Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G Won't start this morning

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:47 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Yeah, those beemers and benz's are so much more reliable. That's why they've dropped out of the top ten for build quality and reliability...vw's and Audis never having been in the top ten.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:52 PM
dsnke1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dug my car out of 22 inches of snow this morning as well and it wont start. Pressed the button either 4 or 5 times total and now my battery is totally shot as it would keep cranking for a good 4-5 seconds each time. I can't even get into the trunk to bust out the manual because the proximity key sensor is dead with the battery. And so begins my week off.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:10 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracer g37
The car will keep cranking without the button being held down. That is normal. Did you try resetting the ecu by disconnecting the battery?
Guys, it was not the battery. I have a Red Top and not the crappy dealer battery. The car has sat for two weeks and started up fine. With my problem the car cranked just fine (and fast). As far as the continued cranking without holding the start button seemed like a feature but wasn't sure since this hasn't happened to me before.

So, I was getting my paperwork together getting ready to call the dealer and roadside. I tried one more time and it started, sputtered a bit (10 seconds) before idling smooth. Took it for a drive and it seemed fine. On the way back I hit the highway, put it in DS and jumped on it. It ran fine but I did notice the SLIP light flickered twice but it's not slippery out. Not sure if I was breaking free the Blizzaks or not. Got home, backed it into the garage and it started back up just fine. It seems fine for now. Going to put a trickle charge on for all the cranking I did and see what's up in the morning.

Thanks all who offered their advise, this forum does rock!
Old 12-27-2010, 09:31 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
glad the car started for you without having to take it to the dealership. next time you start the car, try just push the button and let it go. it will keep cranking until the ignition catches.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:55 AM
2008G-Man

Originally Posted by speedracer g37
glad the car started for you without having to take it to the dealership. next time you start the car, try just push the button and let it go. it will keep cranking until the ignition catches.
OK, we'll do ... haven't tested things this morning yet.

UPDATE: Car started just fine this morning, no apparent lingering affects. My guess is it might have been water in the line since all I did was add Dry Gas, warm the garage and start/run the car.

Last edited by 2008G-Man; 12-28-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:09 PM
nestle_!9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problems with my 08 G ,, was fed up with the dealer.. So I just got a Optima yellow top ... No issues since then.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:44 PM
2008G-Man

Originally Posted by nestle_!9
I had the same problems with my 08 G ,, was fed up with the dealer.. So I just got a Optima yellow top ... No issues since then.
It's not the same problem .... I did not have battery issues. My Red Top cranked the snot out of the G. It just wouldn't fire.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:20 PM
cjkeno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if this is the same issue but thought I'd share my battery problems with my 09G that only has 11k miles on it. The problems started last October when I came back to the car after being away from it for 1 hour, actually went in to attend a wedding and came back to the car and it was totally dead. So I was at a wedding with a brand new car that needed to get jumped, totally embarrassing. Anyway took in the car to the shop the next week (it was in for 4 days because they couldn't find the problem) and they diagnosed it as a drain to the battery being caused by the Lojack that was installed in the car. First they actually thought it was the remote starter that was causing the drain and they replaced the whole thing. So fast forward to 3 weeks ago and it's the middle of the winter, the car started acting up again, I would hit the ignition switch and it sounded like it was going to start but it would not turn over. This has happened several times during the last couple of weeks and I had it jumped each time but today I finally took it in the shop. So here's the new diagnosis, apparently I don't drive the car enough and there's a TSB out there for a battery replacement for it (they replaced it free of charge). If you don't start the car every day (keep in mind the most I'll go without starting it is 2 days) then you don't have the correct battery in there. So there you have it, let's see if the car starts when I leave work now, LOL!