G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

from RX8 to G37, question..

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:12 PM
RedlineAZ

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
My Z took a while to get used to, I thought the clutch was picky, but I love the rev matching in the new 370z. Not sure if the 6mt G37 has it but that was such an awesome feature to me. I will have to drive the G37 6mt again and see how it feels. It might be because your used to a lightened fly wheel that the G feels less responsive. I'm sure you will get over that feeling quickly lol
Old 02-03-2011, 12:04 AM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ikon
I came from a Speed3 so my initial experiences were a little similar to yours though the clutch engagement point on my '08 G37s seems low by comparison to my speed3. The 'clicky' feeling is because the clutch is spring loaded to assist you. "The revs are so lazy", this I can completely agree with, when I touched the gas on my speed3 the car responded instantly, the G37 is drive-by-wire but so is your rx8 but the G just lags when you press the gas. The speed3 has direct throttle linkage and a dual-mass flywheel and was very responsive so I was quite surprised when I drove the G that the car didn't seem to go anywhere when I pressed the gas, but all is good now.

I've only had my G for 9 days but I'm pretty used to driving it already and I get more in tune with what the car is doing everyday, I love this car.
Direct throttle linkage on the speed3? I had a speed6 before the G and it was fly by wire. It's the fly by wire the reason why the 2.3 DISI falls on its face after 6 grand. The ECU closes the throttle to 40%. That would notbhappen if it had a direct linkage.

But comparing it to the G I do remember my speed6 having much better throttle response. Time to uprev.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:26 AM
Nick3753

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedlineAZ
My Z took a while to get used to, I thought the clutch was picky, but I love the rev matching in the new 370z. Not sure if the 6mt G37 has it but that was such an awesome feature to me. I will have to drive the G37 6mt again and see how it feels. It might be because your used to a lightened fly wheel that the G feels less responsive. I'm sure you will get over that feeling quickly lol
No rev matching on G. Not sure why they didn't offer it.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:15 AM
SpartanG37S

Originally Posted by Nick3753
No rev matching on G. Not sure why they didn't offer it.
Because Nissan/Infiniti knows that all G37 6MT drivers know how to rev match

In all seriousness, I've been rev matching for years, so it's muscle memory for me. I was taught to drive that way, so such is life for me and my driving habits.

I would like to test drive a 370Z with that feature to see how useful it is compared to me doing it on my own.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Nick3753

Perhaps they felt the z is more of a track oriented car and with its pricepoint maybe thought of as a track car for more inexperienced drivers, thus rev matching might be more useful in that situation, allowing the driver to focus more on braking and steering.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:32 AM
DPE G

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by nethole
I read about the manual behavior before I bought the car. And I got the automatic instead.

Sport shifter paddles are now my friends. So long stick . . . . Soon to be a relic like '8-tracks'.
You can't really "drive" a car with only two pedals, and paddle shifters should be left for x-box games. 6mt is where its at!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:33 AM
nethole
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R34 Eclipse
You can't really "drive" a car with only two pedals, and paddle shifters should be left for x-box games. 6mt is where its at!
Indy cars and F1 would beg to differ.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:52 AM
SpartanG37S

I've never been big on automatics in Sporty cars anyway. The 7AT G feels like a different car. It's not as engaging. It's like the car is taking away all of the fun.

If the gearbox was even remotely similar to the GT-R, then that would be a different story. The flappy paddle gear changes in the 7AT are too slow for me. At the end of the day, it's still a slushbox, for now.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:36 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by SpartanG37S
I've never been big on automatics in Sporty cars anyway. The 7AT G feels like a different car. It's not as engaging. It's like the car is taking away all of the fun.

If the gearbox was even remotely similar to the GT-R, then that would be a different story. The flappy paddle gear changes in the 7AT are too slow for me. At the end of the day, it's still a slushbox, for now.
As awesome as the GT-R is, just think how much more awesome it would be with an actual 6-speed manual transmission. It's a shame they don't offer it that way.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:59 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
lol @ this thread.
as it turns out - 6mt drivers vs 7at drivers

on a serious note: i couldn't agree with you more op. rev matching becomes difficult at times when blipping the throttle at low speeds doesn't blip the throttle...
the injen cold airs helped with the responsiveness of the car, but more so in the higher rpms when you step on it. UpRev gets rid of that lag though. I was more so under the impression that it was Infiniti's "swell" programming. The clutch/flywheel combo makes more sense though. Wonder why I never thought of that before? Hm...I'm an amateur -_-. First manual car by the way. Took forever to learn to drive correctly/smoothly. If I can do it, you can do it x100000! Good luck! Enjoy your car!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 03:08 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Yea hard car to drive smoothly, but the 6mt is hella fun.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:39 PM
sick6speed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does the rev-match work? Does a light come on to tell you when to shift or something?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:44 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sick6speed
How does the rev-match work? Does a light come on to tell you when to shift or something?
On the 370Z? Just downshift and the ECU will rev-match for you. It can be turned off though.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Alex57r

Mazda makes great gearboxes. The G37 clutch definitely takes getting used to, but after 3 test drives I decided to go auto. The 7AT is a very good transmission.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:55 PM
htownboy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnywfg
hiya guys, new here.., just test drove my first G37S tonight an man i gotta say the clutch was almost impossible for me to get smooth., its so night an day, i was telling the salesman the clutch is burned. The engagement came all the way at the top with like no warning..,and the revs are sooo lazy!!
now my 8 is ACT clutch an light flywheel an the engagement comes right when you move your toe.. the revs blip like an indy car, i cant imagine driving the G37 daily like this.., is this normal?.. or did i get an abused car for test drive?..
also, the car did not feel very fast to me.., maybe it wasnt properly warmed up..but it didnt pull all the way through the rpm band., it kinda peetered out way before redline..
please dont think im hating..im not, i want the G.., its beautiful and refined.
o an the clutch was kinda clicky like maybe a bracket went soft..
Yeah, the shifting takes some getting used to... And as far as the G feeling slower, I agree because driving my friends RX8 feels fun and really quick in the car, but considering how bad I smoke him, it's only just the feeling. The G is pretty heavy and very quiet so you don't get the same sensations driving (but the G is much faster on the road). The 370Z feels more like the RX8 when driving, just with tons more torque feeling. You can flash the ecm to get that quick rev feeling and there are lots of other mods if you want to go that route.
With the rotary your limited if your going to keep it as a daily driver... Been there, done that.

Quick Reply: from RX8 to G37, question..