Old 01-24-2011, 06:50 PM
RiA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have ridden in a G37, but haven't driven one
I have driven 3 Series BMW
Haven't driven a 5 Series
I've driven a CTS-V on a track
Don't really like the looks of the GTR - haven't driven one either

I know I need to drive the options that look appealing to me. I've told my wife to do the same, and the FX beat the BMW X5 after she drove them both.

If I do this, I will go with a used vehicle and let someone else take the depreciation hit. I'd like to get some $$ out of the car and another car to take it's place. I can strip the mods off the TT before I sell to get some cash that way too.

I don't want to modify the next car beyond aesthetics (been there, done that) and while my TT is loads of fun at the track, it's not fun any longer on the street "during commute hours".

I don't get to feel the performance aspect of the car during commute - so I don't think I will miss the performance as I don't get to experience it during the drive. I am looking for something more comfortable where I can put it in gear, point it in the right direction and relax - yet still enjoy the looks and enjoy a nice weekend on Hwy 1 along the CA coast.

Selling my P-car and getting something used and less expensive would also contribute to my Kitchen remodel fund.

So, I am really looking seriously at doing this, I've had my P-car for 7 years now.

Oh, someone asked what I had before the TT - I had a 2000 Carrera 2S, before that, a MB SL.

Thanks again for the input so far.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:06 PM
SRG

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'm a person who has always been surrounded by really really nice cars for example, like your porsche, my buddy owns a carrera TT...I'm not sure what your budget is...because you have had a pretty expensive number of cars but for the price that you get the G coupe, it's a gorgeous car that is perfect for driving everyday, (not sure if you're getting manual)...but if you have a budget where you can go for a more expensive car, the m3 =) that car is a perfect machine... but I love my G and i feel great getting into the car everyday...
Old 01-24-2011, 07:33 PM
beattyG37

I think you are on the right track. Sounds like you are at a place in your life that I was at when I got my G. I decided to get a one year old 2009 G37S Automatic, and let someone else take the first hit on depreciation. Living in Atlanta, I just will NOT get a manual transmission, my patience is too short. I have had BMW's and they are amazing cars, but I will likely NEVER have another one, particularly a used one, due to maintenance issues as mine went out of warranty and then it decided to stay in the shop constantly.

The G is a beautiful car and tight enough, and powerful enough, for my tastes. I did reflash the ECU and installed a Stillen CAI, but other than that, it is all original and staying that way. Only you know if you can handle losing some power over what you currently have and I think your wife would have no problems driving the G. So I say GO FOR IT! And enjoy!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Super nice, P-car, man. Love it. I think you'd like the G37 for a daily. Would it "wow" you after driving the p-car, not sure, but it is definitely a fun car to drive.

Would you still be keeping the p-car?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Nick3753

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like I said, maybe I'm naive (meaning an error in judgment). I just assumed that someone who owns a great performance car that has been modified would be an overall car enthusiast and thus likely arleady know which cars would be great daily drivers and still a blast to drive. So, my apologies.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:04 PM
usndocgreen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Opinion

So.... I am not a big bimmer fan and because of that I would say your options are G37s or Audi s5. You could argue the M3 in there too if you are a fan. Big price range here...oh and might as well throw in the RS5 from Audi if you have the $$$ and they get a life and bring it state side.

All that being said... i think the G will be more nimble and responsive like your porche compared to the other mentioned Cars with a great interior design that makes for a comfortable commute....add the TT and you will probably be happy as can be!! All that is IMO of course!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:06 PM
fastlane45

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RiA
I'm new to this forum and have been thinking of going from my Carrera Twin Turbo and going to something a little easier for a commute.

It's highly modified and not the easiest to drive in rush hour traffic.

Will I get a reasonable thrill driving a G37?

