Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thinking of selling my Carrera TT and going to G37 - any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 12:58 AM
The Jewbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RiA
Thanks rehtea - this is what I was hoping to get, something constructive and thoughtful. I've been thinking the same as you, which is why I'm considering the G37.

Thanks for your insight.
It seems as though you've already made up your mind, and anyone telling you otherwise to what you have decided is being "hurtful".

Anyways, welcome. Nice car.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:01 AM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can afford that Porsche, I'm guessing there is some cash available. So my recommendations would be the GTR, M3, CTS-V, ZR1. Lots of options there based on personal taste. All have big power, but still more refined than the Porsche.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:36 AM
qwerty0092
Registered Member

M6
Old 01-24-2011, 02:46 AM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
can you keep the 996TT and get a beater car like an EG honda civic? The G is a few steps down even if we are talking about commuting. have you thought about other 2+2 sporty coupes cars 'in between' the 996 and the G? Audi S5, BMW M3, BMW 335, 996 carrera 4S, etc.

any of these would get you a better 'thrill' than the G.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:50 AM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I honestly think that a G37 will bore you to death coming from such a bad *** car. Yes you will have a more pleasant commute but you will hate the power loss. The M5 will offer everything you're looking for and then some. Or maybe the M3 if you want a coupe option.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:02 AM
Romulus1

ive driven my uncles stock 911 TT, its ridiculously fast, on a whole other playing field from the G but i love my G37X, i have just a few bolt on mods, lowering springs and tune and it really has turned the car into a whole new animal. Ide rate the Carrera a 4/10 for daily commuting while ide put my G at 8/10, stock more like 10/10 especially in the all wheel drive. the ride is smooth but sporty when you want, not quite as stiff as the S.

As far as other cars, the S5 is another nice car, great ride, really quick, a friend from works uses it as his daily driver about 40 miles round trip and loves it. M3's are a little stiff in my opinion, while the 335 can be sporty but still have the comfortable ride for long drives or commutes, you could always go bigger in BMW too. ZR1's ride extremly hard and the CTS's are alright, ide personally take the G over the CTS and i just plain dont like lexus. Go test drive a few cars and see how they feel.

I agree that a G37 is going to be a huge downgrade for you but if your ok with the power loss then go take one for a ride and see what you think, take the GTR for a ride while your at it. Maybe you'll decide that the GTR is for you. I've take a Titan out for a spin and thats a hell of a truck! :-)

Regardless, i wish you with your decision and would give a +1 for a G37 because they really are great cars! Sick porsche too!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:14 AM
smashhell

Originally Posted by RiA
We only have a two-car garage, and my wife doesn't want anything in the driveway or in the street, so if I get another car for the daily commute, I've got to get rid of the P-car.
Oh wow I wish I could do that. It's the opposite for me. In my house it's all cars have be in the driveway. No cars allow in the garage because it's for "storage" and "stuff".

As for the car, I absolutely love my G37. I know it's not that comparable with a Porsche in terms of performance. But as far as a comfortable ride go, it's pretty darn good. And I believe there are some things the G does better than Porsche, such as electronic/gadgets/reliability etc. Why don't you test drive one yourself and see if you'll like it or not ?

Originally Posted by TomieG
I see. I agree with everyone above. Seems like the Nissan GTR may be a better fit for you.

A performance orientated super car that is daily drivable. Check out the new 2012. I believe it got a bump in horsepower putting it at a respectable 530 AWHP 0-60 in 3.3 sec
3.3 ? You are mistaken my friend. The 2012 GT-R does 0-60 in 2.9 seconds.
And a Nürburgring lap time of 7:20 seconds, the number 7th fastest production car in the world to run the Nürburgring.

What's not to love.

Edit: As a comparison:

Nissian GT-R(2012) 7:20
Ferrai Enzo 7:25
Lexus LFA 7:38
Lamborghini Murielago LP640 7:40
Mercedes SLS AMG 7:40
Ford GT 7:40
Audi R8 V10 7:44
Porsche 911 GT3 RS 7:47
BMW M3 8:05
Lexus IS-F 8:18
Audi S5 8:26

Last edited by smashhell; 01-24-2011 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 AM
swooshflex

He is not asking whether the g37 is comparable in performance to the porsche! He wants feedback on whether it is a good commuter car, while still offering some performance. I think the g37s is a great compromise between luxury and sport. Definitely not as fast as many cars out there, but with 330 hp, it does have some nice pep. The interior of the car is excellent, and I would rate it better than the porsches that I have driven. And for the money you get from the porsche, you can get the g and have some additional cash to save. You cant go wrong with getting the g37s thats for sure! You should test drive it of course, but I think it is a great car.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:48 AM
RiA

