Sponsored By:

Whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:50 AM
fcarpio

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Whining noise

Hello everyone,
Maybe some of you can help me out before I take my car to the dealership. Yesterday and today I've had a whining noise in my car as I pull into my work parking lot. It is not loud but it is noticeable. The noise seems to be coming from the dashboard behind the gauges towards the left side. the sound it definitely not coming from the radio because I noticed the sound after I turned it off. So I did a quick test by turning the car off and turning it back on. When I turned the car off the noise went away, and when I turned it back on it did not come back. I did manage to record the noise on my iPhone just to catch it because I know it will not be there when I take it to the dealership.

Any ideas as to what it could be? I could email the sound file if someone is interested.

EDIT: I just posted the YouTube link below, or you can click here.

Last edited by fcarpio; 08-12-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:58 AM
DmfG37sTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it only happening when you pull into your work parking lot??
Old 08-12-2010, 08:14 AM
fcarpio

Here is what I recorded with my iPhone:

YouTube - G37 whining noise

You may have to crank it a little after I shut up.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 AM
fcarpio

Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
So far it has happened only twice, yesterday and today. I usually play music on my long commute and turn it down as I get closer to work, at that point is when I have noticed the noise but as far as I know it may have been there for a while.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:34 PM
fcarpio

No takers? Is my problem that unique?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:42 PM
DmfG37sTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no clue what on earth could be making that noise. Ive looked on google and other search engines for similar problems but came up with nothing. Ill try giving one of the infiniti techs a call later today and see what they say.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:44 PM
fcarpio

I have no clue what on earth could be making that noise. Ive looked on google and other search engines for similar problems but came up with nothing. Ill try giving one of the infiniti techs a call later today and see what they say.
Were the Infiniti techs able to tell you anything? My car is at the dealership now but I doubt they will be able to replicate the noise, as they have to drive it for a long while then listen for it. The recording has very low volume (iPhone) but it was a lot louder than that in person. I was able to hear it over the radio with the volume at 5 bars while driving slowly in the parking lot.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:57 PM
G37SBS
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
is your bluetooth connected at that time? if so try it with bluetooth off next time.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you must have a Supercharger in there lol
Old 08-13-2010, 01:34 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
i wonder if our cars have an "asl" like system (reference to lexus). you SURE it's not coming from the speakers? when you open the hood, does it get noticeably louder? it can't be any sort of belt (chain)..........................................i t can't be the power steering (o-rings) if it's isolated to the front left driver side vent........................................
does the noise by chance get worse when you lock your doors? unlock your doors? roll the window up and down? if that's the case...could be the motor modulator? ....sorry man, no clue??? keep us posted!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:17 AM
fcarpio

Originally Posted by G37SBS
is your bluetooth connected at that time? if so try it with bluetooth off next time.
My bluetooth has been connected for three years, and this has just started a few days ago. I will try it anyway and hopefully I can isolate the noise.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:17 AM
fcarpio

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
you must have a Supercharger in there lol
Right, I wish.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:20 AM
fcarpio

Originally Posted by eksigned
i wonder if our cars have an "asl" like system (reference to lexus). you SURE it's not coming from the speakers? when you open the hood, does it get noticeably louder? it can't be any sort of belt (chain)..........................................i t can't be the power steering (o-rings) if it's isolated to the front left driver side vent........................................
does the noise by chance get worse when you lock your doors? unlock your doors? roll the window up and down? if that's the case...could be the motor modulator? ....sorry man, no clue??? keep us posted!
This is good, I will mess with all these things the next time I heard it. Why didn't I think of that before?

Anyway, my car is still at the dealership and I know they have taken it for one drive and they did not find anything (off course). they will take it for another drive later on today but I am sure they will not get the noise.

Oh, well. At least thanks to your post I know what to do the next time I hear it.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Tainui

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

I think you need a new job and the whining will stop!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:00 PM
fcarpio

It turns out that there is and ECU and Cruise Control software update. The dealer thinks that may have been the culprit. I will pick up my car later this afternoon, we'll see...

Quick Reply: Whining noise