Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

trade in G37 coupe for IS250?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:57 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
^agreed, cant really get anything better than an infiniti in that range. I seriously doubt the next infiniti product is going to be problamatic since it is a really rare case for these cars to go that bad.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:54 AM
VaTech03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was also considering the IS line when shopping around. I test drove the IS350 (wanted comparable power to the G37), and the impression I got was that it was a very nice car--it was smooth, powerful, and luxurious. However, I felt it was very boring. I felt very detached from the car, which may be preferable for some drivers (just not me). It also felt very cramped--more so than the G coupe. I also hated--no, loathed--how everything in the car in the car was labeled. Toyota has a big problem with this (there's printed text by the cup holders in the Tacoma saying that you should only put cups with lids on in the cup holders--c'mon, man....c'mon). It seems they carried that to the Lexus line as well: printed labels on everything. I'm an adult who has obviously demonstrated some sort of intelligent decision making in my life such that I'm considering buying a Lexus...you don't need to label everything for me. I think I'll be able figure it out.

That said, it's your money and it'll be your car. Take what everyone else says with a grain of salt. Just make yourself happy.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:06 AM
4drScreamer

Originally Posted by VaTech03
I was also considering the IS line when shopping around. I test drove the IS350 (wanted comparable power to the G37), and the impression I got was that it was a very nice car--it was smooth, powerful, and luxurious. However, I felt it was very boring. I felt very detached from the car, which may be preferable for some drivers (just not me). It also felt very cramped--more so than the G coupe. I also hated--no, loathed--how everything in the car in the car was labeled. Toyota has a big problem with this (there's printed text by the cup holders in the Tacoma saying that you should only put cups with lids on in the cup holders--c'mon, man....c'mon). It seems they carried that to the Lexus line as well: printed labels on everything. I'm an adult who has obviously demonstrated some sort of intelligent decision making in my life such that I'm considering buying a Lexus...you don't need to label everything for me. I think I'll be able figure it out.

That said, it's your money and it'll be your car. Take what everyone else says with a grain of salt. Just make yourself happy.
be happy get an Infiniti
Old 12-13-2010, 07:47 PM
koa789

Originally Posted by 2k7G35s
The IS350 engine is basically 4 cylinder size and power(Honda Accord 2.4 I-4 makes 190 horsepower for comparison), but it's in a more refined V6 shape. So a 2.5 N/A Inline 4/V6 is not slow ? Haha.... You are talking Hyundai Sonata 4-cylinder slow ! RWD is pretty much useless with such little power and more of a waste.....
It's not "slow" for an every day car. Most people don't go around racing like jackasses with the pedal to the metal. And the G37 is slow compared to a Mustang. A Mustang is slow compared to a Z06. A Z06 is slow compared to a Murcielago. See my point? It's all relative. The IS250 gets on the freeway with no issues and can cruise at 75-85mph with ease. Yes it's "only" 204hp, but the car drives nice. Not everyone needs 330hp. In fact, I don't think anyone needs 330hp, it's just nice to have.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:59 PM
2k7G35s

Originally Posted by koa789
It's not "slow" for an every day car. Most people don't go around racing like jackasses with the pedal to the metal. And the G37 is slow compared to a Mustang. A Mustang is slow compared to a Z06. A Z06 is slow compared to a Murcielago. See my point? It's all relative. The IS250 gets on the freeway with no issues and can cruise at 75-85mph with ease. Yes it's "only" 204hp, but the car drives nice. Not everyone needs 330hp. In fact, I don't think anyone needs 330hp, it's just nice to have.
If a car can force your head into your headrest, and/or make a glorious sound while accelerating, then I like that car. The IS250 does neither of those. As simple as that. I also meant to type *IS250.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:00 PM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If a car can force your head into your headrest, and/or make a glorious sound while accelerating, then I like that car. The IS250 does neither of those. As simple as that. I also meant to type *IS250.
That was a huge factor for me when i bought the G. the luxury interior/exterior appearance is fantastic, but when I hit the accelerator and hear that engine note swell inside the cabin I get a warm fuzzy sensation inside .

if that is not your cup of tea then the lexus is perfect for you.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Pip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not everyone needs 330hp. In fact, I don't think anyone needs 330hp, it's just nice to have.
Wait, my kids tell me "need" and "want" are synonymous. They're not?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:02 AM
koa789

Different strokes for different folks then :-) And if you think the G series are fast, you really need to get out there and drive a bit more. Just don't get on a bike, it will ruin every car for you...forever....
Old 12-14-2010, 02:39 AM
smashhell

I agree with what you are saying, but I think you are missing the point here.

