G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Design Improvements... Is Infiniti Listening??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 04:23 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
This being the first Infiniti I have owned, I am in love with the car overall. I guess I would agree with some of the suggestions regarding power and the clutch. I think 350-375 HP should suffice from the factory in a car this size with torque somewhere in the same area. Boost the MPG a little to say at least 30. The clutch is a monster and I think the engagement area is a little sketchy. Refine the clutch to reduce the "I just learned to drive stick" feel and I'd be happy. OH wait, make the exhaust note more audible, the G35 sounds so much nicer IMO than the 37. I have a 37S and it does sound awesome, but I feel the 35 sounds a little louder and a little deeper.

350-375 HP
350-375 ft/lbs Torque
AND a minimum of 30 MPG

That's pretty optimistic, what does that compete with? and at what price point? I don't even think that is feasible without some sort of hybrid engine.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:36 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
350-375 HP
350-375 ft/lbs Torque
AND a minimum of 30 MPG

That's pretty optimistic, what does that compete with? and at what price point? I don't even think that is feasible without some sort of hybrid engine.
Well the M35 gets that (not sure about the torque), they combine the electric with the gas for 360hp and 5.3 0-60 (in the heavier M) plus good mileage.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Well the M35 gets that (not sure about the torque), they combine the electric with the gas for 360hp and 5.3 0-60 (in the heavier M) plus good mileage.

I can see those numbers if everyone agrees they want a hybrid powertrain. The Q50 hybrid also makes 360hp, undetermined amount of torque, 29 combined MPG's, and 60 miles an hour comes in a blistering 4.9 seconds.

With that being said, I feel like you would really hurt the "mod friendly" factor of the car. Having an exhaust on a car that cuts to all electric may be a turn off for some... or most. There is also the cost factor. The Q50 hybrid BASE MSRP is $44,300 in RWD and $46,100 in AWD and the sedans are historically less expensive than their coupe counterpart. I do agree with you that it is possible, I am just not convinced it's Infiniti's best option, at least not as an only trim.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
I don't see how Infiniti could be listening. I'm really not a fan of the new Q50 "look". It feels to me like a cross between the G and M. I want a "sport sedan". No watered down version of it. My opinion, at least. All the technical data means absolutely nothing if the car has lost the "look". It seems like the other auto manufacturers are stepping up to the sportier look while Infiniti has moved away from it. For the price we got a nice vehicle that can perform well. I've been reading posts on the Q50 and for the most part people are unimpressed with the latest creation. I saw a few post that the new Q lacks SOUL. I'd have to agree, and I am disappointed by it. I sure hope they get something better, sleeker, and around the $50k price range before I seek another vehicle.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:40 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
I can see those numbers if everyone agrees they want a hybrid powertrain. The Q50 hybrid also makes 360hp, undetermined amount of torque, 29 combined MPG's, and 60 miles an hour comes in a blistering 4.9 seconds.

With that being said, I feel like you would really hurt the "mod friendly" factor of the car. Having an exhaust on a car that cuts to all electric may be a turn off for some... or most. There is also the cost factor. The Q50 hybrid BASE MSRP is $44,300 in RWD and $46,100 in AWD and the sedans are historically less expensive than their coupe counterpart. I do agree with you that it is possible, I am just not convinced it's Infiniti's best option, at least not as an only trim.
I agree ... when I was buying my M I first was very interested in getting the hybrid. My mechanic said take a look at the cost difference vs the estimated gas savings. I wasn't looking for all out performance, the M isn't that car. Based on the math I did the break even was about 8 years, then I would be stuck with 8 year old batteries. I passed on the hybrid and 5.9 0-60 in a heavy M isn't too shabby. The 3.7 is a pretty old engine design now .... I'm sure Infiniti can offer something very refreshing ... if not I think a lot of prior buyers might look elsewhere.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:27 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
I agree ... when I was buying my M I first was very interested in getting the hybrid. My mechanic said take a look at the cost difference vs the estimated gas savings. I wasn't looking for all out performance, the M isn't that car. Based on the math I did the break even was about 8 years, then I would be stuck with 8 year old batteries. I passed on the hybrid and 5.9 0-60 in a heavy M isn't too shabby. The 3.7 is a pretty old engine design now .... I'm sure Infiniti can offer something very refreshing ... if not I think a lot of prior buyers might look elsewhere.
You made the informed decision. A lot of people get so wrapped up in the "emotional" numbers like horsepower, torque, and MPGs that they forget about reality. Reality is that you get less cargo room, value, and reliability in car that is designed to have these as strengths.

When Infiniti puts together a reliable turbocharged engine with direct injection I would hope for a slight uptick in performance and MPGs, but I wouldn't want these numbers to increase from a hybrid engine.