Sponsored By:

Help Identifying and Locating Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 05:12 PM
brycerocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Identifying and Locating Noise

Hi Everyone,

I've had my 2009 G37S coupe for over a year now and there is this persistent squeaking noise that the service depts can't seem to resolve. It's rather inconsistent but makes a high pitch noise similar to a cricket. It's driving me crazy . Today I managed to capture the noise on my iPhone. Applying a high pass filter, I've mostly isolated the noise. The audio file can be listened to at this link:

http://home.comcast.net/~brycerocket/noise.aiff

If you've experienced the same issue on your car or know how to fix it, please please let me know. Thanks!

-Brycerocket
Old 09-19-2010, 07:30 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
It sounded like key chain.. Hmm, check under ur car if some kind of debris caught and hanging.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:46 AM
KeyWasted

The two places ive heard noises in my coupe has been from the glove box and the driver side tweeter, not the triangle shaped one but the one right under that (I have the bose package). try holding the glove box when you start to hear this noise or push on the tweeter a bit. hope this helps.
-chris
Old 09-23-2010, 04:37 PM
brycerocket

Well, car is in for service right now having this looked at (also 15K service). I test drove the car with my service tech and we were able to reproduce the noise (oddly only happened after driving around for 15 minutes - no noise before that). He believes it's somewhere near the passenger feet area. I trust this dealership's service dept. (they do some quality work) so I'm hopeful they can fix it for good this time!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:36 PM
andrew3306

I have the exact problem but have no idea what it is. It sounds like it is coming from my steering column.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:24 AM
brycerocket

I wanted to update everyone on the resolution of this issue and once again compliment Beshoff Infiniti for their great service.

As I mentioned earlier, the problem was extremely difficult to reproduce. My service tech Abe (at least I think that was his name?) spent over 6 hours trying to identify the source. He eventually isolated it the door/flap which lets fresh air in. It is held on each side with a screw. One of those screws became loose and would cause this noise. The usual agitator is rough roads, however once it starts squeaking it doesn't matter what road it's on.

I've been driving the car for a week and have yet to hear the noise again. It also seemed more prevalent running the AC, which I definitely have been doing with this CA weather right now.

I want to thank Beshoff Infiniti for once again doing a stellar job on my car. Abe also identified other rattles/noises he heard so that I could point them out next time I bring my car into service. When I got my car back, the tires were dressed and the car looked better than when I clay bar'ed and waxed it!