G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New member and potential G37s buyer. Need YOUR feedback please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:35 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I read my last post. I can see where that could read like a really cheap shot. Not what I meant. Sorry.

I have been around BMW's since the late 1960's 2002. The line and the typical owner has, IMHO, changed a lot over the years. However, I didn't mean to say "stereotypical" as Top Gear might use it in reference to BMW drivers. More like demographic. From the OP's post, I think he prefers more torque over more HP. He doesn't seem concerned with price or standard equipment. He has also owned a 335, with apparently no regrets over dependability or resale value. So, he is IMHO, most likely to buy another BMW 3.
As a BMWCAA 10+ year pin holder, as well as a 30 year Nissan fan... The G is a nice car, and my choice. However, it is NA and a less expensive car than the 335, probably not the best match for the OP. I would humbly suggest the OP also test drive Nissan's GT-R... a turbo-six, more like the 335. IMHO, if he takes the GT-R for a test drive he won't want to give the keys back.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:15 PM
tag824

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey guys, I just want to let you know I'm not a BMW fanboy in anyway. As my lease was coming to an end I wanted to see what was available on the market and make sure I looked over all options on deciding what car to get next. I basically looked at the Ford Mustang GT, 370z, G37s and the Audi S5. MB was way too expensive. Acura's are ugly and front wheel drive; enough said. Lexus IS does not come in a coupe unless it's a convertible and its design is dated and the car overall doesn't handle well.

I needed my car to be a tiptronic automatic since 70% of my commute is on the streets. The Ford GT is an impressive vehicle not to frown down upon. If you don't believe me watch these two videos.

Super Coupes Drag Race! - 2011 Ford Mustang GT vs 2011 BMW M3 Coupe
Super Coupes Track Attack! - 2011 Ford Mustang GT vs 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

The automatic in the Ford is something straight out of the 90's. It's not tiptronic and doesn't have any paddle shifters let alone the +/- for manumatic shifting. That was the major reason I had to rule it out.

The 370z was a car I fell in love with. It looks awesome, sounds amazing and pulls and handles great. I had to give up a ton of stuff to even consider the 370z. No sunroof, no back seats, tiny trunk space and a bouncier ride. After conceding to all of that the one thing I could not compromise with was the noise level. The car is so damn noisy from the tires to the engine that I just couldn't deal with it. If it was as quite as the G37s I would have picked that sucker up without question.

So after reluctantly giving up the 370z I decided to check out the G37s. You know that it didn't meet what I was looking for from my review in this thread. Afterward I looked at the Audi S5, but it was $10k more than the 335i and does not handle as well and is just a tad bit faster in a straight line. So as you can see I eventually feel back to BMW.

Like I stated before, I'm looking forward to the next generation of the G coupe. If it has what I'm looking for I would not hesitate to jump into one. The GT-R is a hell of a car! I would pick one up in a heartbeat if it didn't cost $90k!
Old 09-08-2010, 11:29 AM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good read.

Exactly how I felt when I test drove both cars.
But in the end I chose the G because of the price.

You simply get more with the G at the same price range.

I do strongly consider BMW when my lease is up in 30 more months, but it will be largely depends on how the next gen 3 looks.