Here is what I presently drive

Thoughts?
You will get a thrill driving the g but all the thrill is at the top end on these cars.. its never really there when you want it. We don't get peak torque until around 5k rpms. If you want to spend around the price of a g and have a bit more fun go with a 335is. If your considering any other cars people have mentioned on here and are willing to spend that go drive a Maserati granturismo or quattroporte. You want thrill and daily drivability? That's the way to go my friend. Very nice porsche by the way and good luck with your decision
Old 01-24-2011, 10:06 PM
1NEETO

I that since your previous cars are pretty expensive it makes everyone (including myself) that you must have lots of money. But now that you mention that you are wanting to remodel your kitchen tells me that perhaps you're not looking into spending 70+ for a car, and the fact that you are willing to buy used.

What price range are you looking at? I'm guessing no more than 40k so in that case an used 09 or 10 G37S A7 should be perfect for your needs. I would recommend an used 335i but I don't trust used bimmers. An used RS4 should do the trick too.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:06 PM
RiA

Originally Posted by 1NEETO
I that since your previous cars are pretty expensive it makes everyone (including myself) that you must have lots of money. But now that you mention that you are wanting to remodel your kitchen tells me that perhaps you're not looking into spending 70+ for a car, and the fact that you are willing to buy used.

What price range are you looking at? I'm guessing no more than 40k so in that case an used 09 or 10 G37S A7 should be perfect for your needs. I would recommend an used 335i but I don't trust used bimmers. An used RS4 should do the trick too.
I don't have lots of money, but I do like to spend what I have on nice cars (and my wife likes to spend it on shoes and purses).

I'm thinking I can get between $45 - $55k for my car (depending on what mods go with it) and am thinking no more than $40k for the next one.

I've driven an A4 a number of years back and didn't care for it too much - so I'm not sure about the RS4, but maybe I should give it a look as well.

The M3 or M5 is an interesting thought as well. I'm not a big BMW fan, and I love the styling of the interior and exterior of the G37.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:09 PM
RiA

Originally Posted by fastlane45
You will get a thrill driving the g but all the thrill is at the top end on these cars.. its never really there when you want it. We don't get peak torque until around 5k rpms. If you want to spend around the price of a g and have a bit more fun go with a 335is. If your considering any other cars people have mentioned on here and are willing to spend that go drive a Maserati granturismo or quattroporte. You want thrill and daily drivability? That's the way to go my friend. Very nice porsche by the way and good luck with your decision
Interesting point about peak torque range - I will only be able to realize this after a test drive. I hadn't thought about Maserati, but have thought about Aston Martin (but both of those will be more $$$).

Thanks for the good points. I'm going to get out this weekend for a test drive to see for myself.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:11 PM
RiA

Originally Posted by usndocgreen
So.... I am not a big bimmer fan and because of that I would say your options are G37s or Audi s5. You could argue the M3 in there too if you are a fan. Big price range here...oh and might as well throw in the RS5 from Audi if you have the $$$ and they get a life and bring it state side.

All that being said... i think the G will be more nimble and responsive like your porche compared to the other mentioned Cars with a great interior design that makes for a comfortable commute....add the TT and you will probably be happy as can be!! All that is IMO of course!
Not a big bimmer fan either - the A5 is something I hadn't considered either (good suggestion).

I'll go for a test drive this weekend - we'll see how it goes.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:16 PM
1NEETO

If you're going for the G then why not go for the top of the line IPL?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:16 PM
RiA

Originally Posted by Nick3753
Like I said, maybe I'm naive (meaning an error in judgment). I just assumed that someone who owns a great performance car that has been modified would be an overall car enthusiast and thus likely arleady know which cars would be great daily drivers and still a blast to drive. So, my apologies.
No worries. I haven't driven a G37, but again, like the styling and have thought it would be a good daily driver - I'm just looking for owners or user's opinions, rather than my uninformed speculation.

Just gathering information to build upon my knowledge to base my decision.

Cheers.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 PM
RiA

Originally Posted by 1NEETO
If you're going for the G then why not go for the top of the line IPL?
What is IPL?
Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 PM
jsawyer

I just bought a G last week..it is much more comfortable than my Mustang that has 640 rwhp...not a big surprise, but I would rather drive the G at this point.

So sell the Carrera, buy a g, then buy my Mustang You would still have some cash left over
Attached Thumbnails Thinking of selling my Carrera TT and going to G37 - any thoughts-pony-engine.jpg  
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my Carrera TT and going to G37 - any thoughts