G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

from RX8 to G37, question..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^ exactly the reason why I passed up on a 2011 RX8 sport and went with an used 08 G. The 8 was a blast to drive but as a daily driver it would be quite painful. Especially the lack of low end torque. The driving, exhaust note and overall feel of the car is awesome, it wasn't an easy decision but daily drivability and amenities/luxuries/refinementwon my heart that day.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:24 AM
roots4x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
As awesome as the GT-R is, just think how much more awesome it would be with an actual 6-speed manual transmission. It's a shame they don't offer it that way.
What is it about operating a clutch and a gear selector that makes people so crazy? In every conceivable way, a DCT is far superior to a conventional manual transmission.

I hate torque converters, which is why I have a 6mt, but if the g was available with a DCT I definitely would have purchased that.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:34 AM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by roots4x
What is it about operating a clutch and a gear selector that makes people so crazy? In every conceivable way, a DCT is far superior to a conventional manual transmission.

I hate torque converters, which is why I have a 6mt, but if the g was available with a DCT I definitely would have purchased that.
One simple 3 letter word: FUN

DCT's are great and all but at the end of the day it is still an automatic that shifts very fast and has launch control.

And in some cases the good ol manual is stronger than DCT's. Case in point the EVO MR DCT can't handle as much power as the manual.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:31 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roots4x

If you have to ask, you probably should be driving an automatic.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:54 AM
pharmade

I came from an 04 RX8 with RacingBeat catback and full RacingBeat CAI. There's nothing like a Wankel. It was a very fun car to drive. Always put a smile on my face. Unfortunately, it was torque-less. Always had to keep the revs up, but handled like a go kart. I have not regretted getting the G37S (Injen CAI and Tanabe exhaust) and you get used to the clutch. It's quicker and more luxurious. It's a great car. That being said, I am going to trade mine in for a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee for a totally new experience and drive. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
As awesome as the GT-R is, just think how much more awesome it would be with an actual 6-speed manual transmission. It's a shame they don't offer it that way.
It wouldn't be, because then they'd need to include a 2-step from the factory to have a chance at the same acceleration figures, and that just flat out invites abuse.

Same reason a PDK/Automatic Carrera Turbo is faster than a real MT.

I'd still buy a MT any day.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Mike

Originally Posted by 1NEETO
One simple 3 letter word: FUN

DCT's are great and all but at the end of the day it is still an automatic that shifts very fast and has launch control.

And in some cases the good ol manual is stronger than DCT's. Case in point the EVO MR DCT can't handle as much power as the manual.
To add to this, the EVO MR gets confused if you manage to slide/get sideways or lose traction on multiple wheels. Big nono. It just flat out cuts power.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:05 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike
It wouldn't be, because then they'd need to include a 2-step from the factory to have a chance at the same acceleration figures, and that just flat out invites abuse.

Same reason a PDK/Automatic Carrera Turbo is faster than a real MT.

I'd still buy a MT any day.
I'm not talking about absolute speed, I'm talking about how awesome it would be to drive the GT-R with a manual trans. Let me put it this way---years ago I had a friend who built up a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4. Remember those cars? They were 6-cylinder, twin-turbo, AWD vehicles that were available with a manual transmission. My buddy's car was estimated to be putting out about 600 crank HP. His car was incredibly fun to drive. That's what I imagine a GT-R would be like with a manual transmission.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Mike

I'm not talking about absolute speed, I'm talking about how awesome it would be to drive the GT-R with a manual trans. Let me put it this way---years ago I had a friend who built up a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4. Remember those cars? They were 6-cylinder, twin-turbo, AWD vehicles that were available with a manual transmission. My buddy's car was estimated to be putting out about 600 crank HP. His car was incredibly fun to drive. That's what I imagine a GT-R would be like with a manual transmission.
I sure do. I owned one

One of the best and at the same time, worst cars I've ever owned.

I wish more cars were offered in a MT only like the VR-4, but quite frankly, offering a MT makes much more sense from a business standpoint, and the manufacturers are ultimately in business to make money.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Nick3753

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At the end of the day that GTR is all about the big numbers (or small depending on how you look at it) that it puts up for far less dollar than the competition. There is no way a manual GTR would be able to run a 0-60 less than 3 sec with a MT unless no shift was required. I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun to have it as a manual, but I believe a manual option would go away from the goals of the car, or at least my assumption of what those are as stated above.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:39 PM
NYCMaxima

I agree with Nick37 when Nissan built the GT-R, they were tryin to build a car that was fast because of the advanced technology that it comes with. A manual trans in that car would take away from all the other components of the car that work together to get it up to 60 mph in 3 seconds.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:39 AM
johnnywfg

This is crazy but to sum up.., the G they delivered me was abused by a dumsh&t driver and i was pissed.., key marks, curb marks all over the rims, and a whirring sound coming from the drivetrain..i basically said get this to your mechanic an walked.. like the very same day i gota call about a C6 that was sunday driven and babied with 8k miles with an unbeatable sticker an 3 hours away from me.. i pulled the trigger an took a road trip., cause i knew it wouldnt last..
I loved the C6 ergonomically,performance,ride is actually very smooth and gets 30mpg on the highway.. i jus wasnt finding any with good sticker/mileage until this one..
-- and to follow up, i did get used to the G clutch, i drove a few different ones a few more times and got it down driving slowly.. driving fast i still sucked., but yes its all just getting used to it. and about the Z, yep, identical clutch an everything jus lighter vehicle., i really jus didnt like the Z, i felt very cramped., found myself kept trying to move the seat back an couldnt.. the G kills it by a landslide.. im also almost 6'2 though
also the Genesis was kinda surprising.. if i was on budget id get it for sure. and take of all the badging lol
yes im gona miss the refined beauty and creature comforts of the G.., but i couldnt pass up the C6 deal..
and you guys on this forum seem pretty cool =)
Old 02-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Mike

Can't go wrong with a C6.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:30 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick3753
At the end of the day that GTR is all about the big numbers (or small depending on how you look at it) that it puts up for far less dollar than the competition. There is no way a manual GTR would be able to run a 0-60 less than 3 sec with a MT unless no shift was required. I'm not saying it wouldn't be fun to have it as a manual, but I believe a manual option would go away from the goals of the car, or at least my assumption of what those are as stated above.
Of course it could run 0-60 in under 3 seconds with a manual transmission. Have you ever heard of powershifting? And depending upon how it was geared, a manual tranmission GT-R could potentially hit 60 MPH in first gear. It would probably need to be shifted into second gear, but it would probably come very close to 60 mph by the time it hit redline in first gear.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Nick3753

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Of course it could run 0-60 in under 3 seconds with a manual transmission. Have you ever heard of powershifting? And depending upon how it was geared, a manual tranmission GT-R could potentially hit 60 MPH in first gear. It would probably need to be shifted into second gear, but it would probably come very close to 60 mph by the time it hit redline in first gear.
Yes, that is correct, possibly (in my original statement I said similar). However it seemed their marketing was also about the cars lap times at the "Ring", which would be slower with a manual. But I think this thread is getting off topic too. Sorry.

Quick Reply: from RX8 to G37, question..