Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

from RX8 to G37, question..

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:45 PM
johnnywfg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from RX8 to G37, question..

hiya guys, new here.., just test drove my first G37S tonight an man i gotta say the clutch was almost impossible for me to get smooth., its so night an day, i was telling the salesman the clutch is burned. The engagement came all the way at the top with like no warning..,and the revs are sooo lazy!!
now my 8 is ACT clutch an light flywheel an the engagement comes right when you move your toe.. the revs blip like an indy car, i cant imagine driving the G37 daily like this.., is this normal?.. or did i get an abused car for test drive?..
also, the car did not feel very fast to me.., maybe it wasnt properly warmed up..but it didnt pull all the way through the rpm band., it kinda peetered out way before redline..
please dont think im hating..im not, i want the G.., its beautiful and refined.
o an the clutch was kinda clicky like maybe a bracket went soft..
Old 02-01-2011, 11:52 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
lol

The clutch takes some getting used to. It might even be a deal breaker if you think it's something you can't adjust to. Shifts smooth out if you do it around 3500-4k.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:13 AM
ikon

I came from a Speed3 so my initial experiences were a little similar to yours though the clutch engagement point on my '08 G37s seems low by comparison to my speed3. The 'clicky' feeling is because the clutch is spring loaded to assist you. "The revs are so lazy", this I can completely agree with, when I touched the gas on my speed3 the car responded instantly, the G37 is drive-by-wire but so is your rx8 but the G just lags when you press the gas. The speed3 has direct throttle linkage and a dual-mass flywheel and was very responsive so I was quite surprised when I drove the G that the car didn't seem to go anywhere when I pressed the gas, but all is good now.

I've only had my G for 9 days but I'm pretty used to driving it already and I get more in tune with what the car is doing everyday, I love this car.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:03 AM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You know what they say, its usually the driver not the car. I'm sure you will get accustomed to it...and love it!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:30 AM
johnnywfg

haha, thanks for the responses guys, im still getting it.. i was just very surprised.. and it wasnt my actual G i was driving..it was one with lots more miles on it., mines being shipped an gets here tomorrow, Amethyst Plat S, no navi with the poo stone interior lol
i didnt deal break anything because i think ill get used to it., been driving stick for 17 years now..O an i hear the car responds beautifully to exhaust/CAI mod
and as much as people hate all over the rx8.. the drivetrain/clutch/steering is really phenomenal..an yet to feel something better.. after test driving the C6, cayman,370Z, G37S.. 50 more horsies on the 8 an it would have been legend an not fail.
o an the cayman isnt bad i jus didnt fit in it....
and.... what happens if i pop off that clutch spring????
Old 02-02-2011, 07:34 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our clutches grab high...normal for the car. I prefer a much lower engagement point.

I had to smile when you said the car didn't feel fast to you, considering that you're coming from an RX-8. Those cars have like zero torque, so they feel REALLY slow in my opinion. By comparison, the G37 should feel like a rocket to you.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:40 AM
4drScreamer

So what did you think about the 370Z in comparison? Obviously you've ordered the G, but did you have the same issues with the Z? It would be interesting because so much of the drive train in the Z is the same as the G.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:37 AM
s2ktoEvo

The 7 speed AT is faster than the S. Something to consider.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Fentress24

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I came from at SRT-4 to the G and when I first got the car I loved everything about it but the clutch engagement point. Have gotten use to it, but I am def considering the mod to lower the engaugement point. But I've gotta say, the more I drive the G the more I love it. Doesn't resond to mods like the srt did, but I love the RWD
Old 02-02-2011, 10:50 AM
nethole
Registered Member

I read about the manual behavior before I bought the car. And I got the automatic instead.

Sport shifter paddles are now my friends. So long stick . . . . Soon to be a relic like '8-tracks'.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Mysticalism

Originally Posted by s2ktoEvo
The 7 speed AT is faster than the S. Something to consider.
thats why reason why i got my 7AT

and also yeah, the stick for the g37 is a little weird... you'll get use to it, but for me, i choose the lazy way out... paddles
Old 02-02-2011, 11:26 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by nethole
So long stick . . . . Soon to be a relic like '8-tracks'.
Won't happen in our lifetime. Too many people out there who actually like to drive their cars, rather than play with paddles. Contrary to popular belief, there are still lots of cars available with manual transmissions.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:57 PM
TL37

the clutch for the g37 is a bit difficult to adjust at the beginning but once you got used to it, it's just like reg cars.. power wise..much better than the RX8 for sure.. welcome to the club!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:19 PM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mysticalism

and also yeah, the stick for the g37 is a little weird... you'll get use to it, but for me, i choose the lazy way out... paddles
I wouldn't call one tenth of a second faster. I'd call it a driver's race. If I'm not mistaken the 6MT is faster too 100 and beyond because of gearing, but I digress...

6MT FTW! You'll get used to the clutch. I've driven the RX-8 and IMO they're dogs. Low 15's in the 1/4 and torque is nowhere to be found.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:49 PM
The Jewbag

Originally Posted by Mysticalism

Yes, because that .01 of a second is going to make a difference 99.99% of the time.

Quick Reply: from RX8 to G37, question..