Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

6MT only: Leaving your car running

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:43 AM
infamousstunna1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScottyBeGood
even if you break all the keys and remove the batteries... just in case you were thinking of that one.
Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Maybe that's why our clutch has such a high learning curve w/ the engage point.

They might stall it and be ****ed. lol.
Originally Posted by alexdee
Thats so if your girlfriend pulls a Rihanna and throws your keys out the window you wont have to be mad at her at hit her! Your car will still run. Props to Infiniti.
lmao!
Originally Posted by evilpanda
car makers should do something about this issue. IMO even if you lock your car, thiefs can just break your window to open the door and drive away with your car even without the key.

They should develop a system that if the key is nowhere to be found within a certain range and someone steps on the brake the car will automatically shut off.
+1. I agree.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:51 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyBeGood
You can still start the car, then lock all the doors and leave the key with you. That's what I do.
lol!!!

Originally Posted by Fezzik
I can see if the battery died in the remote, but they need something to stop the car.. Maybe if the car starts moving without the key have a beeping and 30 second warning that the car will shut down unless key is brought back into range.
totally agreed. would be a pretty awesome safety feature. but of course, it works both ways.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:28 AM
htownboy
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fezzik
That sucks. I thought i'd be able to keep it running. Why in the world did they allow that? The car beeps at me when the key is gone from the car. Well, So much for starting her up and letting her warm up before I leave work.
So what are you worrying about? You can do what you want so I don;t get what the problem is. I start the G every cold morning, lock door and walk back inside with key in pocket. gather things then leave in a warmed up car.
Someday I'll get the safe remote start for 6MT but I have other priorities right now. The remote start is sweet for this.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:32 AM
DmfG37sTT

Has no one actually tried this? I left my keys at my house and went to drive up to the gas station and my car started going into limp mode (before I was boosted) and wouldnt allow the car to go above 2k rpm's. Had to have my girl run the keys to me so I could get to the gas station. Im not sure if was just a freak accident it did this but it made me feel safe that if my car was to be stolen that they wouldnt get very far! lol.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:42 PM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evilpanda
car makers should do something about this issue. IMO even if you lock your car, thiefs can just break your window to open the door and drive away with your car even without the key.

They should develop a system that if the key is nowhere to be found within a certain range and someone steps on the brake the car will automatically shut off.
Or you could turn the car off and lock the doors...why would you leave your car running and walk far enough away from it where someone could do that?
Old 01-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
Has no one actually tried this? I left my keys at my house and went to drive up to the gas station and my car started going into limp mode (before I was boosted) and wouldnt allow the car to go above 2k rpm's. Had to have my girl run the keys to me so I could get to the gas station. Im not sure if was just a freak accident it did this but it made me feel safe that if my car was to be stolen that they wouldnt get very far! lol.

That's intresting. Maybe there is something. Wont know until someone tries it out.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:34 PM
smashhell

Hmmmm ... never knew this.
A big security risk imo.
People can just drive off in our car without the key is pretty darn dumb. =/
Old 01-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Devildog37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So, I just tried this: I started my car with key in pocket. Then I walked about 50ft inside my house and dropped my key on the counter. Then I went back out and drove the car around the block and everything was perfectly fine, just the 'No Key' and caution lights were lit up.

So, we can leave our keys at home when we go somewhere and as long as we don't lock or turn off the car, we can drive it away. Kind of defeats the purpose of the 'No Key' thing, doesn't it?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:06 PM
oreoleo

Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
Did the car start bucking if you gave it gas or tried to increase rpms slowly?
I'm having this weird issue and I have my keys on me though. key battery light is on though.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:23 PM
ricbel
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Maybe that's why our clutch has such a high learning curve w/ the engage point.

They might stall it and be ****ed. lol.
I hoping on this to. They would be trying to make a quick getaway and this clutch is not afraid to embarrass you.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:00 PM
roots4x

There are a lot of things that aren't really possible with a manual transmission simply because of a lack of a "P" and such.

If you are really worried so much LOCK THE DOORS before you leave or turn off the engine. Honestly, turning the car off and on right away isn't that bad for the car as the engine is still mostly lubricated and at operating temperature. It's also a waste of gas. Even so, if you're that worried, why not just lock your doors?

Also, how does the 7AT handle this situation? Does it simply have a shift lock? If that's the case, I think the answer is obvious as to why it won't work with our cars.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 PM
akochman

I am pretty sure that you can just hop in the car and drive away even w/ the 7AT... I had tried it w/ my 5AT before and i was able to drive away but haven't tried it in the new one... As was suggested above, lock your doors
Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 PM
roots4x

Originally Posted by akochman
I am pretty sure that you can just hop in the car and drive away even w/ the 7AT... I had tried it w/ my 5AT before and i was able to drive away but haven't tried it in the new one... As was suggested above, lock your doors
Yup, same with my V35 07 coupe AT I'm pretty sure.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:55 AM
carz

the car will not shut off on its own........absolutely not. I have tried it...driven a mile away and back without my key.

you can leave the car running and lock the car, however if someone breaks the glass and gets in, they can drive off with the car. there is no shift lock if the key isnt present.