Certainly, Lexus IS250 is a great everyday car. But an everyday car is not what we are looking for. We are sports car buyers, so the amount of horse power a car have matter to us.

Sure, many of us won't ever need 330hp on the road, but how do you know if we won't take the car to a race track ? At least I know alot of people with the G37 do that as an hobby.

Which is why we came to an conclusion that by sports cars standard, the IS250 is not worthy.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:50 AM
lzzhang10

I test drove the IS250 and my salesperson told me to slow the f down when i was revving it...
on the other hand, bimmer and infiniti told me to step on it.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:52 PM
rbocc13

Get an A5, it has AWD, smooth ride, good MPG, has all the features the G has but less horse power. I had a Mustang GT,A4, and now the G37s. The G is the only car that I had issues with, the startup problem, windshield noise, seat bubble, paint, and the MPG is horrible even when using cruise control on turnpike. A5 might be a little more $ but it is built a lot better than the G. If i could do it over again i would have kept the A4 or waited for the A5 prices to come down. Worth checking into.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:08 PM
JGabucci

Originally Posted by anh3
that's what I am considering to do... Had a few problems with the car that never got resolve, I could go the Lemon route but don't really want to deal with Infiniti products again.

Had a quote for a 2010 Lexus IS 250 w/ manual trans. for $27k otd, not including sale tax here (another $1800). No other option except for the value Premium option which added heated and cooling seats. I'll miss the styling of the G, memory seat, garage door opener, HID head lights, and more power. But everything else the G had, the IS has.
I read some of the posts about not needing 330hp etc.... Blah blah blah..

I had the oppurtunity to drive the IS250. If you have ZERO interest in handling, acceleration, overall performance, exterior looks get the IS. The car is night and day in comparsion. Period. There is no comparison. The IS is out right boring. No I am not being Biased because I have a G. I have driven my share of vehicles and in my opinion this is a no go.

Without getting into the whole acceleration debate/arguement I see that many people under estimate the G to begin with. Its a great performer and best bang for the buck.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:24 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by rbocc13
Get an A5, it has AWD, smooth ride, good MPG, has all the features the G has but less horse power. I had a Mustang GT,A4, and now the G37s. The G is the only car that I had issues with, the startup problem, windshield noise, seat bubble, paint, and the MPG is horrible even when using cruise control on turnpike. A5 might be a little more $ but it is built a lot better than the G. If i could do it over again i would have kept the A4 or waited for the A5 prices to come down. Worth checking into.
An an Audi is reliable, hassle free car??????

I've gotten 27mpg on a trip with the G and that was with three people in the car and the trunk stuffed with luggage.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:53 PM
WARAT
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
An an Audi is reliable, hassle free car??????

I've gotten 27mpg on a trip with the G and that was with three people in the car and the trunk stuffed with luggage.
+1. I even average 75 mph on a 350 + mile trip, trunk loaded and stuff inside the car..

I got a chance to drive an IS250 as well. The owner is a woman. It def suits her needs since she wants a nice car and doesn't care for perfomance. Backseat is non existant and I'm only 5'8.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:03 PM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on the gas mileage. After I got the MXP exhaust installed, I get even better gas mileage. 27 MPG on the highway.

If you want a hint of sport and comfort, then the IS250 6MT is a pretty good bet. I had a Jaguar X-Type 2.5L 5MT (195 HP), and it wasn't slow, but it did run out of steam fairly quick. The AWD made it seem quick from a dig, but not much fanfare afterward. At least it sounded outstanding while peggin' along

At the end of the day, it's your $. We're all biased anyway since we own G37's and most of us haven't had any issues. I was extremely frustrated with my Jaguar. The forum guys said I should just hold on to her until Jag came out with a worthy compact luxury sedan, but I couldn't wait, so I bought the 37, and haven't looked back.

Good luck OP on whatever you choose. You have to live with it so our opinions are just that. Opinions.

Quick Reply: trade in G37 coupe for IS250?