G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New member and potential G37s buyer. Need YOUR feedback please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Atlanta_G37S
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you have a 335i now dont jump to a g37s..you'll only be disappointed bro...just get the 335is
Old 08-30-2010, 02:39 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
He's looking to buy a car.

BMWs are not purchased for their reliability. If they are reliable that just ends up being a bonus to ownership.

I guess it depends on how he feels after test driving one. I personally think he'll enjoy it. But you did not go into detail on why you'll think he will be disappointed.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Atlanta_G37S
Banned

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
But you did not go into detail on why you'll think he will be disappointed.
list would be too long...he can pm me if he wants the formal list
Old 08-30-2010, 03:43 PM
tag824

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzmisl
I'd get a 2010. The 2011's with the new front bumper is kind of ugly.
How do you know it's ugly? There are no official pics of it yet.

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
I test drove an E92 335i a couple weeks ago and can compare the AT trannies. The BMW paddle shifters are different from the G37's. On our cars the left paddle downshifts and the right upshifts. The BMW has two paddles that essentially do the same thing: Pulling/pushing either paddle downshifts/upshifts. Also I noticed that the 335i will shift to the next gear at redline unlike the G37 which will allow you to bounce off the rev-limiter. Otherwise the sport modes are similar and the rev-match features work well on both cars....
I'm surprised it doesn't upshift automatically. The BMW basically has three modes. Regular Drive, Sport and then Manual Sport. In regular drive it's just an automatic. In Sport mode it holds gears longer in the full power band but it still upshifts/downshifts as needed. In Sport manual it will not change gears unless you blip it.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:51 PM
cruzmisl

Originally Posted by tag824
How do you know it's ugly? There are no official pics of it yet.
I was thinking of the 2011 IPL which had pics recently released (that whole package is gross). I'm guessing that the 2011 coupe gets the 2010 sedan front end, which is less offensive.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:40 AM
tag824

Just found this out today. I already saw the first four points from before for the 2011 models, but the scratch shield paint and two colors are a new announcement to me.

The 2011 Infiniti G37 Coupe goes on sale in November 2010.

Changes for 2011 include:

• Sport Package now offered on G37 Coupe AWD models
  • Navigation Package content now standard on G37 Coupe Sport 6MT
  • Revised front fascia design (Sport and non-Sport) with fog lights moved from inside the headlight to the lower fascia area
  • Revised 18-inch and 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheel designs
  • Standard Scratch Shield Paint on all models
  • Two new exterior colors: Malbec Black and Lapis Blue

Source
Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Lime37

1) the seat leather cracks and bubbles really easily (ive had my car for a little over a month and it has already cracked)
2) the gear changing in the AT when shifting manually is kinda slow (you can get a grounding kit which helps a little)
Old 09-01-2010, 03:01 AM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I drove my gf's 335 and my boss's 535, and let me tell you that those cars had 3 better qualities to them compared to the G37.

First, the steering felt better in the bimmers because I like that extra resistance that BMW has on their cars. I'm not sure about how much slack there is in the steering wheel, but I think there's a little less in the BMW (could be in my head).

Second, I noticed the seats felt better because they don't appear to have that bubbling issue that G's currently have and they seem to hug me a bit more. Granted I am short, but I do have a wide back and I still for some reason could not be hugged enough in the G37 Sport seats. In the G's defense, I didn't inflate the air bladders that are available on the sport seats, which I don't have on my current G. If you're short, you'll appreciate the BMW seats more because they also have shorter seats when the thigh extender is set to the shortest setting (for your thighs). I am barely tall enough to feel the end of the G's seat on the back of my knees, so I can't imagine what a shorter person would feel about the G's seats.

Third, the low end torque was a blast to drive in city areas. The G37 definitely lacks in the low end torque, so city driving often requires me to push the pedal down a bit further to get it moving. However, the G37 shines on the freeway and higher speed pulls.

One more thing is about the 7AT transmission. The paddle shifters shift pretty slow and I just can't figure out why the G37 has to shift like that when the 370Z doesn't. Grounding kits have been proposed to solve this problem, but there doesn't seem to be a 100% agreement on that. Also, the transmission likes to downshift on its own (especially if you're in automatic "sport" mode a.k.a. DS mode), so be weary of that. Often times, my passengers find themselves lurching forward if I apply the brakes a little aggressively because the transmission downshifts for me unexpectedly. I often find myself still trying to figure out how to "control" this feature of the transmission.

