Sponsored By:

So your warranty has expired.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
FukinG37S
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So your warranty has expired.....

What are your thoughts now? Will that ECU really be $4000 to replace? Oh no, the steering rack is busted, how much for that? Damn my power steering pump has gone out.. How do I turn!!

These are questions that will shortly turn into $$$$...

What are you guys doing that have ran out in your warranties? Are you seeing any kind of heafty repairs?

Reason I am asking is because I have been a Nicoclub member for some time now. Givin' that, I am able to purchase an extended warranty through Infiniti from a lady in Scottsdale, AZ for $1261 dollars with a small deductible that will run me from my current mileage into 88,000. Should I, or should I just eat it when it happens?

Also, I know that is a kick *** rate, and maybe I should, but I do plan to sell the car at 100k, or replace the motor, whichever comes first, hahaha
Old 01-20-2011, 06:11 PM
smashhell

I have my Infiniti G35 coupe for 7 years. My warranty only last 4 years and I did not get extended warranty. In that 7 years I had to pay out of my pocket a total of <$1000 bucks for minor repairs. I never heard of anyone do that kind of repair like you said, specially when the car is under 100k miles.

Really you are worrying too much, you are buying a Japanese car. They are extremely reliable and really cheap to repair(compare to German cars). I say Infiniti's cars can run well into 200k miles before breaking down.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Borderline-G37

haha seriously. japanese cars last forever! my dads car has 300k miles and no serious problem till around 200k. and that cars been through hell and back. helped my dad teach 3 new people to drive stick. two of them were women (mom and sis) other being me. mom was a clutch driver and my sis always dropped the clutch. what i expect from out G's is gotta be more or the same haha
Old 01-20-2011, 07:09 PM
droogie
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can extend your warranty for that cheap I would do it.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:11 PM
koa789

Originally Posted by smashhell

Really you are worrying too much, you are buying a Japanese car. They are extremely reliable and really cheap to repair(compare to German cars). I say Infiniti's cars can run well into 200k miles before breaking down.
These are all of my separate dealer visits for different issues

-Clutch solenoid replaced
-Brake shut off switch replaced
-ECU replaced
-Cruise control unit replaced
-Front hub replaced due to defect
-Front brakes warped and replaced TWICE in 15k miles due to defect in calipers
-Complete clutch replacement consisting of pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate due to unexplainable shudder in 1st gear, which is now back by the way, less than 6k miles later
-Transmission replaced due to 1st and 2nd gear syncros failing. This was last week. The 1st gear shudder is still present, and 1st gear still pops out when shifting.

And when I picked up my car last week, they told me my whole rear sub frame will have to be replaced so I am waiting on that to come in.

I thought the same thing you stated, but after my warranty is up, no more of this car for me, I'm going back to BMW or MB, or hell, even Audi if they get something under 45k with more than 300hp soon.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:25 PM
FukinG37S
Banned

Koa, how many miles are on your car?

I've been thinking really hard about this decision.

Thanks for the input guys. I understand it is a japanese car, and I've seen them run for miles and miles, but I am afraid I bought a first year production model, and I may see future problems.

Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:04 PM
TripleBlack37S

Originally Posted by koa789

-ECU replaced
-Complete clutch replacement consisting of pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch, flywheel, and
pressure plate due to unexplainable shudder in 1st gear, which is now back by the way, less than 6k
miles later
-Transmission replaced due to 1st and 2nd gear
syncros failing. This was last week. The 1st gear shudder is still present, and 1st gear still pops out
when shifting.

And when I picked up my car last week, they told me my whole rear sub frame will have to be replaced so I am waiting on that to come in

I thought the same thing you stated, but after my warranty is up, no more of this car for me, I'm going back to BMW or MB, or hell, even Audi if they get something under 45k with more than 300hp soon.
There are lemon laws for a reason. Your experience is not typical. I would not put up with half of that.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 PM
smashhell

-ECU replaced
-Complete clutch replacement consisting of pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate due to unexplainable shudder in 1st gear, which is now back by the way, less than 6k miles later
-Transmission replaced due to 1st and 2nd gear syncros failing. This was last week. The 1st gear shudder is still present, and 1st gear still pops out when shifting.

And when I picked up my car last week, they told me my whole rear sub frame will have to be replaced so I am waiting on that to come in.

Sounds like you got a bad car.

I have not even a Single ONE of those issues with my 8 years of owning an Infiniti.

You must of gotten a defective car.

Like what TripleBlack37S said your issue is VERY uncommon. Thats why there is the Lemon Law, if you experience 3(varies by state) or more of these "Major" issues. You can take the car back to Infiniti and they will give you a new car.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Falcons023

I have already looked for a good mechanic in my area...just in case, if my cars start giving problems. This is mainly for my 99 Maxima with 130k miles on it.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 PM
2009G37

Most of these extended warranties are scams to make money off you...think about it, why would they offer it if overall they lost money? Sure, every once in a while, you get a lemon, but overall, statistically, you're better off just paying out of your pocket if and when you need to. Of course, every car gets to a point where repairing costs more than the car itself, but that will be far beyond the point for which they will offer you any sort of reasonable warranty. Take good care of the car, and it will remain reliable for a fair amount of time, mostly likely.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:06 PM
BHB 91

^^^^^^^

What he said.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:08 AM
koa789

Originally Posted by FukinG37S
Koa, how many miles are on your car?

I've been thinking really hard about this decision.

Thanks for the input guys. I understand it is a japanese car, and I've seen them run for miles and miles, but I am afraid I bought a first year production model, and I may see future problems.

Thanks again.
48k right now.

And to everyone saying about lemon laws, I've looked into it, and it only applies to new cars in AZ over the course of the first 24 months or 24k miles. I'm pretty much SOL on it. I'm gonna go look at some cars next week so we'll see.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:11 AM
swooshflex

-ECU replaced

geez man. definitely not my experience with my car. havent had one problem yet. i only hear about serious problems like that whenever someone regularly races their car, or if it has been in a serious accident. any of these true?
Old 01-21-2011, 10:28 AM
koa789

Originally Posted by swooshflex
geez man. definitely not my experience with my car. havent had one problem yet. i only hear about serious problems like that whenever someone regularly races their car, or if it has been in a serious accident. any of these true?
Never been in an accident, and never even driven by a track. I never street race the car. I use it to go to work and back, and an occasional road trip to California. I don't even take it in the snow or rain, that is all delegated to my Tacoma. And I agree with the post above...I too had the warped dash, muffler rattle, and a number of other issues aside from the one's I've listed that the dealer has fixed, but if I was out of warranty, it would have been a lot of money out of my pocket. It's like they can't diagnose the issue right and just kinda guess at it. If it was at my dime, I'd be pissed.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FukinG37S
What are your thoughts now? ...
2 words:

Twin Turbo

Quick Reply: So your warranty has expired.....