Old 01-24-2011, 04:03 PM
TL37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 on Audi R8.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:17 PM
RiA

Originally Posted by Nick3753
Maybe I am just naive, but I would think that someone who drove a "highly modified" 911tt would already know enough about all the above mentioned cars to not really need to even ask this question. I'm calling BS on this entire thread. My apolgies if I am wrong.
You're wrong! Why in the world would you think this is a BS thread? Do you think I have something to gain for asking the question other than information to help me make a decision?

Because I have a "highly modified 911TT" doesn't mean I know anything about these other cars.

I've asked the "G" folks as you own these cars and I wanted to get a sense of your enjoyment levels for daily commute and fun while you're at it...

Why would I ask if there was no value to my question?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:19 PM
RiA

Guys, I'm trying to sort the wheat from the chaff, but it's getting thick in here.

Those that don't have any constructive comments - please post in some other thread.

Last edited by Gamedog; 01-24-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Tainui

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most of the comments come from people who either can't afford to or have never willingly gone too far with a car. After reading your PM and the post describing what has been done to the car I know right away why you're trading "down". You took that car and made it a monster (or bought it as the monster it is). Nobody in here is going to argue that the the Porsche you own is an awesome track machine but I bet the ride is pretty harsh on the street after that work.

The hardest part about customizing your ride is looking at the car and knowing that one more mod will make some days better and most of them worse. My advice is not to let the pendulum swing too far because that won't help either.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Gobbler Man

I am coming from a Chevy Prizm, Corolla, Explorer, and a Eclipse, so keep that in mind.

I love my G both as a daily commuter. The important thing to me on a daily commuter is comfort and design. For that, I am very happy with this car. I know a lot of people complain about the tightness of the sport seats, but I find them very comfortable. The controls are easy, the noise level is nice on the freeway, responsive steering. Gas consumption is not the best though.

For me this car has been a win. Of course, as I pointed out, this was a big step up in the car world for me.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:36 PM
OMG35S

I would look into a G37/335/m3 if I were you.. They all offer good practicality....
Old 01-24-2011, 05:01 PM
RiA

Originally Posted by Tainui
Most of the comments come from people who either can't afford to or have never willingly gone too far with a car. After reading your PM and the post describing what has been done to the car I know right away why you're trading "down". You took that car and made it a monster (or bought it as the monster it is). Nobody in here is going to argue that the the Porsche you own is an awesome track machine but I bet the ride is pretty harsh on the street after that work.

The hardest part about customizing your ride is looking at the car and knowing that one more mod will make some days better and most of them worse. My advice is not to let the pendulum swing too far because that won't help either.
So true - I built the car from it's stock levels and have enjoyed it thoroughly. With all the torque, I needed a clutch that could hold - this means that it is pretty stiff. Commute traffic is a bear and I'm suffering a bit because of it.

The ride can be stiffened/softened as the coil-overs are 9-way adjustable, so the ride isn't bad, it's the constant clutch work that is killing me.

Sounds like you get what I'm after. I appreciate and thank you for your insight.

BTW, I will get an automatic if I make this swap. Rush hour is just not fun with a clutch any more.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:04 PM
RiA

Once again - thank you to everyone who has provided valuable insight and constructive comments.

I haven't responded to you all - but thank you again!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:06 PM
JoshLee89

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
sounds like you have some money. lol
get M3 then.
Best for both DD and fun car to drive
Old 01-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Stay on topic.

No flaming.

No childish posts.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 PM
colburs

Not knowing how much you want to spend as far as practical performance I would look at the Panamera (if you can stand the looks) or an M5.

If you want to save a little money and go two door go with an M3, S5, M6.

I love my G37S and have some experience with the 911 variant raced a purpose built 1983 for a few years but I think the performance or refinement is no where close to the cars I list above. That's not surprising considering it's $40k-$50k less.

If you want the best performing G37 get a 6MT S. Though still light years away from your TT it's the G37 with the highest fun quotient.

A Cayman S is a pretty nice way to go as well.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:39 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by RiA
I'm ~700hp, with upgraded suspension and other supporting modifications.

I know that it won't be as quick, unless I TT or SC the G, but I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking something a little more sedate would be appropriate.

I like the styling of the G and we have an FX for our other vehicle and just love it. I'm thinking the G might be the right move while still being sporty.
700 hp down to 330 for the g & 390 for the fx50. That's more like sedated like poppin xanax.
j/k I just think you will be let down as many of us have been,thats a huge drop in performance.(my previous vehicle was an 03 g35 sedan with 260hp, so for me this was a huge upgrade.)
yet I regret not going for the gtr,it came out 6 months after I bought the g.had I drove that 1st, I highly doubt I would have bought a fully loaded g37. Would have been more than glad to have bigger payments.
g/l/w your decision.
why not a nissan gtr it's less expensive & more of a true supercar, it is so much better than a g, less the loaner cars.

Last edited by RISKY GUY; 01-24-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:40 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Go give a 370z and a G37 a test drive. I don't think you'll really know what you want until you put your butt in something new and see how it fits.

I've never driven a porsche, but I heard their trannies are amazing. Our transmission might feel like a metal rod in a pit of rocks compared to what you're coming from.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:49 PM
jrl022

Originally Posted by Nick3753
Maybe I am just naive, but I would think that someone who drove a "highly modified" 911tt would already know enough about all the above mentioned cars to not really need to even ask this question. I'm calling BS on this entire thread. My apolgies if I am wrong.
This word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Anyhow, in regards to the thread topic, my initial reaction to the query was similar to some others who thought the performance differential between the two cars would be to great to live up to the standard of "thrill" to which you've grown accustomed. This car is by far the fastest car I've ever owned and I love it to death, but I also know what it isn't and make no misconceptions about it being a supercar.

But if you've also set your expectations accordingly and realize that 330 bhp is a looonng way from 700 whp then the car can be fantastic for you.

Also, from the context of what's been discussed in the thread it's safe to assume that you've never driven a G, correct? Have you driven any of other vehicle's that have been mentioned as potential alternatives in this thread?

Because I have to admit, the first thing that came into my mind upon clicking this thread was "CTS-V Coupe". Damn that's a nice car.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:57 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
I don't get why some members feel the need to go off topic and analyse the OP's relationship with his wife or doubt the legitimacy of his thread.

If you don't have an on-topic constructive response to the original post, then do not respond!

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my Carrera TT and going to G37 - any thoughts