G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

IPL G coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:52 PM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
^ exactly.. I don't know what AMG, M, or even S (Audi) stand for.. but I know IPL = Infiniti "Performance" Line, then they go drop a car with NO performance hahaha.. you're right they should have just called it G37S Anniversary Edition II lol
Old 09-10-2010, 01:24 PM
carl212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i agree 100% with Mr. newg37, GM uses, their V8 engines in multiple platforms/divisions, Corvette, Camaro, CTS -V, i'm just saying don't go through all the trouble and money to create a new line, and just stick a few go fast parts on it. Maybe they should have just called it a G37ss.
Save the IPL for the real performance models, whether it be a G37 or some other different group of models all together. They don't have to be $100,000.00 super cars, something in the 60-70,000.00 range would be in reach of buyers in that market. Would they buy an Infiniti over a BMW M or AMG?, If done right and the price just under cuts the Germans, I think so. I would. All us G37 owners if at some point in time you want to move to a real higher performance model, we have no choice but to go to GM, BMW, Mercedes or dare i say Lexus? That's a shame!!
Old 09-10-2010, 05:25 PM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I wanted was a G50S. I would have happily paid $50k for a 400 HP 5.0L V8 G50S 6MT.

Keep the IPL, give me a G50. Or better yet, have the G50 be the IPL version.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 PM
carl212

i'm with ya! this IPL G37 is a marketing nightmare, why would anyone buy this car knowing, in a few years, the 3rd gen G37 is going to come out, with the base car probably having at least the same 348hp or more. So what then? Your exclusive IPL G perfomance advantage will last what? a couple years? Any IPL they put out should be at least 100hp more the the regular G37. I think Infiniti has stumbled on this one. Don't be surprised if Hyundai takes a run at putting out a high performance version of their Genesis coupe, bet they will stuff their V8 from the Genesis sedan into it. When you put out a new High performance line you don't start small, you go big or don't go at all.
The future favors the bold!!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:29 AM
newg37
Banned

I see what they are trying to do

introduce this at $49,995 with the 3.7l engine and then next year introduce the 5.6l engine starting at $58,000 and keep two trims of IPL around one for looks/aesthetics and one for brute power.

just like with the M37/M56.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:35 PM
carl212

That could make sense, I just heard Hyundai is putting out a 60,000.00 luxury sedan (Equus) to compete with Lexus, BMW,Mercedes, will people buy?thats another question, but you gota give them props....thats called guts!!! Not this IPL Coupe nonsense. So for all you people that think no one would buy a 60-70,000. infiniti you might want to think again.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't want an 8 cyl engine in this car. It would screw it up dynamically IMO, and add too much weight. I'd much rather see a TT 6, but it'll never happen in the price range the G fits into. If Infiniti starts screwing around too much, they'll cannibalize sales of the M56, which "only" starts at $57,550 with the 420 hp V-8.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:53 PM
carl212

yea, ur right but thats why i was saying they should take the tt6 from the GTR, and the call it an IPL Coupe, price it around 60-70000, then ur not going to take sales from the M56, it's more a performace sports car and gives g37 buyers another level of performance they can go to without leaving the infiniti line. Its also a marketing thing, it brings people into the showroom, they prob cant afford it, but they will look at the less expensive models. ITs all about marketing, It also makes current Infiniti owners a model we can be proud of, and say yea Infiniti can make a performance car as good as anything , BMW or AMG, Lexus or GM can put out, this IPL coupe is nothing to get excited about and its not going to bring new people into the showrooms. All about marketing my friend,
Old 09-12-2010, 12:40 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carl212
yea, ur right but thats why i was saying they should take the tt6 from the GTR, and the call it an IPL Coupe, price it around 60-70000, then ur not going to take sales from the M56, it's more a performace sports car and gives g37 buyers another level of performance they can go to without leaving the infiniti line. Its also a marketing thing, it brings people into the showroom, they prob cant afford it, but they will look at the less expensive models. ITs all about marketing, It also makes current Infiniti owners a model we can be proud of, and say yea Infiniti can make a performance car as good as anything , BMW or AMG, Lexus or GM can put out, this IPL coupe is nothing to get excited about and its not going to bring new people into the showrooms. All about marketing my friend,
Look at Lexus, they built the IS-F and no one is buying it. Infiniti is doing the right thing, they are slowly building up a performance brand and will release higher end cars when the time is right. It's just like their approach in Europe. They're opening a few dealers in each country and slowly building the brand.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:19 AM
newg37
Banned

nobody is buying the ISF?

i think it's doing well considering that the IS needs a new redesign. the IS sells about 3,000 units a month whereas the G sells about 5-6k a month.

if they redesigned the IS and ISF sales would soar.

as for the V8 I think it works well for the M3. I hear the next gen M3 might have a v6t along with the s5.

not sure I would want an engine with a turbo (or the problems that come with them)
Old 09-12-2010, 09:07 AM
carl212

yea, i prefer naturely aspirated engines myself to turbo but since they have the tt6 from the GTR, might as well use it. Nobody is buying ISF? How bout Lexus LFA? You can't get one even if you wanted one now, not that I would ever want one,lol . They're not going to sell thousands, thats not the point. IT's a halo car, shows what Lexus can do. It generates excitement for the brand. I'm not saying Infiniti needs to create such a car. If they want to start slow fine, just do it within the regular infiniti line, till your ready to put out a real performance cars and division to market it.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:33 AM
G4FSR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like everybody said, it's the start. But to call it IPL ( "performance" division) I think the additional ponies and torque is so minute.. They might as well call it a "special edition".
If they really want to call it the performance G, they should have given it more power.
In comparison IS350 vs ISF, 335i vs M3, A4 vs S4 . I know the other engines are bigger. That's the idea of having performane - to have more power.
My 2 cents.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 PM
carl212

yea, well how I would have done it, is I would have made this IPL G coupe, the anniversary edition G37, then for the 3rd Gen g37 in 2012 or 2013, I would have given the base car at least 350hp, a year later then create the IPL division G37 based on the 3rd Gen, with at least 450HP, what engine you want to used is up for debate. Just how i think they should have done it.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Eastern-G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that the forthcoming IPL is not very impressive. However, I still think there are a lot of people who will end up grabbing one simply for the convenience of not having to mod the car themselves and risk having poor work done or voiding the warranty. Infiniti has probably done some research on the people who generally look at the G - maybe most of the potential buyers are 40-50 somethings who don't want to put much time and effort into being unique.

I think as others have stated this is just a "taste test" from Infiniti. They want to introduce a new idea or concept and see how well it is received by the public. Just like Lexus and BMW, they'll sell some "performance" add ons to make their cars more unique. Once they see how popular it is, they'll pour more money into R&D and really gun for the M3 and C63 AMG. I'm guessing they know people will be disappointed right now, but they don't want to invest a ton of money into something that might not fly, especially in this economy. Eventually, I'm hoping they'll release some monster version of the G based on the GTR. Perhaps that new smaller coupe that's been rumored will be a high performance IPL 2 seater?

Not enthralled by this first attempt, but I can't wait to see what comes in the near future!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:32 PM
carl212

i agree, there was just so much hype about this new division, its a little disappointing, but yea, I can't wait to see what they do with the 3rd Gen G37, and other projects, lets hope they have something real exciting to come!

Quick Reply: IPL G coupe