Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thinking of selling my Carrera TT and going to G37 - any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:29 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
The question wasn't whether or not he is trading down. That is obvious. The question is regarding the driving dynamics of the G. He is looking for feedback on whether or not he would feel like he is driving a vehicle with conservative (Camryish) driving dynamics or a car with some "soul" like the Z. The car will have a personality more like a Z than a Camry.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:11 PM
bluesun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the G37 coupe makes a great daily driver. It's fast enough in a straight line to be ok, and if you get the summer tires it's pretty fast in the curves. I know when your young you dream of a super car and going super duper fast every where all the time. However, as you have track experience, you know, once you have been on the track street driving a super car is a little boring. Add in the stiff clutch it becomes pain full. Add in the parking hassles and it becomes a pain in the a$$. In addition, I actually think driving a slower car on the street is more fun (except at red lights) as you actually have to work to make the car go fast. Let's say full throttle is fun. How many seconds of full throttle fun can you have on the street? Slower cars let you wind up the engine, instead of 2 seconds of throttle and then coasting to the next light. Plus in a super car any where near the limit you are a menace and going to cause a big wreck if you go over the limit. I was just driving through the mountains, limit was 55, corner signs where 30, and most cars would hit 45. I kept it at 55-60 in my g37s coupe. Only thing more fun would have been something lighter.

As for the daily driver part, I found certain German cars to be too complicated to do simple things, like adjust the radio. Nothing more annoying then not being able to adjust the climate control or simple stuff. The G has all the controls well thought out and simple to use. The A/C works great. The sports seats are too small, but that depends on your size. The worst part of the car (in my opinion) is the 7AT does not like to downshift smoothly. A lot of new transmissions seem to report similar things and it's not that big of a deal.

The other wonderful thing about the G as a daily driver as you can thrash it and who cares. Beat on it, drive it down a dirt road, park it wherever you go. Not going to do that with an R8.

I was in a similar situation a while back. I still have my exotic in the garage but was trying to update my stick shift daily driver with a car with key less entry, blue tooth, Nav, and automatic. Wanted the S5 but despite the fact I though it looked better, no way was it worth 50-100% more. Compare lease cost to see how bad depreciation is going to kill you. Wasn't impressed with the 335 either. My big fear with my next change is that the car systems (the parts you touch every day) will be annoying and not just get the job done. Good Luck!
Old 01-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Many years ago, I replaced a 800+ HP Hemi GTX with a 150HP 240Z. Both were fun in their own way, glad I did it.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:11 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob
Many years ago, I replaced a 800+ HP Hemi GTX with a 150HP 240Z. Both were fun in their own way, glad I did it.
I couldn't read through this entire thread because it's silly, so I just read the first and last page.

But I have to say that I agree with you. I can find fun in just about any car as long as it has some combination of handling and power. And if it's a manual transmission, it can even be somewhat low on power and it can still be fun.

In fact, a car with 500+ HP may seem like it would be a lot of fun, but on the street you just can't use that kind of power for more than a few seconds before you're way beyond legal speed limits. With a less powerful car, you can really work the engine much longer before you find yourself at triple digit speeds.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Lime37

if i were in your shoes i would get a 335i and if its not fast enough you can always mess with the ecu (i belife the latest program is called a juice box 3) and get some nice number outta it =)
Old 11-09-2011, 09:06 AM
RiA

UPDATE: I sold my P-Car and purchased an '07 M35 Blk/Blk Journey with Tech and Advanced Technology package w/30k miles.

I'm very pleased with the comfort and performance thus far - this car has a lot of nice ammenities making my commute much more pleasurable.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:53 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats! M's are very nice cars.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:30 PM
LarryG

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
KEEP THE PORSCHE... IF YOU REALLY WANT A G, WAIT TILL THE NEW MODEL COMES OUT.. It's already been five years .. It is due for a change.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:04 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TommysG37
Are you for real??

Richie Rich, man you are annoying with your "show boatn' your wealth", keep the TT buy the G and get lost. Just another toy to play with, like me. But I do not brag.

Tommy
It is kind of weird that a guy comes on here on Jan 2011 talking about wanting to know more about buying the G, and of course mentioning other his cars and house stuff but never checks out other posts after that.
Then over 9 months later comes back to tell us what he decided...
Seems like someone that really wanted to know more would have checked out more posts over the last 9 months.
Something just doesn't add up...
Old 11-09-2011, 09:40 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's with the hate? He was researching and at the end of the day he did let go of the p car for an Infiniti. You all acting like a bunch of envious children.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:09 PM
patrick2
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The M is a nice car, much different than the G
Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 PM
RiA

Originally Posted by 1NEETO
What's with the hate? He was researching and at the end of the day he did let go of the p car for an Infiniti. You all acting like a bunch of envious children.
Thanks. I really like the M35. It has lots of nice accessories that make my commute comfortable.

We have an '06 FX and now an '07 M35 - enjoying both.

Looking forward to learning more about how to enjoy these vehicles.

Cheers
Old 11-09-2011, 11:30 PM
dmeng

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same dilemma as you back in July and ended up keeping my Cayman S and getting a IPL as my daily driver with no regrets!
However if you only want one car, then I suggest you go test drive the Panamera S Hybrid! Great technology and pretty close to the same class as your TT.

Then again if your trying to save some money, I wouldn't go that route either because it would set you back around $95 - $110k depending on options
Old 11-09-2011, 11:55 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1NEETO
No hate here....just pointed out it's kind of a weird way to go about it if a person was trying to find information.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:37 AM
1SiCkG
Banned

Originally Posted by tommysg37
are you for real??

Richie rich, man you are annoying with your "show boatn' your wealth", keep the tt buy the g and get lost. Just another toy to play with, like me. But i do not brag.

Tommy
wow... I was reading this thread and came to the conclusion that your a straight up jerk off.... The guy was askin a normal question, just u had to go and give a jerk off answer... Congrads on bein a jerk off

and op congrads on the m ...

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my Carrera TT and going to G37 - any thoughts