Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37s in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 12:22 PM
farmurr

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by stephsG37
yea yea...i didn't feel like buying just winter tires cuz my stock summers were done and i don't know how long i'm going to keep the car (might trade) so wasn't worth buying only winter tires for now...thought the all-seasons would at least help a little over the summer performance bridgestones.... guess if nothing else i can advise that if you live in a snowy area, don't expect to buy all-seasons and be ok
I understand not wanting to spend $ if you might be getting rid of the car soon...but you could always sell them with the car, or separately to a forum member afterwards.

And as a rule of thumb, all-season tires = no season tires. Less desirable performance in both winter and summer conditions.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 PM
ondatrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I try to tell people that there is no such thing as all season tires,just get summer and mount winter on other rims.Plus when all seasons are used for awhile they are less effective for winter traction anyways.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:41 PM
pgviper

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by farmurr
and as a rule of thumb, all-season tires = no season tires

:
truth!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:10 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I drove my camaro with winter tires shortly after the blizzard of 2011 here in chicago (when LSD was shut down). Streets still had lots of snow and deep ruts. Had some wheel spin, but had was mostly in control. Had no fears of getting stuck or the back end trying to out run the front. This was with some sh!tty dunflop cheapy tires.

Granted we haven't had much snow this year, and only one real snow last year that I had to drive in. No issues with the G there. Was able to take off in 1st each time with no drama. Michelin xice2 225/50/18 on all 4 corners.

I learned to drive on a early 80's caprice rwd. We didn't have snow/winter tires back then
Old 02-05-2013, 04:43 PM
1scG37s
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
i've been in lots of RWD with a good set of snow tires ( GS 460) (350z).. as much as it's fun.. i'll ensure the keys stay hung on my wall and my bus pass is in my pocket when its snowing.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:54 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Why did you speed on a back road with Ice? no car would save you! you just got lucky!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:29 AM
Gwiz2500

I have an S 2wd. Yes AWD will be better in the snow, but I've never gotten stuck in the snow and we get lots of snow around here....
Old 02-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
I got stuck in my driveway last night... 6MT, RWD Sedan w/Blizzaks. Took me over an hour of shoveling and coaxing to back down the driveway and get another run of it. Believe me when I claim anxiety as the car started sliding sideways towards the house.

What I had going against me was 12" of very heavy, wet snow. Snow tires designed more for street performance than snow & ice, a significant incline in my driveway, and RWD.

What I had going *for* me was snow tires, a limited slip differential, and 30 years experience driving in snow.

So even though it was stressful, for a situation that occurs only 2 or 3 times a year, I could care less about AWD.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 AM
atombomb33
Registered Member

I have the sedan S 6MT with Michelin X-Ice winter tires. I drove home last night around 5pm and we already had 6-8" on the ground. The roads were covered and not plowed particularly well. I made it home without getting stuck once. My rear tires spun a few times here and there getting going from a stop, but that was when I was on a steep incline. Overall, my G did very well in some nasty weather yesterday and I owe it all to the snow tires on the car. And, like Rochester above me, I guess it helps that I'm 36 and grew up driving in the snow since I was 16 - so I've been through this many many times.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Nothin2Somethin

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Yea, I just had to shovel out of about 6" of snow, got stuck halfway up my block... All in all made it out to the main roads which are plowed. Didnt help that I have an "S" coupe on an h+r drop, lmao. Its all good though.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:20 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Rochester, which snow tires you running? What size?

If there was 12" of snow on the ground, I doubt i'd even go out. Even with stock suspension, car sits so low that 4-5" is probably sufficient to cause issues - pushing the snow rather than driving over it. Back in the old days, I used to keep a shovel in my camaro during winter, just in case Last winter with the xice2 (225/50) I had issues in deep ruts, other than that things were ok.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Stay Frosty

I had a nightmare last night.

Took me 5 and a half hours to travel 25 miles home from work.

I left work early @ 3:00 to avoid the blizzard. Apparently that wasn't early enough because it started coming down hard. All the news reports were like "don't worry we're not getting hit until 8PM". Yeah right...

I ended up turning off the traction control because I find it very difficult to deal with in a manual car. Keeps almost stalling the engine. I'd rather deal with the fishtailing.

So I was actually doing pretty well on the expressway because traffic was actually moving, albeit slow. That didn't last though. Just my luck that traffic comes to a complete stop on an inclined section of the expressway. At this point the whole entire expressway was covered in snow and slush.

So I put it in third, give it the least amount of throttle I possible can, and start fishtailing towards the shoulder. I couldn't move at all. I completely blocked the right lane on a super busy expressway. Everyone is honking at me, and I'm afraid to do anything because the car is sliding all over. After many attempts I slid sideways over to the shoulder.

It was hopeless. Had to call a tow to get me out of there. He dropped me off at a gas station and I was fishtailing all over the gas station parking lot too.

It took me about an hour to get gas and to get out of the gas station parking lot because I got stuck there too!

I hopped onto a non-busy side street which thankfully was mostly slush. Had my flashers on and was driving 10 mph since anything over that made the rear end unstable.

Got stuck once more, but eventually made it on the highway towards my house and got home.

Yes, I have summer tires, and yes, they are absolutely horrendous in the snow.

Never again...
Old 02-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Deemancpa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just saw CNN reporting on nassau county NY, there was a guy digging his G out of the snow......are you here? lol
Old 02-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Stay Frosty

Originally Posted by Deemancpa
Just saw CNN reporting on nassau county NY, there was a guy digging his G out of the snow......are you here? lol
heh, I actually live in Nassau County NY. But I'm not touching my car this weekend. I had enough.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Rochester, which snow tires you running? What size?

If there was 12" of snow on the ground, I doubt i'd even go out. Even with stock suspension, car sits so low that 4-5" is probably sufficient to cause issues - pushing the snow rather than driving over it. Back in the old days, I used to keep a shovel in my camaro during winter, just in case Last winter with the xice2 (225/50) I had issues in deep ruts, other than that things were ok.
Blizzak LM-60, in OEM size on the OEM 18" duckfeet.

They're a "high-performance" snow tire, unlike the WS-70, which is a "snow & ice" tire. They clearly are not intended for more than an inch or two of accumulation. They replaced the old LM-20 model, which people used to really complain about.

In years past, on previous cars, I always ran the WS model Blizzaks, and they made my cars unstoppable on snow. Sadly, they couldn't be bought for the size of the staggered rims on the RWD Sport Sedan.

Quick Reply: G37s in the snow?