G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Manual or Automatic....?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:50 PM
ChrisBLKG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had an 08 5AT as said before I regretted it every single time I would drive. Partly the reason I traded up to a 6MT Sedan. Get the 6MT you won't regret it at all.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 AM
v.b

my '10 is the first car ive owned with a MT and I'm loving it. I still have crappy shifts here and there, but learning how to get better at driving my car definitely feels like an awesome accomplishment. dont even pay any attention to people who say the 6MT sucks for bumper to bumper traffic- yes its sometimes mildly annoying, but it gives you a chance to get better at driving

btw glad the drive home from the dealer was mostly flat roads or I would have been screwed haha
Old 01-03-2011, 11:29 AM
htownboy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by matthewsimmons
Hey guys new to the forum did a little searching on this and still can't decide. I'm looking at 2 08' G37s one white with the 5 speed automatic with paddle shift and the other is black with the 6MT.

I'm on the fence on which one to get. I really like a manual transmission but one thing that annoys me is not being able to shift smoothly which after reading a few threads on here is what I'm worrying about (Mainly 1st to 2nd). I read a few reviews online about the new 7 speed and how it has improved dramatically over the 5 speed auto which makes me wonder what was so wrong with the automatic transmission to begin with?

Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again.
I've been driving Nissan's since they were Datsun's and it's just the way you do it... Shifting is no problem from 1-2, just get it done quickly, especially when just cruising or keeping steady with traffic. Just use 1st. to launch and get right into second. Also, when wanting to get moving really fast, never red-line 1st., it's just not necessary and only slows you down. Shift to second no higher than 5500RPM's (4200 will actually get it done also), then run all other gears all the way up as high as you want (until red-line of-course).
A very smooth shift can be achieved anywhere between 1800-2800 RPM's for most slow everyday economy type driving. I find 2200-2500 is the slow cruising 'sweet spot'. In a short time you just feel where to shift and don't need to watch the tach.
Also, shift quickly... The action from getting from one gear to the next should only take a fraction of a second. This too is where I notice many people driving Nissan's make the mistake. They take too long, RPM's fall and you get a rough, notchy shift...

Every single person I know who bought the Auto when they first were undecided have regrets... On the other hand, some people know they like auto's and that is fine too since Infiniti's have this fine 7 speed now that is really nice. It actually picks the gears the way I would while driving the 6MT. Some of us just rather the manual for more fun factor...

Last edited by htownboy; 01-03-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:46 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ some good tips there. also, i often skip-shift gears in traffic or lazy acceleration. if i'm starting from a stop i'll go 1-3-5, from a rolling stop i'll go 2-4-5. i just take a little longer in between gears but with all the power the G has this is no problem. actually, driving around town i often just leave it in 3rd. unless i come to a stop this works great.

i started these "tricks" with my old '04 G35 6MT sedan, lots of guys do the same. of course if you want quicker acceleration this won't work...
Old 01-03-2011, 02:16 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
^ some good tips there. also, i often skip-shift gears in traffic or lazy acceleration. if i'm starting from a stop i'll go 1-3-5, from a rolling stop i'll go 2-4-5. i just take a little longer in between gears but with all the power the G has this is no problem. actually, driving around town i often just leave it in 3rd. unless i come to a stop this works great.

i started these "tricks" with my old '04 G35 6MT sedan, lots of guys do the same. of course if you want quicker acceleration this won't work...
I rarely use 5th and skip 3rd quite a bit as well.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:11 PM
matthewsimmons

So I just got back from test driving both the 6MT and the 5AT and I like both actually. The automatic with the paddle shifters wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The 6MT is where it's at though. We did a test drive that was almost 30 mins on all the various types of roads.

I was expecting the shifting to take me a bit to get used to but by about the third time through the gears I had it down. I'm very impressed with the car, lots of power and surprisingly comfortable even for me being a taller guy. Hopefully within the next few weeks I'll have one.