Sponsored By:

Car goes *Clunk!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 02:44 AM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car goes *Clunk!

Background: I drove my car pretty hard and didn't touch it for a week and left it in my garage when the temps at night averaged 36F-37F.

When I started up the G tonight, everything seemed normal at first. When I shifted to reverse in order to back out of my garage, the car wouldn't budge. Parking brake was off so that wasn't it. I shifted back to neutral then back into reverse; held the clutch fully down for a full sec afterward. I then tried to slowly release the clutch out to see if I can get it to roll. It started moving out then I hear a loud CLUNK as I backed out and the car shudders a little. I turn off the car to check to see if I ran over anything but nothing was there. I started driving up the block and I smell something weird but it goes away in about 5 seconds.
After driving for a bit more, I pull over and decide to turn off the car and restart it to see if it would do it again. The car made another clunking sound but not as loud as before. I drive around a little bit more and the clutch felt a bit off but gradually started feeling better. I head home, turn it off, turn it on again, started smooth with no clunking sound this time.

Does it sound like I glazed the clutch pretty bad or is it from clutch sticking in the cold temps?
Old 12-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Atlanta_G37S
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah sounds like your screwed
Old 12-07-2010, 03:30 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you can reproduce the sound, take it in under warranty. It's not that cold in Seattle so I don't think it is temp related.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:32 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd bring it in to the dealer and tell them about the noise so they can check it out for you.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
*update

Tried the car out today. Clutch is smooth and is catching predictably. Weird that it feels good again. If it happens again I'll probably take it in.

One thing I forgot to mention was that I changed the slave cylinder's fluid a few days prior to the issues I was having with valvoline dot 3/dot 4 brake fluid. The car drove fine for a few days after the change but that one night I ran into those issues. I did the change using the lame-o turkey baster method so that's what im thinking what might have caused it. However several months before, I heard a noticeable sound like my flywheel or transmission spinning after shutting down. Hopefully it's nothing.