Someone in this forum said that driving the G37 is like riding a horse. I really believe that because there are times when I feel like I have to kinda work with the car a little so it won't downshift on its own instead of me having full control over how the transmission behaves. Keep in mind that I still love my car very much and I enjoy driving it, but these are just some of the observations that I noticed after driving the BMW's. I also wish I knew more about the transmission issues before I purchased the car because the test vehicles I drove didn't seem to have this happening too much. I did only drive those for 5 minutes because the dealers were being aholes, but just my $.02. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:37 AM
TexasGuy

I had a BMW 335i for two years and just recently sold it and bought a G37 Coupe. the BMW was MUCH more fun (i.e., responsive) to drive but the ride was very harsh with run-flat tires, sport suspension and 19" wheels. My G37 ride is much better (i.e., softer, less harsh). Also the BMW auto transmission was much smoother than my G37. There's also about a $10K price difference in like cars. Summary: if I was younger I'd still have the BMW - loved the car. But now in my 60's, the ride was too harsh for my liking.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:20 AM
tag824

Sounds like the leather is simply too soft and thin, hence the cracking and bubbling.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:22 AM
tag824

Originally Posted by TexasGuy
I had a BMW 335i for two years and just recently sold it and bought a G37 Coupe. the BMW was MUCH more fun (i.e., responsive) to drive but the ride was very harsh with run-flat tires, sport suspension and 19" wheels. My G37 ride is much better (i.e., softer, less harsh). Also the BMW auto transmission was much smoother than my G37. There's also about a $10K price difference in like cars. Summary: if I was younger I'd still have the BMW - loved the car. But now in my 60's, the ride was too harsh for my liking.
RFT suck. First thing I did was swap them out for non-RTF's and I had 19" wheels. It was a better ride then the stock 18's with RFT.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:23 AM
tag824

Well let me start off by saying I had a very interesting test drive today with the worst sales man ever. I mean really, the worst. He told a guy who works for him while getting the keys to the G37 Sport “you f***ing idiot, not now”. When I was asking how the NAV works he said to me "you’re not listening". My friend who came along said to me on the side “this guys just a d**k”, LOL. The salesman was rude the entire time.

After the test drive he goes “Listen, give me 2g's and we'll order this up for you right now.” I told him “I want to wait and see what the 2011 look like”. He says to me “They look the same, no change”. I said to him “actually, there’s a facelift for the 2011 models”. He replies “no, there isn’t one. Those are all marketers trying to keep you fiddling your thumbs”. I looked at him like he was an idiot and said “oh really, because the official Nissan press release says there is a facelift for 2011. So are you telling me Nissan is lying?” And this douche says “yeah, they are lying. It’s all marketing”. I wanted to yell get the F**K out of here idiot, but instead I turned my back on him and walked away. I've never dealt with such a douche salesman ever before. I don’t know how this idiot is allowed to represent Infiniti or the dealership.

Anyway onto my thoughts of the car. Everyone who said it doesn’t compare vs. the bimmer was right. The low end torque isn’t there like it is on my car and I found myself missing it more than I thought I would. The G37 Sport Coupe handles well but of course not as good as the bimmer. I found the car to have more body roll and the car didn’t feel as solid as the bimmer. I did notice the odd shifting on the automatic that some were referring to and found it extremely annoying as it abruptly jerks on a downshift. It wasn't as prevalent with the VDC turned off but still there nonetheless. I did enjoy the sound of the car’s engine at WOT but the thing I could not get over is that it didn’t pull anywhere near as hard as my bimmer does.

The interior was better than what I expected and overall the seats were comfortable and I liked the automatic steering adjustments, NAV, etc. One thing that I found annoying in the cabin was the center consoles armrest, IMO it’s way too high. I thought it should be at least 3” lower because when resting my arm on it and driving it kept my arm raised too high not giving me the optimal driving position to make turns without it getting in the way, etc. There were some blind spots that I didn’t expect so chaining lanes was a little more cumbersome. When I got back to the dealership I couldn’t believe the stink from the car since I was WOT about 40% of the drive. The trunk was roughly half the size of my bimmer which I found odd since the rear leg room is less than my bimmer.

Overall I think the G37 is an excellent car for the $$$. It was hands down the closest thing to my bimmer then any other car I’ve driven so hats off to Infiniti for that. Fun habits are hard to break I suppose. I’m so use to my car performance wise that I can’t find myself in the G. The car simply didn’t excite me like the bimmer does. When I test drove the 370z it excited me more, but it’s a pure sports car with limited room and is LOUD on the road. Maybe in the future when Infiniti improves on the G I can find myself in one. Sure, the bimmer cost more and some would argue it doesn’t look that nice or it’s not worth the extra $$$. Who am I to say they are wrong? To each his own. But to me I love the looks and performance of the bimmer and it’s my car of choice.

I just want to say thanks everyone for your input, thoughts and comments. You were all extremely helpful.

Best regards,
Tag
Old 09-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
TAG824 After reading your post, and having an understanding of the stereotypical owner / leaser of today's BMW, I feel certain a BMW is the right fit for you.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:48 PM
tag824

mmmk
Old 09-06-2010, 11:50 PM
cruzmisl

I think he was kidding.

Anyway, too bad the G wasn't for you. The 3 series is undoubtedly a nice car. The standard in the class it invented. BMW dealerships are usually a lot better too. Infiniti's are really just nicer looking Nissan dealerships with the same class of sales staff.

I'm glad there are more affordable alternatives because that's what I can open my wallet for I'm also hoping the current G is as reliable as the one before. Something I couldn't say about my Bimmer and wanted to avoid--of course, you don't buy those cars for their reliability

Good luck with your 3 or your new one!

Quick Reply: New member and potential G37s buyer. Need YOUR feedback please!