Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why you should support the IPL line...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 02:45 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right, I understand that. But looking at it from Infiniti's point of view, they only sold about 200,000 cars world wide in 2008. Assuming they could get the same 1.5% of sales of a "M-type" vehicle as BMW, that's only 3,000 cars globally. If they wanted to make it North America only, they sold about 115,000 cars in NA in 2008, that would be 1,725 vehicles. Of course this assumes that they could get the same percentage of people to buy their car as BMW, which is highly unlikely.

Considering the expense of marketing and R&D costs, I don't see how they could be justifed for only selling about 2,000 cars.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:58 PM
beattyG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
In 2008 BMW sold 1,202,239 vehicles world wide. Of that 474,208 were 3 Series (sedan, wagon, coupe, and convertible). So, about 39% of BMW sales are 3 Series vehicles and about 2% of BMW sales are M vehicles. Looking specifically at the 3 Series, 3.8% of 3 Series sales were M3s. That means that only 1.5% of all BMW vehicles sold in 2008 were M3s.

Now, BMW sells vehicles around the world and Infiniti only sold vehicles in North America (prior to their European expansion). I don't see how Infiniti could make a "M type" vehicle financially successful at this point in time.
I think the comparison of sales to BMW is a bad one. First of all, how many of the BMW sales are in North America? And, the 3 series, as indicated, has a number of various models. So, of the ones that the M3 would come closest to (the 335) what is the percentage of M3 north america sales to the 335 north america sales? This might be a closer comparison to the IPL sales to the G Sport sales.

In any case, putting the IPL (Infiniti PERFORMANCE Line) label on a car that is marginally better than the S (performancewise) I think is a mistake, particularly if the cost outweighs the benefit in today's market. They seem to have had no problem creating M37 and the M56. The G56 or turbocharged G37 should have been the IPL jumping off point. I know "it will take time to build the brand" but please. They cant build a brand by creating a car no one wants because they can have about the same thing for thousands less. (Sorry, just my opinion)
Old 10-08-2010, 04:04 PM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
At least infiniti gives you a 18hp upgrade and suspension. BMW's mtech only adds looks with no performance.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:22 PM
surfjax87

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm surprised at how many people think the IPL would be comparable to an M or AMG. The NISMO 370Z only makes 350 hp. No way is infiniti going to release a car with the same frame as the 370Z with more power.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:26 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by beattyG37
I think the comparison of sales to BMW is a bad one. First of all, how many of the BMW sales are in North America? And, the 3 series, as indicated, has a number of various models. So, of the ones that the M3 would come closest to (the 335) what is the percentage of M3 north america sales to the 335 north america sales? This might be a closer comparison to the IPL sales to the G Sport sales.

In any case, putting the IPL (Infiniti PERFORMANCE Line) label on a car that is marginally better than the S (performancewise) I think is a mistake, particularly if the cost outweighs the benefit in today's market. They seem to have had no problem creating M37 and the M56. The G56 or turbocharged G37 should have been the IPL jumping off point. I know "it will take time to build the brand" but please. They cant build a brand by creating a car no one wants because they can have about the same thing for thousands less. (Sorry, just my opinion)
Well, the point with a comparison to BMW was becuase everyone keeps saying "Infiniti should build an M3 killer." However, the BMW can build M3 type vehicles becuase they are a global company. They have the sales numbers to justify the cost in producing a M3. If BMW only sold vehicles then I doubt you'd see M vehicles from them becuase they couldn't justify the expense.

The point is Infiniti doesn't have the sales numbers to justify the production of "M type" vehicles. They can produce M37 and M56 vehicles becuase it's in line with what people expect from Infiniti and they have the sales to justify these vehicles. If Infiniti could justify producing a G50 or G56, they'd do it in an instant.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:35 PM
beattyG37

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Well, the point with a comparison to BMW was becuase everyone keeps saying "Infiniti should build an M3 killer." However, the BMW can build M3 type vehicles becuase they are a global company. They have the sales numbers to justify the cost in producing a M3. If BMW only sold vehicles then I doubt you'd see M vehicles from them becuase they couldn't justify the expense.

The point is Infiniti doesn't have the sales numbers to justify the production of "M type" vehicles. They can produce M37 and M56 vehicles becuase it's in line with what people expect from Infiniti and they have the sales to justify these vehicles. If Infiniti could justify producing a G50 or G56, they'd do it in an instant.
Well, they are not going to be able to support production of a substantially higher performance car, then maybe they should just concentrate on making their current model better. Hence, the IPL really should be the S.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:36 PM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Let's take a look at this one step further. IPL Infiniti Performance LINE... This is not going to just stop with the G, it is starting with G and working outward from there. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new IPL G for 2012 and possibly an EX, M, FX and QX making its way through the IP Line...
Old 10-08-2010, 04:41 PM
beattyG37

Originally Posted by ScottyBeGood
Let's take a look at this one step further. IPL Infiniti Performance LINE... This is not going to just stop with the G, it is starting with G and working outward from there. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a new IPL G for 2012 and possibly an EX, M, FX and QX making its way through the IP Line...
Excellent point. I lost track of the LINE concept and was just focused on the G.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:56 PM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From a National Announcement made by Infiniti...

The Infiniti Performance Line, or IPL, offers a new level of premium performance for Infiniti vehicles, focusing not just on engine power and acceleration, but also on redefining total vehicle performance. IPL promises unique driving attributes with exclusive designs, different from other Infiniti models in each selected Infiniti line. The 2011 IPL G Coupe is the first of what is expected to be a range of IPL performance vehicles in the future.