#5 Most Stolen Car in America???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:22 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
yeah that sounds fishy...I'll believe it when I see it somewhere reputable
Research it for yourself. You can't hotwire a modern car...you can't "steal" the fob codes out of mid air....you basically have two options: 1-steal the key or 2-tow it away.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:28 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
Research it for yourself. You can't hotwire a modern car...you can't "steal" the fob codes out of mid air....you basically have two options: 1-steal the key or 2-tow it away.
I never said it was happening everywhere, but it IS possible to "steal" the key fob's signal.

Read this article: Researchers say they've hacked car door locks - The Red Tape Chronicles - msnbc.com (yes I know it's a bit dated, all I'm saying is that it IS in fact possible)

It may not be something that is a huge threat now but it is definitely something to keep an eye on. Personally (mostly out of convenience) my FOB never leaves my pocket, I just use the door button
Old 08-03-2010, 03:42 PM
MSCA
Banned

I never said it was happening everywhere, but it IS possible to "steal" the key fob's signal.

Read this article: Researchers say they've hacked car door locks - The Red Tape Chronicles - msnbc.com (yes I know it's a bit dated, all I'm saying is that it IS in fact possible)

It may not be something that is a huge threat now but it is definitely something to keep an eye on. Personally (mostly out of convenience) my FOB never leaves my pocket, I just use the door button
Looks like we have two similar threads going at the same time.

Read this Snopes article:

snopes.com: Code Grabbers and Remote Keyless Entry

No worries about someone stealing the fob codes if you believe the article.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:44 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
hmm interesting...I do like snopes, I never thought to look there. Guess it's not something to really worry about. Thanks for posting that!

Even so, I always use the door button just out of convenience lol
Old 08-03-2010, 03:51 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidcane
Tow truck...really? I have only heard of that in movies. I did not think anyone actually did that.
That is really real here in NYC.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
That is really real here in NYC.
Absolutely. I'm telling you, my best friend since high school has been in the insurance industry for a long time and he says it is the most common way to steal newer cars (if you don't have the keys). Happens all the time!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:56 PM
MSCA
Banned

hmm interesting...I do like snopes, I never thought to look there. Guess it's not something to really worry about. Thanks for posting that!

Even so, I always use the door button just out of convenience lol
Me too. Once the key is in my pocket, it doesn't make sense for me to take it out when I can just press the door handle button instead!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:33 PM
go4gr8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having a car "stolen" is different from having a "claim". It's also different when the "stolen" vehicle is staged. My best guess is that there are some people out there who suddenly cannot afford a G-Coupe or Escalade and need to ditch it immediately.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:32 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by go4gr8
Having a car "stolen" is different from having a "claim". It's also different when the "stolen" vehicle is staged. My best guess is that there are some people out there who suddenly cannot afford a G-Coupe or Escalade and need to ditch it immediately.
That's probably true, but the vast majority of people in that situation would simply sell the vehicle, even at a loss if they needed to get out of the payments. The penalties associated with insurance fraud are pretty severe and not worth the risk to most people.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:48 PM
SleepyMonkey
Registered Member

Originally Posted by go4gr8
people who would do that drive all types of cars - I don't think there would be a proclivity towards G37s for that activity.
It's just a sexy car!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:12 PM
IP-G37S

Was anybody else surprised as to how many GM prodructs were on the list?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Creepers

cant they just track the car via GPS provided the car has NAV? you woulda thunk w/on-star and various communication devices the cops could hunt them down electronically...

__________________________________________________ ___________

like high-end clothes? shop at Gilt and receive up to 90% off designer duds. here's an invitation http://www.gilt.com/invite/wth
buy brands like Cole Haan (my fav), Diesel, Burberry, John Varvatos, etc...
Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Coupe Daddy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IP-G37S
Was anybody else surprised as to how many GM prodructs were on the list?
I was. There were a lot of trucks. I think that is due to two things

1. There are move GM trucks on the road than Ford or Dodge trucks
2. Trucks are targeted by human trafficers and are stolen all the time as a result.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Vehicles are still primarily stolen for parts, not for the vehicle as a whole. The rash of OEM wheel theft in the NorthEast is probably the only reason the G is on the list. This list includes vehicles stolen and vehicles with parts stolen that get reported. But as I said, it only counts the post 3 model years. There's still for more Camrys stolen than G's simply because of the relatively high number of them out there. I think people are taking this way too seriously. Except in NY/NJ where thieves seem to have free hand to steal your stuff every day.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:07 AM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i dunno....if there was an Integra Type R and a G37 parked side by side....99% the ITR gets molested...lol. the G37 is not really a cult car...it just doesn't have the 'it' factor.

Quick Reply: #5 Most Stolen Car in America???