Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Engine Ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:03 AM
911turbo
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
is the ticking anything bad for the engine? or just annoying? im fine with payin the dealer to do my changes, but im just making sure nothing is up with the engine
Old 08-15-2010, 08:52 AM
obgbinob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
911Turbo - Because you are having the dealer perform your oil changes you are in a better position to find a resolution to your issue. Suggest that you go to the dealer and explain your concern. Tell the dealer that you know there is a TSB for a similar issue on '08s.

TSBs are typically created due to a problem demonstrated in vehicles delivered to customers. It may be that the problem is becoming evident in '09s. I believe you need to push the dealer a bit and call Infiniti consumer affairs. Be firm and calm and you'll put pressure on them.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
another thing to add is our engine runs pretty hot even in N/A applications. our cars should've came with synthetic oil to begin with. the conventional oil may not be good enough to cool our engines.

when i experienced my first ticking it was a very hot day and i had to blast my A/C, that's when i hear the ticking noise. after you restart your car can you hear it again?
Old 08-15-2010, 11:43 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think the ticking is actually damaging your engine though. Some people probably never even realize its doing it and have never gotten it fixed. If it bothers you though then get some ester oil for it. My local Nissan dealer actually sells it comparable to a synthetic change so its about $70....
Old 08-16-2010, 09:34 AM
mossman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,

Not sure if this is related. I have a ticking in my 08 Sedan. I could hear it outside the car at idle. I really heard it as an echo when I am pulling away from a tool both or in a garage etc. It stops as soon as I go above 1k rpm.

Brought it to dealer. They could easily hear it in their drive through service bay. They said it was a cracked fan belt, changed under warranty. Went out to get the car and heard the same noise as soon as I started. I brought the service guy out with the mechanic and they both heard it. Mechanic got under the car and said it was the butterfly valve in my exhaust pipe (Y pipe). They ordered the part and it is being changed in a few weeks. The butterfly pipe controls back pressure at idle.

I would suggest you guys put your head under the side of the car, for example under the drivers door. Then it is easy to tell if that's the problem. As soon as I did that it was easy to tell that was the source of the noise. Until you do that, it does sound like it is coming from the engine.