way but you are basically at the point after a half dozen trips to the track that even with some natural talent you know just enough to be dangerous.
I take it that since this G is to be your daily driver as well as your track car the list of ponys that you have tracked so far are not your own?
I think the only car that you could ever expect the G to even come close to with mods is the Vantage, another portly GT cruiser. The other vehicles you have experience with are in another class.
Seriously, I think 1NEETO hit it on the head with keeping the G as a street car and get something else that is track dedicated, (MX-5 Miata) is probably the best tool in the box for honing track skill.
I agree, i know just enough to know i know very little. The R8 is my dads and eventually my own, however id never mod that. Its so damn prefect for a daily driver supercar that adding anything would be blasphemy (also S/C it runs around 30k!!!!!). The Vantage was an absolute dog (driving a F430 scuderia beforehand didnt help either) and its what id most liken to what a G37 would track-like.

Im very grateful for everyone offering advice on DD with a G and buy a dedicated track car, however i cant see myself owning two for at least a decade.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Mike

At VIR i was running 3:15-20 fairly consistently with my best run at 3:12, this was in the R8 and the only car i tracked there.

I think you're mistaken on the track i ran out in NV. This was where i drove the exotic lot, the track was 1.3 miles however i cant find my numbers at the moment.
Was this with or without a chicane in the straight?

Based on the time, I'd say you should probably just get an oil cooler and some good brake pads, and get more seat time. The parts you propose buying would get you a LOT of seat time.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:25 PM
scaglietti

Was this with or without a chicane in the straight?

Based on the time, I'd say you should probably just get an oil cooler and some good brake pads, and get more seat time. The parts you propose buying would get you a LOT of seat time.
Assuming im correct in my terminology and the chicane is the tight grouping of "low angle" turns, it would be with them.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Mike

Assuming im correct in my terminology and the chicane is the tight grouping of "low angle" turns, it would be with them.
It's usually made artificially with cones, if its part of the course, then thats normal.

I'm assuming thats your time for the full course?

Some seat time should get you much much faster.

Also, get some camber arms and possibly replace all the bushings with poly, so you don't completely destroy your tires.

Now why can't more G drivers track....
Old 02-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
For me I really noticed it smoothed out the. 7at an added a bit of throttle response. For 100 bucks you can't go wring. IMO get a GTm oil cooler, they offer a 34 row cooler for the same price a's stillens largest one (26 plate?). Both companies use the same sebab cooler. GTm in this case is a better value. Header have more value if you have a sc because you can get the exhaust out quicker (simple explanation). It does the same in n/a cars but the gains are nowhere been that of a sc. They will give you maybe 5hp in a Na car an maybe 15 or 20 in a supercharger. As for coilovers, I say that because you will hve more room to play (pick dampening and mess with it). I wouldn't trust spring if you track regularly a's they wear they struts. Do it right and get coilovers IMO

Couple questions for ya, do you think the grounding kit makes a difference?

Who seems to make the most reliable oil cooler?
What is the reasoning behind the headers having more "value" in conjunction with a SC?
SC aside, is stillen a pretty solid company?
Can you elaborate on "Think of getting test pipes or HFCs, they will replace the most restrictive part of your exhaust. and imo, if your gonna track, get coilovers not springs." I didnt really understand that.

Thanks in advance, its always nice to have a sounding board to bounce ideas against!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Steveo47

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Whoops forgot about the test pipe part (im on my iPhone) the stock cats are the most restrictive part of your exhaust. So by removing them you get way more flow. I have testpipes and experience no rasp with the stock exhaust. I can't speakfor any other though. High flow cats or testpipes are a great upgrade for sounds and a bit more power up top! I have been test pipes. I do throw a cel but when I get a tune I'm just gonna get then to delete that stupid code
Old 02-11-2011, 05:52 PM
scaglietti

It's usually made artificially with cones, if its part of the course, then thats normal.

I'm assuming thats your time for the full course?

Some seat time should get you much much faster.

Also, get some camber arms and possibly replace all the bushings with poly, so you don't completely destroy your tires.

Now why can't more G drivers track....

Thats my full track time, i was quite pleased with it. There was a 5.2 R8 there the same day and i was only a second behind him all day

Id love to track the R8 more but the tires are far too pricey and traveling adds more mileage ftl =(

Once i get the G ill be sure to look to the pros/geniuses out here for what to do. Speaking of, does anyone have a ballpark figure for a suspension overhaul including installation?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:57 PM
scaglietti

Originally Posted by Steveo47
For me I really noticed it smoothed out the. 7at an added a bit of throttle response. For 100 bucks you can't go wring. IMO get a GTm oil cooler, they offer a 34 row cooler for the same price a's stillens largest one (26 plate?). Both companies use the same sebab cooler. GTm in this case is a better value. Header have more value if you have a sc because you can get the exhaust out quicker (simple explanation). It does the same in n/a cars but the gains are nowhere been that of a sc. They will give you maybe 5hp in a Na car an maybe 15 or 20 in a supercharger. As for coilovers, I say that because you will hve more room to play (pick dampening and mess with it). I wouldn't trust spring if you track regularly a's they wear they struts. Do it right and get coilovers IMO
Do you think the grounding cables would help out with a mt6?
I think 60% of the posts on here have included "XYZ bigger oil cooler" so thats going to happen haha!
Thanks for the explanation on the SC+header, that makes perfect sense.
Coils it is!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Mike

Thats my full track time, i was quite pleased with it. There was a 5.2 R8 there the same day and i was only a second behind him all day

Id love to track the R8 more but the tires are far too pricey and traveling adds more mileage ftl =(

Once i get the G ill be sure to look to the pros/geniuses out here for what to do. Speaking of, does anyone have a ballpark figure for a suspension overhaul including installation?
What kind of suspension are you looking for? Are you looking to replace the shocks, springs, and bushings?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:01 PM
scaglietti

What kind of suspension are you looking for? Are you looking to replace the shocks, springs, and bushings?
Im not entirely sure about which does what. At the risk of sounding lazy, would you mind to give me the simplified summary of the aforementioned? Or point me to a good database to learn for myself?

Quick Reply: Making a road and track G37! Need advice!