G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Design Improvements... Is Infiniti Listening??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 03:51 PM
AustinG35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
The biggest enemy of the current G37 is weight. They need to go back to a smaller, smoother engine (possibly with FI) and really contain the weight. 300 hp is plenty in a 3200 lb car. If this car lost 500 lbs it would EAT 335i's....
I was surprised that I had to get to the second page before anyone mentioned weight reduction, which is a win-win for everyone (quicker, more fuel efficient, etc.)
I do not own a G37, but am very familiar with them, I think 330-350hp is more than sufficient just reduce the weight by about 500lbs (which I had read an article a couple of years ago that all of Nissan is planning to reduce weight by 15% across all of their platforms by 2012-2015.

For the folks complaining about the paint quality, the reality is that EVERY manufacturer has had to change their paint process to meet new EPA guidelines since 2003ish. I would love to see Nissan at least offer clearcoat for ALL of their colors, not just the metallic paints. Their single stage paints like Black and Red are a bitch to keep scratch free over several years.

I would like to see the synch-rev matching manual transmission from the 370z offered in the G37 6mt.

Direct injection would be great, but have read that until they can figure out how to reduce all the premature carbon build-up that they are seeing in current direct injection engines, it may be something that will be on the back burner for several more years.

Smoother transmission. I'm used to the slight vibration of my '04 G35 6mt, but it doesn't compare the the silky smooth transmission of a BMW.

As a couple of upgrade options, how about offering some of the digital dial readouts like the GTR and older Skylines offered?
Old 08-28-2010, 03:10 PM
AUC2MIC

CLUTCH!!!

Jerky, loud, replacement needed far too early

Even if 6mt was an afterthought, at least don't make it so obvious
Old 08-28-2010, 04:32 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
it needs way more torque/hp.
no way is it going to get lighter,i know the g35 coupe & 37 coupe is like 400lbs heavier.
that was due to the steel beams in the door for side impact.
we should have some factory performance options.
ever since I have seen the nissan patrol/gtr's nissan knows f/i.
a dual clutch would improve shifting.
how about a panoramic roof like the maxima.
a better sound system + optional factory subwoofer's.
body kits,more paint options / like a blacked out grill with headlights.
and a tunable ecu for gods sake.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:25 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinG35
For the folks complaining about the paint quality, the reality is that EVERY manufacturer has had to change their paint process to meet new EPA guidelines since 2003ish. I would love to see Nissan at least offer clearcoat for ALL of their colors, not just the metallic paints. Their single stage paints like Black and Red are a bitch to keep scratch free over several years.
There is really no excuse for poor quality paint. If meeting new EPA requirement is the reason for the cheap paint, how come other manufacturers still able to produce cars with quality paint?
Old 08-28-2010, 07:01 PM
obgbinob

Great thread.

A lot of good suggestions.

Current HP and torque are ok for me.

The MT clutch needs to be improved, needs consistent engagement.

Improve the OEM tires, the Bridgestones are crap.

The interior limitations for the MT need to be eliminated. I'd like to see a wood steering wheel, wood trim options, and any color choice and vented seats.

Most of all, customer service for reliability problems needs improvement. Dealer had my car for a solid month to fix an SES light issues. Other than telling me they replaced the O2 sensors, they would not provide a list of things done to the car during the 4 week stay in the dealer's garage. Not acceptable.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:12 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by obgbinob
Improve the OEM tires, the Bridgestones are crap.
Even Honda Accord come with Michelin tires. What is Infiniti thinking?
Old 08-28-2010, 09:29 PM
G Nack 37s

base model and S model shouldn't have the same hp/tq. more trunk space is a must. Can barely fit my cleaning supply's and tool. lose 250-500 pounds. more throttle response, A supercharger doesn't hurt. More tq than hp would be lovely.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:39 PM
CoyoteDore

The front end/fascia on the Anniversary and new IPL looks horrible; really takes away from the attractive styling of the car. Hate to see them mess up a good thing and scares me for the next major change for this otherwise great looking coupe.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Alvin

Originally Posted by auc2mic
clutch!!!

Jerky, loud, replacement needed far too early

even if 6mt was an afterthought, at least don't make it so obvious
plus one!
Old 08-29-2010, 08:36 PM
tokyo_gaijin

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
The M3 has a DSG but the regular coupe, sedan, and convertible just have regular 6 speed automatics and manuals.

not anymore , mate. i think almost entire lineup of bmw is getting the 7speed DSG option.
As a matter of fact, the sales dude tried to push me the 2010 335i with 7speed DSG and twin scroll turbo. Too bad it was about 2.5 times more expensive than i payed for my G.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 PM
aexis

Originally Posted by tokyo_gaijin
not anymore , mate. i think almost entire lineup of bmw is getting the 7speed DSG option.
As a matter of fact, the sales dude tried to push me the 2010 335i with 7speed DSG and twin scroll turbo. Too bad it was about 2.5 times more expensive than i payed for my G.
2010/2011 335i coupe has a 6 speed automatic. The 335is has the 7speed dual clutch and costs about 50k+ base, at least in the US.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:49 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tokyo_gaijin
Like the guy above said, only the M3, M5 and 335iS car have the 7 speed DSG. All other BMWs have regular automatics.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:43 AM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Give me back the voice commands you took away with that stupid 2008 nav "update"
Old 09-01-2010, 05:45 PM
iwasgointo

They need to redesign the seatbelt so it doesn't dig into my neck, plus the spring pressure is too high.

The lowest setting for the seat bolsters should be less confining, then if you expect to be driving aggressively you have the option of increasing the bolstering.

Of course, the clutch action needs work.

Since the back seat is nearly useless for normal sized passengers, they should reduce the legroom even further. This way they can make the car shorter and lighter. To me, the backseat is really just additional space for a couple of small suitcases or packages in a pinch. That's probably how Porsche sees it with the 911.

Last edited by iwasgointo; 09-01-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
One of the selling features of the G is the long wheelbase.

Otherwise you should have just bought a loaded 370z.

Quick Reply: Design Improvements... Is Infiniti Listening??