Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Manual or Automatic....?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 11:02 PM
matthewsimmons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual or Automatic....?

Hey guys new to the forum did a little searching on this and still can't decide. I'm looking at 2 08' G37s one white with the 5 speed automatic with paddle shift and the other is black with the 6MT.

I'm on the fence on which one to get. I really like a manual transmission but one thing that annoys me is not being able to shift smoothly which after reading a few threads on here is what I'm worrying about (Mainly 1st to 2nd). I read a few reviews online about the new 7 speed and how it has improved dramatically over the 5 speed auto which makes me wonder what was so wrong with the automatic transmission to begin with?

Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:23 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Only issue with the 5 speed is that it wad used back in the day for the G35, not that anything was wrong with it but car manufactures are always looking for something to improve upon. And with those extra gears in the 7 speed AT better gas milage can be achieved for marketing purposes.

With that said, I have an 08 5AT and everyday wish I had the 6MT. :-/
Old 01-01-2011, 11:25 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
there are already a few threads regarding auto vs. manual. I am used to the 6mt since all Nissan sticks seem to be touchy and I've been driving them since 1995. (IMHO Honda/Acura make smooth manuals, and I've found VW to be nice as well , when it actually ran) Plus my wife refuses to buy an auto if a manual is available.

There actually seems to be a few complaints regarding the indecisiveness of the 7AT and related abrupt shifting but then again the 6mt has been criticized for its vibration and harshness.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:28 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rks
Plus my wife refuses to buy an auto if a manual is available.
wow if only the women i knew were like that. both my mother and gf refuse to drive manual. idk why you sir are a lucky man..
Old 01-01-2011, 11:32 PM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can get the manual, then get it. The 5AT is a noisemaker on the interstate at 3000+ RPMs. The 1-2nd shift takes some getting used to, but I've had my car since April and I've perfected it now. It's not as bad as people make it out to be, but it does take practice.

Our 6MTs like to rev for smoother shifts. The higher the rev, the smoother the shift. When you're winding this car to redline, the shifts are butter smooth.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:37 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Other than the lazy 1-2 shift, I really like my 5AT.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:41 PM
FM37

Dont be a vagina...get the 6MT. Only been driving stick for less than a month and I've already mastered shifting. I adjusted my clutch pedal (search for the thread) and it shifts smooth as hell + low engagement.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:44 PM
matthewsimmons

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I'm thinking that the manual will be the best route. I'll have to get used to the shifts for sure, the last thing I drove that had a manual was an old F150 which in no way will compare to this. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll be posting pictures on here of my new used car. Next step is negotiating with the dealership....buh.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:49 PM
dsnke1

Originally Posted by matthewsimmons
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I'm thinking that the manual will be the best route. I'll have to get used to the shifts for sure, the last thing I drove that had a manual was an old F150 which in no way will compare to this. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll be posting pictures on here of my new used car. Next step is negotiating with the dealership....buh.
Wise move. Go with the stick and have fun. BTW I happen to used to know a Matt Simmons, are you in NJ?
Old 01-01-2011, 11:51 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The transmissions on the G are the achilles heel no doubt. There's give and takes with any choice, 7AT's get better gas mileage and has tighter gearing then the 5AT but with the extra gears comes more opportunity for gear hunting which some can find annoying. The 5AT will give you the smoothest and quietest ride you can get on a G37, you don't even feel gears shift in D mode. The main complaint with Auto's next to gear hunting is we don't have a DCT so paddle shifts aren't instant which is by design, it's not a DCT.

From what you wrote if you love manual and performance is high on your requirements you should get a 6MT and learn to love it's failings.. gear wine, tight shifting, vibrating shifter.. did I miss any?

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 01-02-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:00 AM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
BTW, the 7AT is slightly quicker than the 6MT.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:17 AM
matthewsimmons

Originally Posted by dsnke1
Wise move. Go with the stick and have fun. BTW I happen to used to know a Matt Simmons, are you in NJ?
Nah, Michigan.

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
The transmissions on the G are the achilles heal no doubt. There's give and takes with any choice, 7AT's get better gas mileage and has tighter gearing then the 5AT but with the extra gears comes more opportunity for gear hunting which some can find annoying. The 5AT will give you the smoothest and quietest ride you can get on a G37, you don't even feel gears shift in D mode. The main complaint with Auto's next to gear hunting is we don't have a DCT so paddle shifts aren't instant which is by design, it's not a DCT.

From what you wrote if you love manual and performance is high on your requirements you should get a 6MT and learn to love it's failings.. gear wine, tight shifting, vibrating shifter.. did I miss any?
Hmm lol after reading the 1st paragraph I was like yeah I made the right choice. After the second paragraph..not so much. I'll have to search for this gear wine, tight shifting, and vibrating shifter you speak of.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:23 AM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I can say that when I've test driven and been in the 6mt G it does have a vibrating shift ****. Idk about the rest. But the extra gear in the 6mt does bring the revs down more than the 5at when cruising at freeway speeds.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:54 AM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
6mt FTW!
Old 01-02-2011, 03:37 AM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mystakin
wow if only the women i knew were like that. both my mother and gf refuse to drive manual. idk why you sir are a lucky man..
I know how that feels. Lameeeeee. Moms and gf's ftl

jk I love my mom lol.

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic....?