Originally Posted by swooshflex
He is not asking whether the g37 is comparable in performance to the porsche! He wants feedback on whether it is a good commuter car, while still offering some performance. I think the g37s is a great compromise between luxury and sport. Definitely not as fast as many cars out there, but with 330 hp, it does have some nice pep. The interior of the car is excellent, and I would rate it better than the porsches that I have driven. And for the money you get from the porsche, you can get the g and have some additional cash to save. You cant go wrong with getting the g37s thats for sure! You should test drive it of course, but I think it is a great car.
Bingo - you've got it right. I'm looking for something that will be more comfortable in commute traffic with more performance than your typical Camry. I've always admired the G35/7's styling and as I've stated, we have an FX that we really like. I have to leave the FX for my wife (as she doesn't drive my P-car), but if I picked up a G, then we could switch without worrying about her losing control in a corner due to the gobs of torque the TT puts out (or curbing wheels, etc.,).

I don't expect nor want the performance I have today in the TT in the next car. As one get's older, you don't find the need for all that performance. I've had much track time and I may be ready to move on to something more sedate.

To all those that have provided constructive insight - I thank you.

Here's what's in the TT:
Twin GT28 turbos
60lb injectors
Hitachi MAF
Silicone Hoses
EVOMSit Dual Chip (Pump and Race gas programs)
LWFW and Stage 4 clutch
GT2 Hydraulic conversion
PSS9 Coil-overs (corner balanced)
H&R Front/Rear sway bars
Europipe Exhaust
OEM 997 SSK
Seal Grey w/black leather
GT2 front bumper
GT2 full CF decklid and wing
OEM GT3RS wheelset

Thanks,
Rich
Old 01-24-2011, 01:25 PM
kchu221
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
That is a beautiful car... ill trade with you my G coupe anytime... 2010 AG G37s 7800 miles
Old 01-24-2011, 01:29 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
We went the other direction, from a mini-van to the G (auto). We (my wife and I) are thrilled to death with every aspect of the G. She drives it daily to work (1hr each way) and absolutely loves it. She oftens says the car makes the commute bearable. I get to drive it weekends and when she works from home. I know it's not the fastest car out there. In my area it is most of the time. I have to admit, I have always loved the looks going back to the original G35, for my tastes the wood trim interior would have been nice.

IMHO to sum it up

Looks = Great!
Performance = Fast enough for everyday use
Comfortable = Yes
Handling = Excellent for everyday use
Fast enough to kill yourself = Heck yeah
Fast enough to loose your license = Heck yeah

Now the fact you mention you listen to your wife indicates to me a certain maturity level so you won't be looking to impress every passers by you encounter. The folks who think the G is too slow (IMHO) are people who still feel the need to drive aggresively all the time and in most (if not all) cases that would involve breaking the law.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Tainui

RiA.

My wife could drive my car any day of the week; even if it was wet (she doesn't but I would feel totally safe is she did). She'd rather take her Range Rover SS.

The reason I chose the G37 is, among other reasons, because it has room for the car seat and decent trunk space. Nothing like using the TT car to take your kids to grandma's house; still have room for the stroller and all the other crap.

When driven below 3500rpms you'd never know there were turbos on the car. I don't second guess the move away from the Porsche but I will say that the added power in the TT is nice to have when you want it.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:39 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
sweeeeeeeet ride!!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Chi-City-G
Premier Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Welcome!

I think that you will be happy getting into a G... You mentioned that you have enjoyed the styling since the inception of the G which means you have always paid attention to it since I would think... and it seems that with your track experience and the car that you currently own and have built, that you know what a track car is what isn't and understand what the G is almost exactly what you stated you are looking for; a grand tourer. So with all that said (mostly to point out to others as you seemingly know this), I think the G will be a great car for you and will be much more enjoyable for your commute... The style inside and out of this car is why I chose it over any other car on the market as well as it's potential... cause there may be a day that comes when you are missing all that power you saw in the beautiful car you have now and while you will not quite see that again... there are a few people on this forum that will tell you that this car is and can easily be quite a different beast with early stage F/I

Either way, I say yes and that you will not regret it. Good luck with your selection and let us know after a test drive what your thoughts are.

Sorry about some of the responses but I think a someone mentioned it earlier that most of us (including myself) did not have the enjoyable experience of owning the car that you will be coming from so they would trade their G in a second to have that and couldnt see going the other way... That is all it is though... this is a great and helpful forum full of people that love the G!
Old 01-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Nick3753

Maybe I am just naive, but I would think that someone who drove a "highly modified" 911tt would already know enough about all the above mentioned cars to not really need to even ask this question. I'm calling BS on this entire thread. My apolgies if I am wrong.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my Carrera TT and going to G37 - any thoughts