Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why you should support the IPL line...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:31 PM
PureNick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why you should support the IPL line...

I'm an avid car enthusiast with a true passion for this industry. While you may not be a involved as others, you too are an enthusiast. Signing up for this forum, or any other forum, has taken you to the next level of ownership for your vehicle. Regardless of the fact, you've picked this car for it's overall design and driving experience. Let's be honest here, most car companies can make something that looks like sex on wheels but it's the inside guts that makes a car what it is.

So moving forward... anytime a car company, especially the one I'm currently involved with, has a new product and/or marketing move (in this case, both) I love getting my hands dirty to see what made them take this route.

So what's with the IPL line and why should you support it?

Why? Let's take a look at every other car companies in-house performance enhancing divisions. From the rocket ship producing AMG's to the infamous "M" lines of our European counter parts... each of these divisions started with high hopes on a small budget. Mercedes-Benz's approach involved mostly the motor while BMW's M line took the heavy suspension and chassis route. Again, all with budgets that rivals the average amount of money you guys invest in to your cars today. These cars not only performed better out of the box than their base model brothers but allowed for the average consumer with the smallest amount of car knowledge to buy their way in to a factory approved rocket ship... and just like that, an industry was born.

I don't need to drown this thread in things you already know (or could google now that the subject is at hand) but the IPL line for Infiniti is a very good thing in my eyes. Consider this a seed Infiniti has planted with just enough money for food and water. Give it enough light and you'll have a forest large enough to rival the production output, reputation, and following of the AMG and M divisions.

Infiniti's public business model will be renewed in 2012 as they do every 5 years and I expect for their IPL line support to be small to start but don't think it will get lost under a stack of papers under the CEO's desk. This is the next wave for Infiniti appealing towards us... the avid, passionate, and eager owners. Don't be shocked if the next IPL G comes with a V8 or a Twin-Turbo setup with 11" wide tires (Essence? ).

All in all, this is good news for us. I know you may hate the styling or think the upgrades are so minor that don't warrant the cash they're asking for but this is good. Give it time and you will see something amazing happen.

Thanks for listening to my thoughts for the last 15 minutes. All comments are welcome.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:40 PM
glassjaw047

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said. You're 100% right (in my eyes). Baby steps are necessary to grow into a monster power house of performance.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Jakex1

not to bash but you said amg went engine, bmw went chassis suspension.

what really is the ipl line doing other than aggressive styling cues + exhaust/intake work for 5 more hp :/.

I'm sure they could have gone another route for the G to make it perform considerably better than the g37s
Old 10-05-2010, 11:56 PM
PureNick

Originally Posted by Jakex1
not to bash but you said amg went engine, bmw went chassis suspension.

what really is the ipl line doing other than aggressive styling cues + exhaust/intake work for 5 more hp :/.

I'm sure they could have gone another route for the G to make it perform considerably better than the g37s
I agree with you. Why make a performance line if you're not going to deliever the goods to make it a performance line?

And yes, the IPL only makes 18 more HP than the regular G but as I was pointing at before... I honestly think this was a low budget shot to see how the Infiniti's buyers market will respond to something like this. If you ask me, I think the body kit and wheels were brushed off the designers desk that was originally considered when the coupe was being redesigned for 2008. It may be an initial launch with further development coming shortly or hell... maybe even a bolt on super charger kit similar to what Scion did. Who knows... only the deep insiders under multi-million dollar NDA's from Nissan know.

I'm just saying, I believe this could be something huge and while I may not PURCHASE an IPL vehicle at this very moment... it certainly has my support as a concept idea with big dreams.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Jakex1

its 18 more hp? i thought it was only 3-5 more, better but still. If i was a serious buyer id prefer less flamboyant styling and little more on the performance.

Once again comparing the amg/m line, the AMG/M car's can only be spotted be people who know what to look for (minus the badge). The styling is very subtle.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:11 AM
aexis

I think the IPL line will be successful. According to the autoblog article "around 5%" of total G coupes sold will be IPL's. If these 5% sellout the IPL will definitely advance to the next level "IPL2" 2nd generation ipl of performance/engine tweaks. It is also confirmed by Infiniti/Ben Poore that multiple IPL vehicles are already planned, most likely the G sedan, M's.

To compare IPL to AMG/M is beating a deadhorse, in it's current state at least. Should Infiniti have made a V8 G Coupe to shut everyone up? Maybe, but then again they think they would just end up losing money on this type of "halo car" so everyone who said they would buy a 60-70k IPL coupe would just buy a AMG or M instead screwing over the future of any IPL line. While many people are fans of going ***** out and making the 70k IPL coupe it is probably a lot safer, if not more boring, to start off with a 3k price increase than a 20k bump and test the waters. I for one agree and hope the IPL line expands and find's its niche.

edit in case anyone says M and AMG arn't 70k: loaded with nav/prem/etc they are around 65-70k. The ISF is around 64k loaded. Most dealers only order them this way, you would have to special order them in most cases to be barebones 58k for the M 60k for the AMG or so
Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Creepers

infiniti shoulda done what acura did with the nsx - unleash a ferrari beater. people are still talking about that car.

this IPL stuff is just to line the inside of Nissan's pockets. infiniti needs a halo car, b/c the QX56 ain't cuttin' it.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:15 AM
PureNick

Just for clarification, the only part in which I directly compared the IPL line to AMG/M is at the beginning of their lives. Granted all started under different circumstances... they all had/have the same end goal.

Not arguing just wanted to clarify that so people don't think I'm trying to say that the IPL G is similar or anywhere near the performance of the AMG/M lines.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:50 AM
ShyTown91
Premier Member

^Not yet! But it will be. I agree with you 100%. In fact. Ive tried to stress this point on numerous occasions but you said it better than me haha.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:03 AM
nisslover

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Many people have stressed this point, that IPL is in infant stages but some people just won't accept that. They want a G56 and thats it, nothing else. The thing is, most of everyone here saying the IPL G should be more than what it is would probably pass it up once they see the $60k+ pricetag. People are complaining about the M56 reaching $70k, let alone a $60k+ G.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:09 AM
HP_John

If we don't support the IPL then there will be no future with the kind of IPL cars we want (eg a real M3 competitor)
Old 10-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Nick3753

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HP_John
If we don't support the IPL then there will be no future with the kind of IPL cars we want (eg a real M3 competitor)
Or they will realize that the current IPL really = g37S+ and give a "real" IPL version for then next gen G coupe. I wonder what might have came if the GTR had been badged an Infiniti? I think if you could give an M/AMG/RS/F competitior for 5-10k less, people would buy. Just as they bought a 330i near equivalent in the G35 for 5-10k less.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry my A.D.D. kicked in after the second sentence. Oh look the Goodyear blimp!!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:48 PM
surfjax87

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As much as I wish Infiniti would have dropped the twin turbo from the GTR into the IPL G, it would be pretty dumb from Infiniti's standpoint. As many have said here, they have to test the market for a "higher performance" car. It will be a slow process before a monster is unleashed, but people supporting the IPL as well as aftermarket performance products (also helps show the demand for higher performance) helps to move the process forward.

Also, IMO Nissan/Infiniti will put the twin turbo into the Z before the G simply because the target market for the Z is more performance oriented than the market for the G. And while we're on the topic, put out an IPL G sedan already.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:48 AM
Beer Magazine

IPL =Fail

There's no performance gain in the car. It looks like a body kit.

Quick Reply: Why you should support the IPL line...