Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thinking of selling my Carrera TT and going to G37 - any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 02:00 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1NEETO
Having a fast car that responds very well to mods and not modding it is like having Beyonce next to you in bed every night and only do her missionary style.
LOL, I think the more accurate analogy would be having her next to you and NOT doing her at all. Beyonce missionary only is still a win in my book.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:05 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OP stated he like the interior and exterior of the G and that he is interested to hear your G driving experience / opinion. I don't understand why people keep suggesting him to get this car, get that other car, etc.

OP, like you, I like both the exterior and interior of the G. Beautiful curve outside. Inside is intuitive and simple to use, not over loaded with buttons. It has enough power when I need it. And yes, I drive it in NYC traffic and I love it! The wife enjoy driving it too. The only thing I don't like it is the lag in certain condition. But this is fixed with TSB ITB10-075. I just need to reset the ECU once a while. Refer to the "7speed transmission reprogram" thread for more information: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...reprogram.html

Whatever car you get next, enjoy!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:02 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BuzzLY37
OP, if your commute to work involves long drives and pretty bad traffic, you could also consider better fuel economy cars such as hybrids. I have a buddy that commutes downtown to work everyday in bad traffic and his wallet suffers from the gas prices now days. G is a blast to drive and the seats are comfortable, but not very economical if fuel economy is one of your determinants.

I love my G but I wouldn't let it sit in traffic everyday. Some members here do it because it's their daily drivers, but I personally can't afford the fuel cost lol.

Hope this helps, my $0.02
Daily driveability is where this car shines the most. Yeah not the greatest in fuel consumption, but if you bought a car with a V6 that makes 330 hp and can't afford the fuel then perhaps you should have thought of that before you bought it. I have yet to sit in traffic with this car because I work nights but if there's a car I wouldn't mind being stuck in traffic with is my G.
Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
LOL, I think the more accurate analogy would be having her next to you and NOT doing her at all. Beyonce missionary only is still a win in my book.
I think my analogy is correct since missionary is still fun, but you're still not exploring her true potential.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Buckeye G

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You will love the G for your commute. I love mine and its great for my commute. Mines a 5AT. The Audi has great styling interior and exterior but low power. The BMW looks great but I hate there interior. Just drive them. I suggest you do it all in the same day so its all fresh. You can mod the G for a fairly cheap compared to the 911 and get it a little more out of it. If ya have any questions let us know. Dont even worry about the IPL its a joke.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:27 PM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the G, but there are some inherent issues in my opinion. The 7AT transmission is a little bumpy, and there seems to a mixed response to whether the TSB is a good or bad thing. The leather on the driver's seat becomes really nasty over a short period of time. The car is heavy and does not like to accelerate quickly off the line due to both weight and lack of low end torque. Many people have had issues with rattling. Paddle shifters shift slow if you buy a 7AT with Sport package.

Overall, I think the car is sexy and great. However, I do get tired of getting passed by accords and what not off the line unless I give it more gas off the line (city speed limit is 50-60 mph). My gf drives a 335i, and that car drives much better for daily driving (especially in city traffic) because of the low end torque and stiffer suspension. I thought I would get over not having low end torque, but my next vehicle will need to have more than the G for sure.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Trincap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To answer the original poster, It's ok. It's not fantastic but it's ok. The squeeks on the convertible as well as the poor build would deter me. If you are looking to replace the Porsche with an everyday sports car then I suggest the R8 V10. I thought the R8 was pretty much the ultimate in daily use sports car. If you want to go nuts, you could get the 458. Personally, I think it's the finest car I've ever had. I would shy away from the GTR. I found it to be awful other than the engine. The M6 is possibly the worst car I've ever owned. (seriously, stay as far away from that one as you can). I never had a z01 but the z06 fails on so many levels. The GranTurismo is fantastic. Other than the possible maintennance issue its a wonderful car. The XKR is also good but get the most recent version. The G37? Well, it looks great, the electronics are great, the seats are comfy, the audio is soso, the handling is good, the steering is good to very good, the engine is good. The build is bad, the service is soso, the cost is great. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Good luck.
P.S. You could always just garage your weekend cars offsite. That's what I do.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Trincap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reread the original post. I think I know where you are going here. I was in a similar situation. You're looking for a fun sporty relatively quick nice looking car that's easy to drive and not a hassle if you are in traffic or something. Oh and something that is doable relatively cheaply. Yes, this fits the bill for that. It's fun, has a nice sound and drives quite well. I don't feel nervous parking it on the street and still feel it looks fantastic. I even took it out on the track for the hell of it the other day. (not too impressed to be honest)
I think you'll be happy with it here but either go for a 2 year lease or buy one used on the cheap so you can move on in a few years.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Viper62382

