G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Design Improvements... Is Infiniti Listening??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:57 PM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by obgbinob
Improve the OEM tires, the Bridgestones are crap.
All Infiniti models (except for the last gen QX I think) are made in Japan and Bridgestone is "local".
Old 09-01-2010, 10:05 PM
iwasgointo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
One of the selling features of the G is the long wheelbase.

Otherwise you should have just bought a loaded 370z.
They could knock 3 or 4 inches off the wheelbase and it would still be long, but then would there be room for a spare tire? I still want that.

I suppose their is no realistic way to get meaningful weight reduction since the car has a good bit of heavy sound absorbing material.

The 370z is too "boy racer" with it's arcade game looking dash and the goofy chrome door handles. Why didn't they make the door handles body color? Although, I must say the seatbelt is designed the way the Infiniti should be, but isn't. Many owners complain that it's a pretty noisy car.

Anyway, fix the seatbelts, the seat bolsters, and the clutch and I'll be a happy camper. Anything else I can modify myself.

The latest Porsche Carrera is the most comfortable sports car I've driven, but the price is uncomfortable.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:47 AM
dantris2010

I own a sedan but the same applies...

Interior features:
1) Improve noise deadening and/or add noise cancellation into the sound system. Thinking of GTI when writing this...there is virtually very little wind and tire noise in that car!!

2) Add seat ventilation/cooling to all models and not just the convertible

3) Fix the quirky AC system that you constantly have to adjust - because it either blasts freezing air which forces you to turn the temp or having to suffocate in a bit cooler evenings by being over-roasted with warm air.

4) As others have mentioned: add felt/foam to cupholders and sunglass holder

Exterior:
1) Right hand side mirror auto-down on reverse - this already exists in Japanese market- why wasn't it brought here???? I keep scratching my wheel when parking.

2) Auto-dimming exterior mirrors

Performance:
1) Make the steering wheel fatter (is it my imagination or g35 wheel is a bit fatter???)

2) Make the steering effort more heftier and linear as in G35. It really gives you so much more feeling of the control.

3) Put dual clutch in instead of automatic. This will take care of so many things it will be just mind boggling. First of all it will improve efficiency and thus mileage. Second of all it will remove auto torque converter lag and make the upshifts much faster. Third , as I understand the dual clutch is lighter and thus it will allow to save weight which alone will improve power to weight ratio.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:40 PM
AKG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't think it's been mentioned yet but the dash lid design is not very good.

The top and sides of the cluster lid starts to peel around the buttons for the trip computer. I've already had it replaced in my 2009 and others have had the same issue.
Hopefuly they are still not using tape to hold this part down for the 2011's...
Not acceptable for a car in this price bracket!

Picture source: http://image9.autorevo.com/2864/pics...af25f7558d.jpg
Old 01-28-2014, 10:45 PM
welshg37owner

Cheap interior quality that ages badly marred ownership for me. I am going to BMW or Range rover next time.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 PM
desairs

Originally Posted by welshg37owner
Cheap interior quality that ages badly marred ownership for me. I am going to BMW or Range rover next time.
I don't think the interior is cheaply made at all. In fact BMW is one of the cheapest feeling ****tiest interiors on the planet.

Anyways as far as button peeling goes, I had an A6 and that thing had the same problem. Mercedes does and so does every other brand. Once the car is old and a spot has been constantly touched. It peels.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:22 PM
Pnrymmf
Premier Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
my 05 g35 coupe felt more put together and had better incabin exhaust sound.
agree the paint isnt as good as could be and definitely better gas. i never understood how BMW gets their performance and much better gas mileage. also dont have to change oil as often. Is it better filters or what??
I love my G but if we could all get a couple of these items and still price it just at or above currently it would be a new revolution like the Z and Rx7 was. IMO
Old 01-29-2014, 04:40 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by welshg37owner
Good luck with that Range Rover
Old 01-29-2014, 05:11 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
My only real complaint about the Infiniti vehicles is the paint being "fragile". Small road sand shouldn't pit the paint on the bumper. My F150 has seen mostly highway miles (75K) and only has a few minor pits from road debris.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by Pnrymmf
my 05 g35 coupe felt more put together and had better incabin exhaust sound.
agree the paint isnt as good as could be and definitely better gas. i never understood how BMW gets their performance and much better gas mileage. also dont have to change oil as often. Is it better filters or what??
I love my G but if we could all get a couple of these items and still price it just at or above currently it would be a new revolution like the Z and Rx7 was. IMO

