G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Same beige interior roof trim for every interior color bother anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 AM
aexis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Same beige interior roof trim for every interior color bother anyone else?

Not to be picky but it seems regardless of every customized interior color trim the roof trim on the G is always beige. Honestly I didn't really notice it too much until being in my friends other cars (335i etc) and then also "custom building" other cars on websites like the Lexus IS / Mercedes C350 etc that it seems almost every other luxury sport maker matches the roof trim color to the rest of the interior.

To me the matching interior roofline colors (especially black on black and
Dark colors) really improved the aesthetics of the interior as a whole!

I don't think this is even a "Mass production money saving" issue for Nissan/Infiniti as I was watching top gear and noticed the GTR even has the same beige roof interior on what it seems is every interior color combo as well.

Has anyone else been bothered by this or it's not a big deal?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:12 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
No .... I don't loose any sleep over it.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:13 PM
JohnnysG
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I hate it. I want it to match my black interior, but it will have to wait.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:43 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

i read on another forum that the reason may be due to some customers complaining about being claustrophobic. a black roof liner would really make the car look 'smaller' and could be uncomfortable for some drivers. i personally would love a color matched roof liner but thats just something ive read.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:03 PM
ShyTown91
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mystakin
i read on another forum that the reason may be due to some customers complaining about being claustrophobic. a black roof liner would really make the car look 'smaller' and could be uncomfortable for some drivers. i personally would love a color matched roof liner but thats just something ive read.
lol thats one of the dumbest things ive ever hear!!!
i have a black headliner and i love it. but i guess some people are scared of colors haha
Old 09-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
It's bugged me for years on Nissans. They do it on other models too. It's being cheap and cutting costs is the reason, I've never heard anything about customers being claustrophobic, that sounds stupid to me. The multicolor mismatched interiors drive me nuts too. Either the wheat or stone (or maybe both) have 2 or 3 different colors of trim that looks horrible. My biggest complaint about the interior.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:04 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

here's the thread i read that from
"The reason is because if the headliner was dark too, then ****ing customers are going to find a way to complain about the car being too dark inside like they find every other little damn thing to complain about. While you guys may want a dark headliner, other typical day to day customers may not want it. I know that some Mercedes and BMW's have it, but most manufacturers stick with light colored headliners cause the car would feel claustrophobic. Having a light headliner makes the interior look bigger inside.

I'm personally glad the headliner is beige. It's bad enough dark interiors absorb heat even with tinted windows. IMO dark headliners would make me feel enclosed which I hate.

I'll bet my *** if the headliner was dark, then some people would probably find a way to complain."
post #16 want to change to OEM Black Head Liner.... - G35 NYC
Old 09-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
That's one person's opinion. It makes absolutely no sense to me at all. I believe it's to use the exact same parts on every car and cut costs and make production simpler and quicker. Maybe I'm wrong. No, I doubt it.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Coupe Daddy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It blends right in with the slate interior. Unlike most I can see the point of the claustrophobic point. I do admit that is does not look so good with the black interior.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:34 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

I don't know about the G but in Europe the M is offered with a black roof liner. Here in North America the M only comes with a beige roof liner.

Would I like a black roof liner? Yeah it's be nice but limiting color combinations keeps coszts down. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with how people felt in the cabin. Lots of cars seem to have light colored roof liners when they have dark colored interiors so I don't know.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:22 PM
newg37
Banned

never really thought about it

don't mind it since i have a black interior so it's a good bit of contrast

then again it would also look good with a wheat interior because black headliner on wheat would look stupid.

they stick with neutrals to make things easier to sell. to have all sorts of color configurations would not work out so they just make one color for the roof and 3 colors for seating.

if anything i would really want more leather color choices such as dark brown, champagne, red, etc.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Coupe Daddy

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I don't know about the G but in Europe the M is offered with a black roof liner. Here in North America the M only comes with a beige roof liner.

Would I like a black roof liner? Yeah it's be nice but limiting color combinations keeps coszts down. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with how people felt in the cabin. Lots of cars seem to have light colored roof liners when they have dark colored interiors so I don't know.
That's not it at all. 100 yards of black fabric costs the same as 100 yards of beige fabric. I think it is the perception of space that is the real reason. And a good one I might add.

It is just like interior lighting. People actually feel like a car is more safe when it has interior lighting (I didn't make this up). Perception is very important to car manufacturers.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:42 PM
ShyTown91
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^I dont know about the perception part. But I agree that the whole cost aspect doesnt make sense.
BMW makes you include the "M Sport" package to get the black headliner. And the charge alot for it. And people actually get it. Infiniti could do the same and people would without a doubt order it.
OFFERING a product doesnt cost that much of an overhead. Producing it might be a little risky, but well worth it in my opinion.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:49 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Well the way I look at it, Infiniti needs to estimate how many people will order the black roof liner and place an order for those to be fabricated. It's a lot simplier for their supply chain if they can just order a single colour for all the cars they produce plus they probably get a larger discount if they order x units of one colour as opposed to order x units of colour a and y units of colour b.

I imagine BMW forces you to get the M sport package to get the black headliner because it's probably such a small percentage of people who get it that it's not worth their while to produce it as a stand alone option. Forcing you to get the M sport package makes it worth their while as you're now paying for additional options so they can justify the cost.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:50 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yes! I hate our beige liners too! and the fabric that they used for it. It's so damn hard to keep it clean. Especially the pillar areas.

The claustrophobic thing might make sense... but they could have gone with a more neutral light grey/silver color instead. That would look better than the beige.

I wish it was black.

Quick Reply: Same beige interior roof trim for every interior color bother anyone else?