Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

stalling...how bad is it for your car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:36 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's just nice to see another person buying a manual transmission G...and a female, no less. I remember an ex-girlfriend who drove a 5-speed manual Maxima. She was a hottie, but the fact that she drove a manual somehow made her even hotter. LOL
Old 08-09-2010, 05:40 PM
DmfG37sTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A girl who knows how to drive a manual pretty much knows her ****. A strong girl who knows what she likes and doesnt like playing around and get straight to buisiness. My kind of chick
Old 08-09-2010, 08:29 PM
jryanp

thanks everyone! i love this forum, so helpful!
i feel better now!

i think because i was stalling a lot, later i was scared to let off the clutch too fast, and since the engagement point is higher up, i would just keep giving gas and not move anywhere... not used to the coordination yet hahha.
the more i didn't move, my right foot automatically wanted to push the gas pedal more, but left foot wasn't letting of the clutch enough....

i've gotten better at it, but now i noticed i have trouble turning and shifting at the same time LOL. seriously need to work on the coordination...

also, did anyone else ever feel like before you get the chance to let off the clutch from being in 1st, it's already time to shift to 2nd?? i'm probably letting go of the clutch too late...but i'm scared to stall...

but overall, i have to say, i'm glad i got the 6mt, bc i'm having fun learning to drive it!
Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Your description sounds like you may be burning the clutch with your technique. Practice letting the pedal out with NO gas like MSCA suggested.

And yes, 1st gear is pretty short. 2nd is too a little bit. That's just how the car is geared.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:57 AM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
the G's is definitely one of the more difficult cars to learn on; this is also my first 6mt car. i have to say though, driving other cars after learning on the G is SIMPLE. stalling won't hurt it - believe me, i asked numerous times, simply because i was having the same issue. good luck!
Old 08-10-2010, 04:10 AM
6mtg37s
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Yea it does sound like your burning the clutch, dont be scared to let go of it after your rolling around 5 mph, or 800ish rpm.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:50 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jryanp

i've gotten better at it, but now i noticed i have trouble turning and shifting at the same time LOL. seriously need to work on the coordination...
Here's another tip-- In most cases, you shouldn't be making a turn AND shifting at the same time. As an example, if you're driving through your neighborhood and you need to make a right turn up ahead, downshift (into 2nd gear in this example) just before you make your turn. You want to be in the lower gear and ready to accelerate before you even start to turn the steering wheel. Trust me on this....when you really get the hang of driving a manual transmission, you'll start to learn how to blip the throttle and allow engine braking to work with your brakes as you downshift before going into a turn. It takes a while to learn this and I'm probably getting way ahead here, but it all starts with learning how to select the proper gear and how to apply it going into turns.

Anyway, it's all part of the driving experience you get when you own a manual transmission car. Have fun!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:19 AM
jryanp

thanks again everyone
ok, so i don't really stall anymore, and i do less of that clutch burning in 1st gear from a stop

i loveeee my car! and i love driving it!! it's so fun haha. i always find reasons to go out and drive it. i have to drop it off at the dealer's to get the midnight black grille installed (it didn't come in when the car came in), but i don't want to part with it hahaha

hmm, so ok let's say you need to make a turn from a stop. mid-turn it sounds like i should shift to 2nd... am i right? so do i shift mid turn? or just wait until i finish turning?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:17 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Wait until you are really proficient driving MT. Until then, just slow down and accelerat/shift after your turn. Once you really know how to drive stick it will be second nature to you and it will be completely natural. You won't even have to think about it at all. Practice. Take it slow.

It's great that you're having so much fun with tour new car.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:21 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
jryanp,
just a few tips for you that someone passed on to me.

Never hold the car on a hill with the clutch by balancing the it and throttle. Use the brakes - that's what they're for. Once again, never do this.

Don't ride the clutch.

Don't start out in second gear - use first gear, that's what it's for.

Do not over rev the engine and slowly slip the clutch when starting out. This is one method of riding the clutch. Use as few RPMs as possible to get the car going. And don't hold the clutch partially engaged too long while doing this.

Don't sit at a light with your transmission in gear and your foot depressing the clutch pedal to the floor. If you are going to be there for more than just a quite moment, put the transmission into neutral and get your foot off of the clutch.

Never rest your foot on the clutch pedal while driving.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:28 PM
AUC2MIC

Downshift to second BEFORE entering the turn... not during and preferably not after