G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New member and potential G37s buyer. Need YOUR feedback please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:52 PM
tag824

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Question New member and potential G37s buyer. Need YOUR feedback please!

Hello everyone,

I currently have a 335i and it's lease is up at the end of November. I'm very interested in getting the G37s and wanted to ask a few questions before I go in and test drive one next weekend.

I'm looking to get AT in the car. I read it has a 7 speed AT and I wonder if anyone could compare it to the BMW AT. In my 335i I can put it into sport mode which holds its gears longer or I can switch into M mode which stays in whatever gear I blip into unless it must change gears to avoid stalling or redlining.

I was looking at the 370z and even went and drove one. Long story short, it's not for me. Too noisy and bouncy for my liking. I originally stayed away from the G37 because I didn't like the front that much. Then my brother pointed out the Sport has a nicer front and gives you the other sport amenities so here I am.

Is there anything I should know regarding reliability, issues, etc? Is there anything that's a must have with this car?

I owned two e46 coupes and currently have the e92. This will be the first time I'm venturing out of BMW territory in 8 years. So any and all info is appreciated since I don't know much about Infiniti.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:02 PM
Creepers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tag824
Hello everyone,

I currently have a 335i and it's lease is up at the end of November. I'm very interested in getting the G37s and wanted to ask a few questions before I go in and test drive one next weekend.

I'm looking to get AT in the car. I read it has a 7 speed AT and I wonder if anyone could compare it to the BMW AT. In my 335i I can put it into sport mode which holds its gears longer or I can switch into M mode which stays in whatever gear I blip into unless it must change gears to avoid stalling or redlining.

I was looking at the 370z and even went and drove one. Long story short, it's not for me. Too noisy and bouncy for my liking. I originally stayed away from the G37 because I didn't like the front that much. Then my brother pointed out the Sport has a nicer front and gives you the other sport amenities so here I am.

Is there anything I should know regarding reliability, issues, etc? Is there anything that's a must have with this car?

I owned two e46 coupes and currently have the e92. This will be the first time I'm venturing out of BMW territory in 8 years. So any and all info is appreciated since I don't know much about Infiniti.

Thanks!
welcome to the forum.

sounds like you're looking at the G37s coupe. if that's the case, don't worry about the 7AT cuz it only comes with MT.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:05 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Get a Journey with sport package

7AT w/ the sport bumper sport seats BBK VLSD and sport seats....
Old 08-29-2010, 09:13 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Reliability won't be a problem. They are reliable cars.

It sounds like you lease them anyway, so you likely won't run into anything substantial during that period of time.

There are pluses and minuses with the 3er and a G. I came from an older 3 series and I think Infiniti really has the sport/luxury thing down pat. Very fun to drive, handles great, beautiful exhaust note and comfortable.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:17 PM
tag824

Yes, I'm looking at getting a Journey coupe with the sport package. Isn't that esentially the same thing as the Sport?

This is what it says comes with the sport package for the Journey.

• 10-spoke 19 x 8.5-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/45R19 (front) and 19 x 9.0-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 245/40R19 (rear) W-rated summer performance tires
  • Sport brakes with 4-piston opposed front calipers with 14-inch rotors and 2-piston opposed rear calipers with 13.8-inch rotors
  • Sport-tuned suspension
  • Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VLSD)
  • Sport front fascia, side sills and unique headlights
  • Solid-magnesium paddle shifters (not available with 6-speed manual transmission)
  • 14.7:1 Sport tuned steering gear
  • 10-way power driver's sport seat with manual thigh extension, and driver's power torso and thigh support adjustment; 8-way power front-passenger's sport seat
  • Aluminum pedals and footrest
Old 08-29-2010, 09:24 PM
tag824

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Reliability won't be a problem. They are reliable cars.

It sounds like you lease them anyway, so you likely won't run into anything substantial during that period of time.

There are pluses and minuses with the 3er and a G. I came from an older 3 series and I think Infiniti really has the sport/luxury thing down pat. Very fun to drive, handles great, beautiful exhaust note and comfortable.
I'm glad to hear that from a former bimmer driver. To be honest my reason for leaving BMW is two fold; price and reliability. Over the past several years the prices have gone through the roof and reliability has gone down. My current e92 is the most unreliable car I've ever owned. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing machine, when it's working without issue.

I plan on buying this car but if I was going to get into another BMW I would lease. No way would I buy the bimmer when the out of warranty repair is insanely expensive.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:56 PM
cruzmisl

Price and reliability are also why I'm done with BMW for now
Old 08-29-2010, 09:58 PM
cruzmisl

Yes, I'm looking at getting a Journey coupe with the sport package. Isn't that esentially the same thing as the Sport?

This is what it says comes with the sport package for the Journey.

• 10-spoke 19 x 8.5-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/45R19 (front) and 19 x 9.0-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 245/40R19 (rear) W-rated summer performance tires
  • Sport brakes with 4-piston opposed front calipers with 14-inch rotors and 2-piston opposed rear calipers with 13.8-inch rotors
  • Sport-tuned suspension
  • Viscous Limited-Slip Differential (VLSD)
  • Sport front fascia, side sills and unique headlights
  • Solid-magnesium paddle shifters (not available with 6-speed manual transmission)
  • 14.7:1 Sport tuned steering gear
  • 10-way power driver's sport seat with manual thigh extension, and driver's power torso and thigh support adjustment; 8-way power front-passenger's sport seat
  • Aluminum pedals and footrest
It's a technical thing in how Infiniti packages it. The only "true" "G37 Sport" has the 6MT.

The Journey w/ Sport has everything but the manual transmission, so yeah, it has the sport package.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:07 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
The more you research the G, the more you'll like it. Welcome to the forum.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i also hopped from a Bimmer to this so you're not the only one. hopefully you can become one in our community.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:04 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Hello everyone,
Welcome!

-Don't have your wallet in your back pocket or you'll get a seat bubble.
-The seat tends to wear quickly.
-The sport package still will need lowering springs to get rid of the wheel gap
Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 AM
tag824

I read this on Nissan News and Motor Trend regarding the 2011 coupe.

G Coupe – Sport Package now offered on G37 Coupe AWD models, Navigation Package content now standard on G37 Coupe Sport 6MT, revised front fascia design (Sport and non-Sport) with fog lights moved from inside the headlight to the lower fascia area, revised 18-inch and 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheel designs and two new exterior colors. Available November 2010.

Anyone know when they will unveil this? I cannot find anything on it, driving me nuts.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:22 PM
cruzmisl

I'd get a 2010. The 2011's with the new front bumper is kind of ugly.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:27 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I test drove an E92 335i a couple weeks ago and can compare the AT trannies. The BMW paddle shifters are different from the G37's. On our cars the left paddle downshifts and the right upshifts. The BMW has two paddles that essentially do the same thing: Pulling/pushing either paddle downshifts/upshifts. Also I noticed that the 335i will shift to the next gear at redline unlike the G37 which will allow you to bounce off the rev-limiter. Otherwise the sport modes are similar and the rev-match features work well on both cars....
Old 08-30-2010, 01:23 PM
cruzmisl

Oh, I forgot to mention. Our paint is a bit soft. Don't get black.

Quick Reply: New member and potential G37s buyer. Need YOUR feedback please!