Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Loose rear view mirror in hot weather

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 01:30 PM
brycerocket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loose rear view mirror in hot weather

I recently got my windshield replaced (cracked) with PGW oem glass. I've been noticing that the mirror is loose and moves a lot during driving when I leave my car in the sun during hot weather. During normal temperatures or after letting the air condition running, it is perfectly fine. The one screw that holds the mirror in place is tight and secure. Is there anything I can do short of having the glass replaced? Also, I've noticed that in one area the top black trim above the windshield is depressed a bit (I can see a bit of the glass edge) - those that have had their windshield replaced, is this not uncommon? Thanks!
Old 08-19-2010, 02:49 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can have the person that replaced your windshield replace the adhesive that is holding the rear view mirror up. My mirror would not hold after I replaced the windshield, so he replaced the adhesive and now it's fine.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:41 PM
cnagy65

I also had my windshield replaced a few weeks ago. My mirror was loose, but I just turned the screw a bit and now its fine. On another note, Have you noticed extra wind noise with the new windshield, (They also used the same brand you got)
Old 08-19-2010, 09:53 PM
brycerocket

I haven't noticed any extra wind noise. However, they did do a really thorough job removing most of the trim rather than just sliding it into place. I called up the glass repair company and they're coming out tomorrow to take a look. I'll keep you all posted with what happens.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:45 PM
brycerocket

Here are pics comparing the glass fitment on both sides.

left side:
Loose rear view mirror in hot weather-leftside.jpg

right side:
Loose rear view mirror in hot weather-rightside.jpg
Old 08-19-2010, 11:00 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
is that left = passenger and right = driver?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:07 AM
brycerocket

sorry mixed it up - the first pic is right and the second is left
Old 08-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Calgarywinger

Same exact thing happened to me in the FX. Got a new windshield (OEM) and a week later the mirror started to wobble. I tightened the set-screw but it turned out to be the mounting plate ungluing. Went back to the windshield shop where the guy re-glued the plate. He said they'd seen this a lot with Infiniti OEM windshields but as they can't get after-market glass we're stuck with the OEM ones.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:32 PM
brycerocket

Thanks Calgarywinger for the response.

The repair guys came over and took a look at the mirror. They were super puzzled how it could wiggle, since it was pretty solid (of course, since it was in cold weather most of the morning). However, they were pretty nice about it and said they would fix it if and/or when it fell off. Concerning the bubbling, they said that this was not uncommon for oem glass like pgw. They did mention how they remove the included plastic/rubber edge wrap off the glass in favor of keeping the original one from Infiniti. Apparently the aftermarket plastic doesn't quite look the same and can lead to additional wind noise.

Given those responses, sort of a mixed satisfaction of having my concerns resolved. However, for the mirror I'll see if it gets worse, and for the glass I'll just accept that as a fact of oem life. The guy did say the next time I broke my glass he would replace it for free (no deductible or insurance involved) and with original glass from Infiniti (apparently insurance companies will not approve the extra expense for this, which is why we're stuck with PGW and other oem's).
Old 08-22-2010, 07:17 PM
obgbinob

Had the windshield replaced in my 08 last week - crack started as a star then ran across the windshield in a few hours. Never seen that happen so quickly before.

Anyway, the review mirror vibrated for a few minutes when first got the car back. Hasn't vibrated again since.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:07 PM
ak47
Banned

i replaced my windshield to i took my rear view mirrow off and sealed it with crazy glue works really good but just do it slowly and ull be good. go around the endge of the mount 2 times. wait 2 hrs and the remount the mirrow boom its done and doesnt move anymore.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:32 PM
amv1017

The exact same thing happens to my mirror after i had the winshield replaced. When its hot it shakes but after it cools it stops. Had the windshield repair guy loosen the screw and tighten it again but its still the same.