Synthetic oil that is stretched out to 15k mile service intervals.

Why?

Because BMW says 15k is the interval and that means they only pay for a handful of "free" oil changes under their included maintenance plan.

If you want an oil change before a 15k interval, or after your maintenance plan (4yrs/50k), be ready to take out your wallet if your going to the dealership.

I believe the BMW branded Castrol oil goes for about $12/quart and their oil filters are in the $20 ballpark... plus labor...

The gas mileage/performance answer is direct injection and turbocharging. Everything has drawbacks though as this can reduce reliability (more parts and complex systems). I'm sure no one has ever heard of a BMW needing service.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:52 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
I would never push synthetic changes out to 15k .... I set the interval to 3500 miles, and try to get it done by 5k miles, always synthetic. I have owned a lot of cars (boats, motorcycles and dune buggy too) over a lot of years and have always done it this way since synthetic first came out. My cars averaged around 150-180k miles on them, ran great and didn't burn a drop of oil when I got rid of them (10-12 years). Overkill?, perhaps but it's cheap insurance and I have experienced the results. Yeck, my Suzuki Jeep with the weeny 1.2L didn't burn a drop of oil with 140k miles on it.

Last edited by 2008G-Man; 01-30-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:43 AM
Pnrymmf
Premier Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
yeah i was one of those guys that got burned on the Audi 1.8T back in 2000. I had a a4 quattro. loved the car. changed the oil like i was suppose to but at abt 50,000 miles it suddenly started to run rough then stopped. turned out there was a huge design flaw in that engine and i had to by a new one and turbo ($8500). i sent a letter but nothing. well about 2 years ago i get this letter and there was a class action suit. if you had your receipts you got 100% refund if not 50%. i had sold the car years before but tend to hold on. was able to get the money back. Every since that happened i have used Synthetic oil. was really odd to open the oil cap and see black speggetti. not what you want for dinner or car.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Varjo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
More low end torque, top end seems fine.
Seat quality leather.
Eliminate some rattles (especially the cold weather windshield one).
Better exterior paint quality.
Improve clutch on 6mt and throttle lag + shift times on 7AT.
Two stage VDC so we can be more aggressive without totally giving it up.
Android integration as well as apple.
Backup camera washer (this is pretty minor, but has been a pet peeve of mine).
Old 01-30-2014, 12:25 PM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
more low end torque...
easier clutch engagement ( I have more of an ease driving a stage 3 clutch in a turbo civic)....
insulation in the cup holders...
Hill assist (I do live on an island...) My friend BMW has it and its very practical for when you got to stop on the hill...
Old 01-30-2014, 12:26 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
This being the first Infiniti I have owned, I am in love with the car overall. I guess I would agree with some of the suggestions regarding power and the clutch. I think 350-375 HP should suffice from the factory in a car this size with torque somewhere in the same area. Boost the MPG a little to say at least 30. The clutch is a monster and I think the engagement area is a little sketchy. Refine the clutch to reduce the "I just learned to drive stick" feel and I'd be happy. OH wait, make the exhaust note more audible, the G35 sounds so much nicer IMO than the 37. I have a 37S and it does sound awesome, but I feel the 35 sounds a little louder and a little deeper.

Quick Reply: Design Improvements... Is Infiniti Listening??