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my G37S coupe & GTR. You cant go wrong either way.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 PM
RiA

Originally Posted by Trincap
P.S. You could always just garage your weekend cars offsite. That's what I do.
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.

I think the suggestion that is the winner here is the one above. I hadn't thought of this, but this might just solve my problem of too many cars for the garage. I could rent a garage for storage and keep my TT for weekend drives and track time.

The only problem this doesn't solve, is the extra funds for my kitchen remodel - well, I might just have to sell some stock to get that to work.

Thanks again to you all!

Cheers,
Rich
Old 01-27-2011, 12:31 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by RiA

I think the suggestion that is the winner here is the one above. I hadn't thought of this, but this might just solve my problem of too many cars for the garage. I could rent a garage for storage and keep my TT for weekend drives and track time.

The only problem this doesn't solve, is the extra funds for my kitchen remodel - well, I might just have to sell some stock to get that to work.

Thanks again to you all!

Cheers,
Rich
Refinance ... we just did for our kitchen remodel. Added 1 year to our loan and $185 monthly to walk away with 50k to remodel the kitchen.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:00 AM
infinate

IMO I think it'll be a major downgrade as for luxury and speed but if you're looking for a daily, you're in the right place. The G will satisfy your every need from performance to comfort, the longer you own it the more you realize it never get's old If you do or don't end up getting her, I still welcome you to the family!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 AM
koa789

Originally Posted by RiA

Thanks again to you all!

Cheers,
Rich
You will be very disappointed going from your 996 to the G. Why not look at a CPO 997 S? Those can be had in the 50s now, and you will keep the driving experience of your current vehicle, minus the 700hp of course. And if you do decide to look at the G, please look at the 335 as well. It's a bit more expensive than the Infiniti, but it does everything about 10% better.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:14 PM
xsmurdoc

The G is a great daily driver. It picks up nicely if u need to and its smooth when you drive it around the speed limit. it has a great navigation system, music harddrive to store all ur music, bluetooth, rearview camera, heated seats, all that good stuff. It has very good brakes just in case you need them. I think its a great decision plus youre gonna save some money. If you want a little more styling, you could go for the G37 IPL. a little more xpensive but a nicer interior and exterior. that way u dont have to spend time and money of tuning it and make it handle better. i say go for it !!!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:18 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I think you should schedule a test drive and put the G through it's paces. Driving experience is all relative. For some folks, this car is too slow. For others, this car is a beast. My wife gets timid when she drives my G (all three times because she is not used to the responsiveness of the G.
I enjoy driving it. It has plenty of power and its a sportier drive than most daily driven cars out there. Of course there are cars that are sportier, and more powerful but the G does drive quite well for what it is. Its fast enough to be scary if you want it t be but tame enough to fit in with everyday traffic.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:40 AM
vibrant_red_G37

A qualified no. If you are looking to save on upkeep, insurance, gas etc go for it. If money isn't really an issue then I wouldn't ever consider it. I know I am going to annoy a lot of people here when I say you would be trading down.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my Carrera TT and going to G37 - any thoughts